“A Truely Honest Review of This Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Save Saved
You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
Atlanta, Georgia
“A Truely Honest Review of This Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I can only be honest about this hotel / resort, I have always been told that everyone has 2 things in common and one of them is their opinion. First let me say that this hotel is way off the beaten path, its about an hour drive from the airport. GPS units dont work for the address given you have to use clubhouse dr. Do upgrade to the Red Level it comes with free Bfast, your own check in and Red Level drinks everyday for 2 hours. It also says Butler service, well only when they have one. Great service when you get there but then it drops off. The money that we spent on this hotel and all the add ons we could of stayed in Old San Juan where the real fun is. If you want to relax and not do anything but live at the resort this is the place.

Room Tip: Dont pay to upgrade to Ocean Front, whirlpool has no privacy can be scene by your neighbors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

2,799 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Polish first
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I'd like to start this review off with the fact that we were married at The Gran Melia. Overall, we had an amazing experience. Maybe it was because we were on cloud nine, it being our wedding and all, but I really don't have anything to complain about. One of the scariest things when planning our wedding was coming home from Puerto Rico (after visiting tons of venues and deciding on the Gran Melia) to read negative review after negative review on here. I was ready to change the venue just based on these reviews, but the hotel was exactly what we wanted in terms of the style and decor of our wedding that we decided to stick with it. I was so concerned that I would check reviews like once a month to see if there was anything positive for a change!

We decided to stay at the Melia the summer before our wedding when we were meeting with vendors. I went into our stay on the lookout for all of the "cons" I'd read on here. I was looking for moldy rooms, smelly phones, rude staff, a long check in and check out process, you name it, I was ready to attack. Instead, we ended up having a great experience. Everyone was so warm and nice, our room that first trip was very basic (the cheapest room), but it was great. We literally had nothing to complain about. Bottom line is this hotel is a resort. Just like any resort, you have resort like food, resort like prices, and resort fees. We ate at the restaurants and yes, they're pricey - you are at a resort, but they were good!! The resort is beautiful and the grounds are gorgeous. We have some of the most beautiful wedding pictures thanks to the setting.

My family is from Puerto Rico and I have stayed at a number of hotels in Puerto Rico (El Conquistador, El San Juan Hotel, La Concha, The Water Club, and Wyndham Rio Mar) this hotel is just on par, if not better than some of the others I have listed. I honestly don't understand why people complain about the distance from San Juan, etc. Do you not look at a map when you travel? Puerto Rico is a big island with lots to see, but a lot of these sites are spaced out throughout the island. If you want to go to PR and don't want to rent a car, then stay in Isla Verde, Condado or Old San Juan. Hotels in any other area are not for you.

My biggest concern with having our wedding at the Melia was that our guests enjoyed their stay! We had a big destination wedding of 140 people. I knew that with that amount of people there was no way that everyone was going to be pleased. Something was bound to happen to someone and I wouldn't be able to control it. Overall, everyone had great experiences! A few of our guests arrived the day before us and by the time we got there they were already in heaven. Half of them were on first name basis with the staff and super friendly with their butlers (for those who had Red Level service). I couldn't have been happier. We chose a Red Level ocean front room for our wedding weekend (as did some of our guests) and it was the best decision we made! The beds were AMAZING!!! I'm not sure about the rooms that had sheets half on the bed and half off, but in the ocean front rooms, it was not like that. I've never slept in such a comfortable bed! It is true that the resort does not replenish the towels every day, but there is a sign in the bathroom stating that they don't in order to conserve energy, water, etc. Whenever, we wanted more towels or items, they brought them to us. Whenever we asked for something, it was granted! I personally didn't see our "butler" that often, but we were so busy running around and spent most of our time hanging out with family and friends at the pool that we didn't really need him. Other guests however were "buddy buddy" with the staff and had nothing but positive things to say. I know that a few people had issues with check in and check out, but overall we got positive feedback about the hotel. I'm sure most people would choose not to burden the bride with negative comments, but having stayed there myself on different occasions, I can trust that when people say they loved it, they truly did!

The beach is rocky, and is not really a swimming beach but the main attraction at this hotel is the pool. It is so wonderful! The in pool loungers are perfect!! However, the beach makes for gorgeous pictures and the sunset is just beautiful! Our guests weren't even eating their dinner the night of our wedding because they were all too busy taking pictures of the sunset! It was breathtaking! We heard over and over that our wedding was the best wedding they'd been to and that the hotel was gorgeous.

I've learned that some people will complain about anything just to complain. So bottom line, this hotel is beautiful, but I would not pay full price for it. Try to get a deal, and try to get a deal with Red Level, because we loooved the Ocean Front room and the hot tub on the balcony. If you are going to stay here, rent a car so you can get around and aren't forced to eat all of your meals at the hotel since the food is pricey and definitely try to get a deal with Red Level, it made our experience that much better!!

Room Tip: If you can budget for it, upgrade to Red Level Ocean Front!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I wanted to get away for our anniversary, and despite the mixed reviews, we chose to stay at the Gran Melia. Let me start from the beginning. According to some directions, the hotel is only 13 miles from the airport. However, it's more like 45 minutes away, if you know exactly where you are going. We got lost using the directions provided by the hotel, and we had to call for help. Maria from the front desk stayed on the phone for the entire time it took us to find our way, and I greatly appreciated that.

Check in was not as hard as some of the reviews suggested. We waited for about ten minutes because there were a couple of guests ahead of us, do this was nothing out of the ordinary from our perspective. When we got to the desk, we had everything explained to us very thoroughly, and I was able to ask all of the questions I had. We signed up for the mas program, in the event we decided to eat breakfast at the hotel. I would suggest doing the paper work right then and there so that you get it out of the way.

We were then driven to our bungalow and it was very clean, spacious, and nicely air conditioned. I did smell a very slight smell, but it did not bother me at all. I have severe allergies and I did not sneeze once during our visit.

It's true- getting ice can be a problem. My husband had to try a series of different times in order to score some ice and it was hit or miss at best.

The hand towels were not replaced everyday as other guests have commented. We were there for one of the days that housekeeping came, and they did a better job that day. I agree that what is used should be replaced, but this wasn't a big deal for me.

We wanted to save money and get an authentic idea of PR cuisine, so we choose to eat off of the resort grounds 90% of the time. We went to La Familia Bakery 2, and our entire meal came to 11 dollars! It was fresh, made to order, and this price included drinks and a dessert. Because we rented a car, this was a better option for us than the $25 buffet offered by the resort.

If you are not comfortable driving in a city, I would suggest staying on the resort or getting a taxi. My husband and I are from Grenada and Queens, NY respectively, and the combination of island/ city driving is something that we are accustomed to. People do what they need to do to get where they are going. The only thing that I was uncomfortable with was that the streets were not clearly marked.

On our actual anniversary, we went to Pasion on te resort. The food was pretty good, but as mentioned, it was overpriced. I expected and budgeted for this. The only reason we went was because it was our anniversary and it seemed like the thing to do. Most nights, we went to El Verde BBQ, and we were very happy with the service, price, and taste of the food.

Regarding getting back to our bungalow.it was a far walk from the main office. However, we are both in shape and we didn't mind walking if a golf car was not readily available. If you are impatient or are unable/unwilling to walk, you may want to reconsider staying here. I am 7 months pregnant, and I think that the exercise was good for me.

The grounds were beautiful, and very well cared for, and overall, this was a very good stay. I can't say excellent because of the varied inconveniences, but we had a great time. I hope this review helps in making informed and well-rounded resort selections.

• Stayed November 2012
Humacao, null, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We are from Humacao and the stay was excellent. The service was always verifying if we needed anything. Everywhere you went was a beautiful scenery. The only thing that I thought was a bit price was the guests parking. From Friday 5:30 pm until Sunday 1:00 pm I paid almost $35 , it's to expensive,for local guests we need a some discount for that .

In overall experience was amazing , and I approve this message , come here and enjoy our paradise.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are easy to walk all resort
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Since the hotel is affiliated with the Trump International golf course we thought we would be staying in a good place but our bad experience started at the airport where the shuttle the hotel arranged (through a sub-contractor) was not a pick up for us but a bus for many. We were supposed to wait more than 30 minutes for other people and pay $37.50 per person. Taxis, readily available and spacious cost $69 for both of us. When we arrived the check-in took a long time and our suite was not available until after 5pm. We tried to eat something while we waited for our room and got a Caesar salad with dressing coming in a plastic pouch. My wife tried to arrange a quick treatment at the spa but the earliest an appointment was available for 2 days later, although we were staying in their high end "Red Level" Suite which was supposed to have priority. The pool and outside facilities were not as clean and maintained as we would have expected from - what they call themselves - a 5 star resort, so we checked out before we checked in and went to the St. Regis nearby. Of course more expensive but worthwhile the move. I would highly recommend everybody NOT to go to the Gran Melia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend. We bid on priceline and got a very nice room for $80 a night. The property was beautiful, staff was helpful, and pool was great. However at checkout we did get charged a $12/night resort fee which was not expected. Apparently priceline is the only company who does not include this (according to the hotel staff). Our stay was better since I had read alot of reviews before going and knew some pitfalls to avoid. For example, we rented a car from Avis so we could park for free in the Avis lot. We bought instant oatmeal to make for breakfast in order to avoid the $25 (!!!!) breakfast buffet. We were looking for an economical break in a nice facility and this was a great choice for us. The location was close to El Yunque, Fajardo, and the ferry to Culebra. As long as you have a car, it is a good choice.

Room Tip: Our room was great and very well cleaned every day.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First of all, the distance from the airport was greatly exaggerated. We rented a car and seemed like it took no more than 25-30 minutes to get there. Extremely easy drive. Don't worry about the crazy drivers, you'll never encounter them because the main highway from the airport takes you right out of San Juan onto Rio Grande. Even with parking ($16/day) you can still come out ahead once you factor in the cost of round trip airport transfers.

After reading reviews I was worried about the check in process, but it was a breeze. We were shuttled to our rooms via golf cart, which was cool. If you can, ask to be in bungalow #15; you are close to the pool, ice machine, spa, beach and parking lot. I booked for $80/night on Priceline, so we got the bare bones room, but it was more than adequate in space.

As I mentioned earlier, there were quite a few problems that we encountered. First, the ice machine was not working the first night, when I called I was told to call room service, and request cups of ice. Of course, room service is not free, so I have to pay because YOUR machine is out of ice? There is a pullout sofa bed, but the sofa did not smell too great, I wouldn't even sit on it during our stay. The internet charge is $14.95/day, and that is only for wired internet; only one connected device at a time which is a huge inconvenience since my wife in school and I also wanted to access the internet as well.

When we went to get towels for the pool we were asked for towel cards??? Apparently at check in no one bothered to tell us that we would need these cards if we wanted to use towels, so we had to walk back to the front desk to get cards, then back to the towel hut...

For some reason we were never given washcloths; housekeeping would clean the room, replace hand & body towels, but never replaced the washcloths. It got old having to call every day to have some brought up to our room. How is this not part of the normal housekeeping routine? Bed linens were the worst I have ever seen. Admittedly, it was news to me that hotels do not use fitted sheets, (wife had to clue me in to this) because this was the first time that I have experienced sheets coming halfway off the mattress every night. I hated that. Perhaps they need to use larger flat sheets or just do a better job of tucking them like they do at other hotels.

They have a convenience store near the front lobby that we used the first night we were there and just had a sandwich. 45 minutes later my wife sent me back to store for feminine products she forgot at home so I got there at about 10:48 PM. No problem, since they are open until 11:00, right? So I open the door only to have a guy (who did not appear to work there and was not there when we had made our previous purchase) pull the door shut, saying that they were closed. I then looked at the posted hours to confirm that they should have been open, and he just continued to rudely say WE'RE CLOSED! The two ladies working there just stood and watched. I don't think that I have ever had that happen to me before, not even here in the states. Definitely put a bad taste in my mouth for the remainder of the stay.

We never ate on property, the high prices were to be expected; as you have no other options unless you have a car or are willing to pay taxi fare for meals. I did think that the property was beautiful, but I find the "resort" designation to be a stretch, at best. The $15 per day resort fee will be added onto your bill upon checkout, but I found activities to be pretty much non-existent.

On to more good stuff...Renting a car was the best decision I could have made. We were able to venture out and have some great meals! We went to La Familia Bakery 2 pretty much every day for breakfast. The Luquillo quiosks were close, we ate there once at La Parilla. Also El Verde BBQ was great! We also were able to drive into El Yunque Rain Forest Park without having to pay for a guided tour. Taking our time and being able to explore the park at our leisure was awesome!

Back to the resort; we all enjoyed the pools, and views from the beach were great. We did get tons of great photos of iguanas, hermit crabs and various birds. The guys running the shuttles were great about giving us rides to and from the parking lot, but we were so close that sometimes we just walked. We had the 8 month old with us, so it was definitely appreciated.

All in all, we still had a great time. Having the car was a lifesaver, had we been confined to the resort it could have been the worst trip ever. If I could, I would probably rate this property 3.5 stars, but there were just too many issues for me to give it four so three it is. If you can get this property on a deal, go for it. Otherwise it just is not worth paying anything north of $100 nightly in my opinion.

Room Tip: Bungalow 15 is a short walk to pretty much everything.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!