My husband and I wanted to get away for our anniversary, and despite the mixed reviews, we chose to stay at the Gran Melia. Let me start from the beginning. According to some directions, the hotel is only 13 miles from the airport. However, it's more like 45 minutes away, if you know exactly where you are going. We got lost using the directions provided by the hotel, and we had to call for help. Maria from the front desk stayed on the phone for the entire time it took us to find our way, and I greatly appreciated that.
Check in was not as hard as some of the reviews suggested. We waited for about ten minutes because there were a couple of guests ahead of us, do this was nothing out of the ordinary from our perspective. When we got to the desk, we had everything explained to us very thoroughly, and I was able to ask all of the questions I had. We signed up for the mas program, in the event we decided to eat breakfast at the hotel. I would suggest doing the paper work right then and there so that you get it out of the way.
We were then driven to our bungalow and it was very clean, spacious, and nicely air conditioned. I did smell a very slight smell, but it did not bother me at all. I have severe allergies and I did not sneeze once during our visit.
It's true- getting ice can be a problem. My husband had to try a series of different times in order to score some ice and it was hit or miss at best.
The hand towels were not replaced everyday as other guests have commented. We were there for one of the days that housekeeping came, and they did a better job that day. I agree that what is used should be replaced, but this wasn't a big deal for me.
We wanted to save money and get an authentic idea of PR cuisine, so we choose to eat off of the resort grounds 90% of the time. We went to La Familia Bakery 2, and our entire meal came to 11 dollars! It was fresh, made to order, and this price included drinks and a dessert. Because we rented a car, this was a better option for us than the $25 buffet offered by the resort.
If you are not comfortable driving in a city, I would suggest staying on the resort or getting a taxi. My husband and I are from Grenada and Queens, NY respectively, and the combination of island/ city driving is something that we are accustomed to. People do what they need to do to get where they are going. The only thing that I was uncomfortable with was that the streets were not clearly marked.
On our actual anniversary, we went to Pasion on te resort. The food was pretty good, but as mentioned, it was overpriced. I expected and budgeted for this. The only reason we went was because it was our anniversary and it seemed like the thing to do. Most nights, we went to El Verde BBQ, and we were very happy with the service, price, and taste of the food.
Regarding getting back to our bungalow.it was a far walk from the main office. However, we are both in shape and we didn't mind walking if a golf car was not readily available. If you are impatient or are unable/unwilling to walk, you may want to reconsider staying here. I am 7 months pregnant, and I think that the exercise was good for me.
The grounds were beautiful, and very well cared for, and overall, this was a very good stay. I can't say excellent because of the varied inconveniences, but we had a great time. I hope this review helps in making informed and well-rounded resort selections.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Puerto Rico
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Río Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Sol Melia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Amex, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Venere, EasyToBook, Olotels, Stentorian NV, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.