Property- Breautiful grounds, well manicured, probably the best thing about the whole place.
Staff- Front desk was professional and courteous. Housekeeping was lacking as they never brought the same amount of towels each day so I had to call for towels on once occasion. Also, there was nothing to put in the door to tell the housekeeping to tend to the room or not so one time they came at the door at 8:00am I said no we were still there and then they never came back, so our room was not cleaned that day.
Room- Nice, nothing special, seats on chairs at table were dirty.
Pool- Nice and big but needs tile cleaned, pool bar closed at 6pm which is a complaint I heard about.
Beach-Choppy water, small area of sand (just a few feet, depending on the tide), grassy bluff right at beach with chairs looking out at water, so if you dont care if you are sitting on sand or water to look out at the ocean then it doesnt matter.
Hotel policies- No cooler policy is ridiculous and greedy. I assume they dont want coolers (and yes there is a sign) because they want you to eat at their restaurants. We have a 2.5 year old and I am not going to take her to a restaurant for each meal and I dont want to want to eat out every meal either. We bought a small foam cooler for $3 at walmart. We were stopped by security one day bringing it from the car and we told them it was for our child and then the said it could be brought in, but was quite annoying. Added $1 to my check out bill for Unicef without checking with me, not nice.
Restaurant- Went to the breakfast restaurant only, El Solie (something like that) Breakfast buffet is $24 but if you sign up for their Mas Club at main desk you get %50 off. It was ok.
Red Level- DONT GET THIS! I did not get this option. One person that I spoke to couldnt wait to talk to the general manager as his $800 upgrade was a joke. When I was checking out there was a lady at the front desk complaining about her $700 red level was so bad as she waited 20 min. for someone to pick her up (they use golf carts to get around property) to take her to breakfast but they never showed up. She then waited 45 minutes at the restaurant for a menu. She went on and on and was extremely upset about the service.
Car- We rented a car for a week at Thrifty for $60 for a Ford Focus. Beware as they close by 10pm and so if you are gonna arrive late it will be a problem, Avis I believe is open 24 hours. Drove around alot, lots of fast food within 3miles. Hotel is 1.5 miles down very quiet road off main highway. Hardly any street signs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Melia, getaroom.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande