The resort is HUGE. Huge like they need to drive around golf carts to help the lazy people like me from all the walking. My girlfriend and I went with 2 other couples and we had a great time. The drive from San Juan is app. 45 mins with a little traffic. If you are staying here, either plan to stay here the whole time, or rent a car!! Thank god we did. We used it to get to all the activities and excursions.
The staff for the most part is very helpful and friendly. There is always a few no matter where you go that are just there for the paycheck, but majority of the people seemed to enjoy working in the industry. Just a little bit of gratuity (TIP$) goes a long way, so be sure to take care of them! They work hard. The grounds of the place are kept very clean. Now remember, you are NOT in the continental USA, so don't expect EVERYONE on the island to speak english. We actually ran into a few cops who didn't speak english. They were very friendly though.
At the hotel, it was a little annoying to have to remember cards to borrow towels at the pool, but I guess that may be a loss prevention issue for them. The front desk staff was kind of jaded, but everyone else we met were awesome. We did eat at the asian restaurant, the restaurant was nice, they had live mood setting music. The food was mediocre. The prices were fair considering the formal setting of the restaurant.
The hotel is app. 45 minutes from the San Juan airport and 30 minutes from Fajardo. In rush hour, give your self time for the traffic!!!
The lobby has a huge bird cage which was so cool! The beach/lawn has Hammocks, Outdoor games, and they let you borrow golf clubs for mini golf!.
The hotel was great though, I would definetely go back. Go enjoy, have fun, and relax. You are on vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Melia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Despegar.com and Agoda so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande