“Beautiful Property, but seams like poor management!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach Boulevard | Road 955-I, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Winter Haven, Florida
“Beautiful Property, but seams like poor management!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

After hearing that this was Donald Trumps place we had really high hopes for this vacation. The property is beautiful, and the common grounds are very nice, better than you see for most in Puerto Rico, However......as nice as the rooms were, we had a 1 bedroom/ 1 bath, was plenty for 2 people, but the reservation said it sleeps 6! Technically it will sleep six, but I couldn't imagine 6 people in this little space. The 2 beds in our 1 bedroom were hotel style full size only, so if your tall expect your feet to hang off the bed, and if your sleeping 2 full size adults, don't plan on rolling over, because it's not big enough! No wireless internet in the rooms, only in the common areas and at the pool, but they do have the old hard wire plugs! A bit out of date if you ask me, but we were lucky enough to have access to the wireless from our bottom floor patio that faced the pool. With that said, there are private bungalows that are avaliable for RED Level guest only that looked quite nice and had there own private pool and gazebo. The Casino has been removed, but there is a casino 5 minutes down the road at the Wyndam Rio Mar. Our property was basically empty until later in the week when people started coming in for the 2 corporate functions that were booked for the weekend. However the Wyndam was a busy place. The food on property left a bit to be desired...... the food at the pool bar location was typical, not a very good selection and pricey but was good. The breakfast buffet was good, but expensive for what you get, we tried this buffet one evening, and not only was it expensive, but the selection was horrible, I know Donald Trump would not eat this mess, nor would he be happy with the options! so take my advice, and look elsewhere. As for the other 2 restaurants on property......... you need a reservation, even with empty tables all over, you need a reservation, so needless to say, we didn't get to try them because we never knew when or where we actually would be at dinner time. However..... the buffet at the Wyndam Rio Mar looked wonderful and had a line, so must have been much better. They do offer room service, and I will say the dinner we ordered while only Chicken wings and salad, was very good.

I would reccomend renting a car. They offer a shuttle, but it's $35 per person each way to the airport, and thats only a 30 min drive. The property is about 30 min from San Juan, and 30 min from Fajardo, where you catch the ferry to Culebra or Vieques, and 10 minutes from El Yunke rain forrest, so not a bad location at all. Pay the upgrade, and get the GPS in your rental, you will be glad you did, even if they are out of date, and miss roads.

The staff was great upon checkin, not so much at check out. The service left a bit to be desired, but that was probably because of the lack of guest at the resort. All in all, nice property, but a bit of a let down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This resort is beautiful, the entire lobby is surrounded by fountains and water. It is a very open resort, the main pool is huge and the grounds are beautiful. The fitness room is also a decent size and accomodating. Our favorite part about the resort was the beach, it is very unique in that it has a lot of palm trees on it, but this also provides a lot of shade which is nice (it also makes for some great pictures). Our room had a garden view and was very spacious. My only complaint is that it did not have a refigerator so we had to get buckets of ice to cool drinks we brought into our room. My husband and his brother had a great time playing the golf course, there is a hole that is right on the ocean. The resort is pretty close to the rainforest and I highly suggest driving up there and checking it out. It is also close to a row of street vendors/restaurants/bars about a mile or two down Rt. 3 (turn left when heading off the resort). The food is pricey on the resort, but all restauants were good. If you have a car, you can easily leave the resort and drive down the road to a cafe to find a cheaper breakfast. I wish the resort had better coffee (a Starbucks or something similar would have been nice). I also found it strange that Pasion wouldn't serve outside, but the sushi restaurant and Italian restaurant did and were both very good.

All in all, a great experience and I would stay there again.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place has beautiful territory and comfortable bungalows. Staff is very helpful and friendly, making your stay even more pleasant. The beach is unique: coral sand, shady palm trees and bushes, hammocks and sunbeds are everywhere (but not too much of them!) There are gazebos in pool areas, for those who want even more comfort. Seabed is sandy-grassy, which is really unique and tender. Not too deep though so somebody looking for water sport, not for relaxation may be disappointed. Restaurants offer fair selection and prices. Central bar is very good and if somebody looking for good traditional cocktail or Caribbean punch – he or she is in the right place. In addition, the place is 15 minutes drive from beautiful rainforest park. I would highly recommend Gran Melia Resort for everyone who wants relax under the sun in the middle of New England winter.

Albany, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were looking for a great escape from the northeast winter. The trip was easy to this very warm and relaxing destination. the common areas in the hotel were lovely, the rooms however were warn and many things did not work properly. the staff was pleasant, and welcoming, but the service was lacking. The pool bar and the Puerto ricean restaurants were good, stay away from the others.
I so much wanted this to be a great vacation based upon the website, but was a little disapointed. would not go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Highland Mills, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just came back from our stay and having stayed in many resorts throughout the island , I have to say this one stacks up nicely. We stayed in the villa section which was nicely outfitted with a large jacuzzi tub and kichenette. These are the sort of amenities provided to the red level patrons with the biggest perk being the assignment of a "butler". Our butler was ABSOLUTELY fantastic (his name is Tony). He offered suggestions, he made appointments and just overall gave us the lay of the property and how to best navigate it. While my son was sisck, he even brought over icecream. On the other hand, we met guests who were not red level guests and the constatnt complaint was that the rooms smelled of mildew and the beds were fragile. One couple moved rooms twice. Its was clearly a different experience from the one we had . Also look up Aileen in the spa - she gives a very good pedicure. she was meticulous and cared about the outcome. Felt like a new woman!

Room Tip: Red level vacation villas are the way to go - private pool but no beach. The bali beds make up for...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Clifton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This resort far exceeded my expectations!!! I got a really good deal from Cheap Caribbean for a long weekend at Gran Melia Golf Resort so I was thinking I can endure anything for the great price for a weekend. Wow, is all I can say! This is a top notch resort with customer service being job one! The resort is gorgeous and clean. The staff were friendly and catered to all our needs. I would stay here again in a minute even without the deep discount. I would highly recommend this resort if you want to be pampered in paradise.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a bad room. We had a deluxe junior garden view suite and it was large and th...
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I feel compelled to write a review of the Gran Melia as I don't understand why there have been so many bad reviews. I travel a lot and stay in some super hotels in lovely locations (thanks to work) but I have to say that this is one of the finest I have experienced.
The grounds are vast, and extremely impressive. The staff were polite and seemed genuine. Every day the people driving the trolleys would say hi. Though we didn't use the trolley service much, the one time we called for it, it came within minutes.
The pool was big and funky, only downside was that it was a little cold. There was a swim up bar.
The beach was OK - nothing great but long enough that you could lounge about without having neighbours too close by. You can't swim too far out in the sea due to the undercurrents but I think that's similar in many places in North Puerto Rico.
The food was a little on the pricey side, but not much different than the prices outside the hotel (unless you want to eat at Wendys!). The lobster and champagne risotto was the best risotto I've ever had. I was disappointed with the dessert size in the Italian but that's a small gripe. The food in the Puerto Rican restaurant was also lovely, especially the red snapper ceviche.
The drinks were pricey - about $10 for a cocktail - but again the prices were the same outside.
The room I stayed in was nothing special, but it was comfortable and had everything I needed.
The hotel really felt like some kind of tropical paradise. There's an on-site mini mart where you can buy almost anything you need. There's a more upmarket market store where we found iced coffee (couldn't find it elsewhere on the island) and the server genuinely cared whether we liked it or not. Great service.
Outside the hotel I was less impressed. We may as well have been in Florida. Food was fantastic, but the beaches weren't anything special (except for our day trip to Culebra). El Yunque rainforest was a disappointment (but consider I'm comparing to Peruvian rainforests/jungle. El Yunque felt like it was designed for tourists who want to experience the rainforest without leaving concrete). Old San Juan was really lovely and probably the highlight along with the biobay tour.
If you're going to Puerto Rico, and especially if you play golf, I think Gran Melia is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms are a lot further away from the beach/pool/lobby so if this troubles you then it's wo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!