“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach Boulevard | Road 955-I, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Los Angeles, California
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Property- Breautiful grounds, well manicured, probably the best thing about the whole place.

Staff- Front desk was professional and courteous. Housekeeping was lacking as they never brought the same amount of towels each day so I had to call for towels on once occasion. Also, there was nothing to put in the door to tell the housekeeping to tend to the room or not so one time they came at the door at 8:00am I said no we were still there and then they never came back, so our room was not cleaned that day.

Room- Nice, nothing special, seats on chairs at table were dirty.

Pool- Nice and big but needs tile cleaned, pool bar closed at 6pm which is a complaint I heard about.

Beach-Choppy water, small area of sand (just a few feet, depending on the tide), grassy bluff right at beach with chairs looking out at water, so if you dont care if you are sitting on sand or water to look out at the ocean then it doesnt matter.

Hotel policies- No cooler policy is ridiculous and greedy. I assume they dont want coolers (and yes there is a sign) because they want you to eat at their restaurants. We have a 2.5 year old and I am not going to take her to a restaurant for each meal and I dont want to want to eat out every meal either. We bought a small foam cooler for $3 at walmart. We were stopped by security one day bringing it from the car and we told them it was for our child and then the said it could be brought in, but was quite annoying. Added $1 to my check out bill for Unicef without checking with me, not nice.

Restaurant- Went to the breakfast restaurant only, El Solie (something like that) Breakfast buffet is $24 but if you sign up for their Mas Club at main desk you get %50 off. It was ok.
Red Level- DONT GET THIS! I did not get this option. One person that I spoke to couldnt wait to talk to the general manager as his $800 upgrade was a joke. When I was checking out there was a lady at the front desk complaining about her $700 red level was so bad as she waited 20 min. for someone to pick her up (they use golf carts to get around property) to take her to breakfast but they never showed up. She then waited 45 minutes at the restaurant for a menu. She went on and on and was extremely upset about the service.

Car- We rented a car for a week at Thrifty for $60 for a Ford Focus. Beware as they close by 10pm and so if you are gonna arrive late it will be a problem, Avis I believe is open 24 hours. Drove around alot, lots of fast food within 3miles. Hotel is 1.5 miles down very quiet road off main highway. Hardly any street signs.

Room Tip: Apparently it can be a long walk to get ice from some rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I spend four days in a insolated hotel with not that many choices went is come to dinning. I was part of my sorority convention and all the food served in our activities were badly prepared (Filet Mignon dry and burn) The cook at the pasta station did not know how to mix items properly and when I was served my pasta was sitting on a swamp of olive oil and a pesto topping. My friend was not able to eat because of her sea food allergies, as we notice the pasta station cook grabbed a spoon from the near by sea food paella station and cross contaminated the pasta station. At the end an horrible experience. I had to leave the activity and the hotel just to be fed in another location. Get a new executive chef or this hotel is going to be bankrupt soon.

• Stayed October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

First and foremost, I would like to thank "The Butler" Tony Roman for his
gracious and impeccable mannerism. This lead me to believe I chose the
right resort. His professionalism, attentiveness and personal touches made
my husband's 50th Birthday one to remember. If decorating the room for our
arrival wasn't enough; he planned all of restaurant reservations and tours.
For the concluding part of our stay, he decorated not only our room but the
other couple's rooms as well with candles, fresh flowers and created towel
animals. Very nice gesture. He is truly a dedicated member and an asset at
this beautiful resort. I would return without reservation. Since I am a
travel agent; I would definitely recommend this resort to all of my clients.
Karen and James

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I saved a few hundred dollars booking a package deal through Travelocity. The location is not the best as it is far from San Juan/nightlife/good restaurants. Service was always top notch and personal. Rooms were clean and I did not notice any smells anywhere around the resort. The pool is amazing; the beach is not a swimmable one. I was amazed by the decor, furnishings, and landscaping. Parking is charged daily but you can pay for your entire stay.

Safe Travels!
James
Detailed reviews and pictures @ http://hohumtravels.blogspot.com/2012/09/puerto-rico-first-impression-and-gran.html

Room Tip: Keep in mind where the ice machines are when choosing a room, and try to stay closer to the pools, l...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mystic, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our experience with the facilities and the service was very good. It's tough to go off season because not all of the amenities are operational.

Our "Butler" Ely was hands down one of the nicest, kindest, and the most helpful person that we encountered at the resort. Anything we wanted, he was more than happy to help and always with a smile. The bartender at the Red Level Pool, Gustav, was awesome! He made sure he kept our glass full! Llano was the security person at the pool and he just did an outstanding job for us. If we needed Ely for something, Llano would call him, if we needed a drink, he'd have Gustav make us one!

The room was very nice - a few of the reviews stated that they smelled musty and I would agree but it was not offensive and didn't bother my allergies one bit. It's the tropics......the rooms are always closed up with the air on. The bed and pillows were super comfy, the bathroom was very spacious. The sitting area was a nice bonus too. Keep in mind, no refrigerators. If you want one you pay for it. If you don't care about the ocean view I wouldn't spend the extra $50/night for it. You are very close to the ocean anyway and let's face it - you can't see it when it's dark and when it was light we were at the pool which is oceanside. The jacuzzi tub on the patio was a joke. When you turned the very weak jets on it sounded like a 747 landing.

Restaurants - as I said above, not all of the restaurants are open all of the time. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. If you go the Red Level route, it's FREE! There are only two options for lunch- room service or the pool bar/restaurant. We had appetizers at Passion one night, they were very small but tasty. We wanted to go back for dinner but it wasn't open on any of the other nights we were there. We ended up at Tempo one night. I wanted Bolognese and was informed that they were out. I ordered the gnocchi and then miracle upon miracle was served the Bolognese..it was very good. My husband ordered fish - it was a VERY small piece for the money and it came with nothing. No veggies, no starch - just a tiny piece of fish for over $30. They really do have you at their mercy if you don't rent a car. It was the only little glitch in an otherwise very relaxing stay. Our intent for the trip was to just decompress from our hectic lives and it fit the bill nicely.

The Spa........oh the Spa.........instead of spending an extra $50/night on your room where you are sleeping, spend it at the spa. We indulged in 2 massages and 1 facial each. They are pricey but well worth it. All of the providers we had were awesome! It helped that we had a 20% discount card for spa services. I'm not sure if that is just a Cheap Carribean thing? That's who we booked through.

Really, the only complaint I would have would be that when you dine out, get room service etc you are not given a copy of the charges. I had to keep a running total on a piece of paper because it's very easy to lose track. The bill was easy enough to read once you figured out the dates went backwards instead of forward but each and every charge is broken out so it's rather cumbersome.

Room Tip: Red Level is the way to go if only for the adult only pool and the free Palapa beds at the pool as w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this resort for a week in May 2011 sponsored by the company he worked for. To be honest, my first impression was "WOW" but my first impression didn't last long.
First of all, this resort is waaay isolated. You have to have a shuttle taking you in to the resort.
Second, you CAN NOT swim at their beach, full of rocks and corals. Not White sand. You can sunbathe though.
Third, there are restaurants inside the resort, but they are pricey. But you don't have a choice, unless you have a ride going out somewhere.

BUT, having said that. The resort it beautiful, Rooms were spacious and gorgeous, love the jacuzzi in the balcony. Bathroom was also great. they have a gym, the swimming pool was also great and clean. There was another pool for adults only. We used their ballroom for an event, and it was great, food was nice, but could've been better. there's also a spa, their staff is very friendly.

In short, enjoyed our stay. this resort is great for golfers, they have a golf course inside the grounds.

Room Tip: If visiting Puerto Rico, a Must see is the El Yunque Rainforest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The only detail that wasn't so good is that the tv on on the room was too old. Out of that the employees were great and helpful. Richard the bartender make an excellent job keeping everybody smiling and happy at the bar. On the pool Joseph was great and at the lobby Jared was also doing a great job receiving and helping the guest.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!