My wife and I have gone to Puerto Rico for short 3-4 day get-aways before. We have stayed mainly at the Ritz just off the airport. Having heard of the new St Regis we decided to give it a try.
Overall - this is a resort - one you can get away from everything. There is nothing like this in San Juan. its quiet and relaxing with a golf course, boat house and jogging/bike paths. Its off the beaten path. The plus is it is a quiet getaway - the downside is, there isn't much to do at night if you are looking to party. San Juan is probably a 40 minute drive.
The property itself is spectacular. Well detailed - everything new. The room we had (Garden view king size) was really nice. HUGE bathroom and nice big open space. A great balcony that overlooked the garden and part of the pool. The property is connect by elevated boardwalk walkways. Instead of one big building, there are multiple smaller units that sink easier into the landscape. They have an Audubon designation. Pool is excellent and so is the beach.
The staff is incredible. You have a butler assigned to you that will bring everything from movies to coffee. There are also little touches like hand crafted tiles they leave everyday.
This was a really beautiful place. The spa was probably the nicest spa I've been to. Koi ponds, sauna, steam room, sitting areas all in open air environment. It blows away the spa at the Ritz.
The downside is limited food options. There are only three restaurants on the resort. One is a Fern, a high-end Jean George restaurant. Excellent food - -even more excellent prices (for them). Molasses is local food location at the golf course. The food here is excellent, a little less pricey and more local flavor selections. The last is the spot by the pool with typical pool-side fare. You could hike offsite but there didn't appear to be anything close to the resort.
Another downside - price. This place isn't for the feint of heart. Granted its a St. Regis so be prepared for $10 poolside coffee and $8 OJ's. A bowl of fruit and some yogurt with granola ran $48 on morning - I usually have a high tolerance for sticker shock but even I was taken aback at some items.
And to put some rumors to rest - the drive the airport wasn't bad. 40 minutes to and 30 back. We encountered no traffic. The service issues (if they had any) are definitely resolved. You couldn't walk 20 years without someone asking you if you needed anything.
Great escape for 3-4 days - but its a very different escape than staying in San Juan.
I definitely would go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designated as Puerto Rico’s first and only AAA Five Diamond resort and the leader in luxury on the island and in the Caribbean, The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico has been designed with the entire family in mind, providing a variety of extraordinary services and activities that will keep all guests entertained from sunrise to sunset. Located on a former 483 acre coconut plantation, it is nestled between El Yunque National Forest and the sparkling Atlantic Ocean on the northeast coast of Puerto Rico. Certified Gold Audubon Signature Sanctuary, the lush Resort features a tennis center, a golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., as well as 4 miles of nature trails, 70 acres of lakes and a boat house for water sports. The intimate St. Regis Bahia Beach boasts 139 rooms including 35 suites, where The St. Regis’ iconic Butler service is available. Most of the guestrooms overlook amazing ocean and garden views setting a new standard in luxury accommodations, service levels and facilities for the Caribbean. An indulging Remède Spa and the exquisite dining options will delight all senses, including Fern Restaurant, featuring culinary creations by world famous Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Molasses Restaurant, St. Regis Bar and Seagrapes. In addition, abundant banquet space is available to accommodate a variety of outdoor or indoor events. Featuring amazing ocean or garden views, it is the perfect setting for small or big gatherings as well as weddings. The elegant tropical magnificence of The St. Regis Bahia Beach creates a world for its guests that they will never want to leave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Hotel Rio Grande
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Puerto Rico/Rio Grande