After hearing that this was Donald Trumps place we had really high hopes for this vacation. The property is beautiful, and the common grounds are very nice, better than you see for most in Puerto Rico, However......as nice as the rooms were, we had a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath, was plenty for 2 people, but the reservation said it sleeps 6! Technically it will sleep six, but I couldn't imagine 6 people in this little space. The 2 beds in our 1 bedroom were hotel style full size only, so if your tall expect your feet to hang off the bed, and if your sleeping 2 full size adults, don't plan on rolling over, because it's not big enough! No wireless internet in the rooms, only in the common areas and at the pool, but they do have the old hard wire plugs! A bit out of date if you ask me, but we were lucky enough to have access to the wireless from our bottom floor patio that faced the pool. With that said, there are private bungalows that are avaliable for RED Level guest only that looked quite nice and had there own private pool and gazebo. The Casino has been removed, but there is a casino 5 minutes down the road at the Wyndam Rio Mar. Our property was basically empty until later in the week when people started coming in for the 2 corporate functions that were booked for the weekend. However the Wyndam was a busy place. The food on property left a bit to be desired...... the food at the pool bar location was typical, not a very good selection and pricey but was good. The breakfast buffet was good, but expensive for what you get, we tried this buffet one evening, and not only was it expensive, but the selection was horrible, I know Donald Trump would not eat this mess, nor would he be happy with the options! so take my advice, and look elsewhere. As for the other 2 restaurants on property......... you need a reservation, even with empty tables all over, you need a reservation, so needless to say, we didn't get to try them because we never knew when or where we actually would be at dinner time. However..... the buffet at the Wyndam Rio Mar looked wonderful and had a line, so must have been much better. They do offer room service, and I will say the dinner we ordered while only Chicken wings and salad, was very good.
I would reccomend renting a car. They offer a shuttle, but it's $35 per person each way to the airport, and thats only a 30 min drive. The property is about 30 min from San Juan, and 30 min from Fajardo, where you catch the ferry to Culebra or Vieques, and 10 minutes from El Yunke rain forrest, so not a bad location at all. Pay the upgrade, and get the GPS in your rental, you will be glad you did, even if they are out of date, and miss roads.
The staff was great upon checkin, not so much at check out. The service left a bit to be desired, but that was probably because of the lack of guest at the resort. All in all, nice property, but a bit of a let down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande