“Perfect long weekend retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort to your Saves list
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   State Road 187 kilometer 4.2, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
Alexandria, VA
“Perfect long weekend retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I planned the weekend here as a surprise for my husband's MBA graduation. It also served as a wonderful babymoon getaway. We were looking for a peaceful, relaxing time away from the daily stress of two demanding, full-time jobs and raising two little boys. From the moment we pulled up to the resort, we were amazed by the surrounding beauty. The standard king size room was one of the largest rooms I have ever had and the bathroom was amazing (complete with a TV in the mirror). The pool was beautiful and offered just as much shade as sun. And watching the iguanas feast on the lush surroundings was fun. We spent one afternoon in old San Juan, but remained on the property for 2.5 days and tried all of the restaurants, which were excellent. Finally, the service was just what you would expect from St. Regis. I would love to go back again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our stunning resort.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby and your husband’s MBA graduation!

We are honored that you chose the St. Regis Bahía Beach as the perfect retreat from your busy schedule and to celebrate such momentous occasions.

We are thrilled that you indulged in our elegantly designed guest rooms, including even hidden conveniences such as the bathroom TV concealed in the mirror! Our desire is that you enjoy all the comforts of home within the most magnificent and seductive surroundings. As you point out, our magical, tropical surroundings set the stage for a fabulous vacation, and every reason why we are proud to be the first Certified Gold Audubon Signature Sanctuary in the Caribbean.

We hope to welcome the entire family back to our little slice of heaven, in the near future.

714 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Corpus Christi, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Hi! I have waited 4 months to write this review in hopes that time would heal the pain & stress of this horrible stay at the Bahia Beach St Regis in Puerto Rico. Time has helped a little bit so this reveiw wont be as bad as it should be. TIP: If you are going to El Yunque rainforest you can rent a car and drive from San Juan. It's not too far and it is very easy to get to. If you are looking for a place to stay near El Yunque like we were and you realize there are only 2 good hotel choices save yourself some grief and stay in San Juan and just rent a car. I am going to start my reveiw with saying I am amazed to read great comments from guests about this property. Not to diss anyone who had a great stay but I guess either they haven't stayed at many 5 star hotels and are not used to being treated exceptionally or maybe they got good service if they stayed with a large corporation retreat. I am used to paying for great service and accomodations but at the Bahia Beach St Regis I did not get treated exceptionally. I got the suite with the butler service and the deep tub and the rain showerhead but I expect those with my suite. It is the aweful service I am complaining about. I would like to note that I did see one large corporate function get treated with the respect and courtesy I am used to receiving at St Regis properties. Which is proof that they know how to do it here at the Bahia Beach but it seems to me they only step it up for large corporate retreats not for a measly $1300 per night. Yes that is correct - I paid $1300 a night for a suite & that didn't even have an ocean view and that price did not include resort fees and the resort fees don't include use of the spa facilities. I had to pay extra to use the sauna in the spa since the resort fees don't cover that! Please let me recount the ways I was not treated exceptionally. #1) My room did not have flowers even on day one. #2) I had to beg for bath salts every day and some of the workers didn't even know what they were! #3) I got woken up at 7AM by leaf blowers right outside my patio. #4) I couldn't check my email because the business office couldn't get my yahoo email to be allowed to be viewed on their internet. #5) When we showed up we weren't greated at the door like we usually are. We had to find someone and it wasn't until we gave them our credit card that we were offered the customary cocktail. #6) The sunset champange salute wasn't even done with champange and then they didn't even offer any to anyone in attendance. We were all told to go to the bar & buy some! #7) At the poolside restaurant we couldn't get a good table or good service because they decided to have a st regis staff meeting at lunch. These are just a few of the bad things I still remember 4 months later after this stay. I was sooo happy that my stay was over I couldn't wait to check out and go on to the next leg of my trip.

Room Tip: Stay in San Juan
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience regarding your four months ago visit to our resort.

Allow us to preface with an apology for your disappointment, as this is certainly not indicative of the sophisticated level of bespoke service that has become the St. Regis trademark and legacy.

We do wish that we would have been able to reverse your impression prior to your departure, and hope you will still return to the St. Regis Bahia Beach. Rest assured, your generous feedback is crucial for us to improve in these areas, and has been addressed with the appropriate departments.

On a positive note, we are thrilled that you truly indulged in our plantation-style suites and luxurious bathrooms, all accentuated by our celebrated St. Regis Butler service. How wonderful that you were also marveled by our El Yunque rainforest, one of the very few rainforests left in the world, and the only one under the US flag, providing a magical quality to our lush tropical surroundings.

We would look forward to treating you to the uncompromising service which our distinguished guests are accustomed to. Should you wish to share any further feedback, we are available at your convenience.

Thank you for the gift of feedback and the opportunity to address your concerns.

tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We came back home from a trip to Puerto Rico yesterday. Our intention was to spend a weekend in a five star hotel and not move from the hotel. My husband and I were born and raised in the island so we just wanted to pamper ourselves. We arrived on saturday and I have to say that the road leading to the entrance and all the landscape is gorgeous. We were so impressed. The entrance is amazing and the staff was very welcoming. We were greeted in a professional manner. Always called by our last names with a lot of respect. We were offered rum punch and our two children were treated extremely nice. We finally arrived at our room 732. The room looked beautiful. We started to unpack when I realized that there were finger prints around the frame of the closet doors. These were not just little finger prints they were red and huge. They looked like somebody had cut his finger and left the fingerprints all over. The carpet was uncleaned, the table by the balcony was far from clean and to make matters worse when I opened the water in the bathtub I had to rinse hairs from previous guests. I decided to clean all the stuff myself. I did not want to spoil my vacation. Children were hungry and we wanted to get a quick snack. The boutique store ( thats how they call it) was closed so we went to the bar where we were told we could get quick meals in an informal setting. Kids menus were given to us and to my surprise there was nothing friendly about that menu. They didn't have nuggets or anything like that. The only thing that we thought my small children could have was their chicken. They served a chicken breast with steam spinach for eleven dollars. What two or seven year old likes to eat steam spinach? I knew then I was in for a wild ride. The next day we went to the pool area. Pretty much all seats and cabanas were taken. We ended up with two chairs and no shade. We proceeded to have lunch by the pool. The service was great, the setting is awesome and the food mediocre. We had a very expensive lunch and went kayaking. We loved their setting at the boat house. The staff was really nice and provided us with all the things to go kayaking. We loved our time in the water. We decided to try Melasas their upscale restaurant. Then again the staff was superb and the service was really good. I chose one of the most expensive dishes to see if I could get high end cuisine with a high price tag. I had the 35 dollars prawns. The dish comes with three or four large prawns in my case overcooked. The sauce overpowered the natural taste of the prawns. There was nothing creative about that dish and nothing memorable. The dessert was the guava panacotta. It has so much sugar that I couldn't taste guava at all. Once more I was disappointed by their culinary display. I consider myself a world traveler and one of the things I am most proud off about Puerto Rico is their gastronomy. We have amazing and talented chefs all around the island and to my surprise none of them work in this hotel. Overall the food was pretty bad. Coming back to our room we noticed that the elevator in our building was not working. We reported it hoping for it to be fixed for our check out the next morning. Our last day( monday) we decided to go to the boat house. We noticed that only one person was available to handle the curbside. We waited for at least 20 minutes for transportation to the boat house. The employees seemed tired and no one was available to open and close the heavy door at the entrance. It seemed like a different hotel all together. We went to the boat house and we were not greeted like before. Employees were less happy that morning. We couldn't go biking because they didn't not have enough bikes for us. My kids were disappointed and so were we. My husband went back to the hotel with the children and I decided to go walking on the trail. I noticed employees were gathering in different areas and they were talking about the things they did during the weekend and they didn't seemed eager to work. As I walked I heard employees laughing and singing out loud while driving their little golf cars. The image of the sophisticated five star hotel that I was presented during the weekend was no longer there. Time to check out. Elevator didn't work. We called someone to come get our suitcases. We left the hotel feeling sad. We never saw the cleaning of our room improve. On the contrary hallways got nothing but dirtier. The staff was no longer professional. They were calling my husband by his first name and in a very informal manner. We left the hotel hoping it will stay in the past. When we went to the airport we realized that the handle of one of our suitcase had been broken. They were perfectly fine when they came to pick them up at our room. So what happened? That will never know because nobody had the courtesy to let us know. I am sad to say that this is not a five star hotel. They need better cleaning and food to say the least to match a true five star hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guests,

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach.

Thank you for taking the time to post share your comments regarding your recent visit to our resort.

Allow me to preface with an apology for the service mishaps which you and your family encountered. We can only imagine how disappointed you were, considering you are from Puerto Rico and had understandably high expectations for your first visit to our home in paradise. We can assure you this is highly unusual, and regret that you left with a less than exemplary experience. As you point out, the St. Regis is world-renowned for its legacy of excellence, and we strive to achieve that goal consistently.

In an effort to reverse your previous impression, we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back so that we may show you a true uncompromising St. Regis experience.

We do look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Warm regards,

Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a magnificent hotel! The service was amazing, the grounds were gorgeous, our room was stunning - everything was first class. We loved breakfast on the outdoor terrace at Fern while we enjoyed the view of the grounds and the ocean, followed by lunch poolside at Seagrapes (our waitress, Clarissa, was really first-rate), walking to our room at night while being serenaded by the coqui, and just being made to feel truly welcomed by every staff member with whom we came into contact. It was truly a wonderful experience. Our room was lovely, with a walk-in closet, huge rainforest-type shower, great soaking tub, a patio with a sofa that was great for relaxing, and a really comfortable king-sized bed. We can't wait to return. And with the new highway, it was an easy drive of only about 30 minutes into San Juan.

Room Tip: I can't imagine a room there that isn't first rate. We were on one side of the resort and o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to our resort.

Your brief and perfect description is precisely what we intend for every guest – absolute serenity combined with luxury, and wonderful cuisine. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a week of exploring and adventure on our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

We sincerely appreciate your kudos for Clarissa at Seagrapes, our seductive poolside bar & grill restaurant. Our staff are extremely dedicated to ensure that all of your culinary desires are absolutely fulfilled.

Thank you for the gift of feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away form home, in the near future.

Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have stayed at the St. Regis Bahia Beach twice now and the second time was even better. We are considering making this an annual visit as we can never get enough. The property is just amazing with all the guest room set in the middle of a former coconut plantation with private beach as far as you can see. It is very private and you always fill very secure. The staff are professional while remaining warm and engaging. Just about every location of the resort someone was there to see if you needed anything and in a genuine way. I always hate going to hotels where the staff seem like robots as if they are programmed to say the same words over and over again until it becomes so annoying. The restaurants were always fantastic. Joel at the Fern is terrific, Orlando at Molasses (local cuisine) couldn't be better, Carlos at Seagrapes at the pool always made sure we were well taken care off and even brought us rum cocktail served in a coconut from the trees at the resort. Now that's pretty cool. Pool is so well designed and plentiful. We noticed both couples and families. Resort caters comfortably to everyone.

We will return to this beautiful St. Regis resort!!!!

Room Tip: Great couples or family resort. Buildings 6 to 10 are closest to pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.
We are thrilled you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and long to return!

One of our Core Values at St. Regis is to indulge our guests in captivating surroundings from the moment you arrive, until your departure.

You experienced precisely what our master planners intended – the ultimate, uncompromising retreat, which captures the defining personality of each location.

Your compliments for Joel, Orlando and Carlos from our fabulous restaurants, Fern, Molasses, and Seagrapes, are truly appreciated and very rewarding to our St. Regis family.

We do hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

Wood Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the St. Regis Bahia Beach last week and it was really wonderful. The staff was so friendly and attentive. We were were upgraded to a suite (being platinum Starwood members) which came with butler service. The suite was gorgeous, with a rainforest shower, deep tub, large patio area... just beautiful. Juan, our butler, was great-- he was friendly, helpful, and turned up at random times (by the pool, at dinner) to see if we needed anything. He set us up to have complimentary coffee sent up to the room each morning which arrived as we requested at 7am on the button.

We found the resort to feel secluded and quiet, and despite being told that the hotel was at 70% capacity, we never felt that there were many people around. We had absolutely no trouble finding a spot at the pool or getting a table for a meal. There are only 3 restaurants on the resort, but we found the food to be very good and even though we stayed for 5 nights we were able to find different things to eat each day. We also used the spa which was lovely. I was surprised to find that it was mostly outdoors, with little cabanas where treatments were given. After our couples massage we were offered a glass of champagne and sat on the lounge chairs outside-- bliss! All in all I do not have anything but good things to say about the trip. It was really wonderful from start to finish-- wish I could go back now!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort.

We are pleased that you indulged in our well-orchestrated guest experience, and discovered that every aspect of our little paradise met your fulfillment.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the not too distant future.

Thank you for the gift of feedback.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Bliss almost all the time

This was one of our last moment family vacations. It was our first visit to PR.
This is a beautiful property secluded in paradise. Our upgraded room was awesome. The pool and the beach are incredible. A paradise to yourself.
The service needs improvement overall. For the price and the class of this property, one would expect greater service. For us the butler was invisible. It was very difficult to communicate because the phone lines were constantly down.
Food: Fern has decent food but it is very limited and snob. It has the price for this type of property, but not the quality and selection of food. You will get bored soon. Molasses is underclass. No restaurants nearby.
SPG kids Pass: It is a good program but at this property it is a disaster. It is a source of frustration and humiliation. It supposed to make life easy for parents, but it makes it more difficult. You never know what it is included and most of the food for kids is completely boring. Staff is not completely informed about it.
Besides these negatives we had a great time.
I need to mention Ms. Castro who made our life easier. She is a true asset to this property that lacks the level of service it brags.
However, we will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Greetings from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our resort.

We are quite passionate about pampering our guests, and what you describe in detail, from the beauty of our resort to our luxurious rooms and sumptuous cuisine, is all part of the St. Regis customized experience. As you can see, our staff is quite sincere in displaying our distinctive hospitality!

We have taken careful note of your suggestions, and already shared them with our staff, in our continuous effort to deliver only the finest services for your pleasure.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía Beach, in the near future.

Thank you for the gift of feedback.

Terry G. Bechtold

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!