The Gran Melia Golf Resort is a large and very beautiful clean property. It's about a 15 minute drive to the main road so you can't really walk to a restaurant or store. There is practically no beach and the little beach they have is hard on the feet, lots of rocks and shells. The pool is lovely. The beds they show around the pool you have to rent, they are roped off. I was very surprised to see that. They show them in the brochure and you would think they would be included.
The food was nothing spectacular and the prices outrageous. Not enough dining areas for that large of a property. One evening my dinner took over 1 hour to get and we had to inquire about it, I think she forgot. The cost $27.00 for 6 shrimp/a cup of rice...have a look. It tasted good and for me the portion was OK...but for my husband, this is an appetizer! One afternoon we ordered a family size pizza...(it wasn't really that big, my husband could have eaten all of it) and it was hard and didn't taste that great. One Hamburger and 2 fries, cost $25.00. All the guests we talked to were not impressed with the food at the resort and thought the prices were way to high as well.
I would probably only recommend this hotel to golfers.
I would also recommend renting a car so you can leave the property for dinner and the site seeing is easy to get to as well. The main road once you get out of the hotel has an outlet mall, Wal-Mart, McDonalds and several stores. This road also leads you to the Rain Forest and Old San Juan. Driving there was very easy...I didn't want to give up the car! :)
Overall, Puerto Rico is a lovely destination and I would highly recommend it as a vacation destination. Old San Juan is so beautiful as well as the Rain Forest. There is lots to see and do in Puerto Rico and we always felt safe.
I would love to go back and explore more of Puerto Rico. Really lovely place and friendly people.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Puerto Rico
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Río Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Sol Melia Hotels and Resorts US, Agoda, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.