“Overall great experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

You added The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort to your Saves list
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   State Road 187 kilometer 4.2, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Washington, DC
“Overall great experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for three nights/four days. Great hotel. Very attentive staff. Great pool. Great beach (although you should know the ocean is not the "blue" water you may want on vacation... there are some nice waves which make the water appear brown. Not a big deal, it was fun playing in the waves.

The only issue we had was that a small lizard somehow made its way into our shower area... we tried to get the little guy out but he was too fast and was jumping around. It took the staff 45 minutes and four phone calls to get him out.

I did think the $60 resort fee was a bit much and some of the drinks near the pool were $19 (a bit excessive). I know its the St. Regis and definitely a great resort, but lets be reasonable here... The food near the pool was good and the service was great.

The grounds are very well kept. Overall, I would come back again. Don't cab it from the airport, rent a car and park it at the hotel for the $22 they charge - that way you can move around the island.

Restaurants at the resort were very good, but Fern was a bit overpriced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort.

We are pleased that you indulged in our well-orchestrated guest experience, and discovered that almost every aspect of our little paradise met your fulfillment.

We look forward to welcoming both of you back to your home away from home, in the near future.

Terry G. Bechtold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Truly one of the prettiest resorts I have ever visited. 500 acres of lush beauty and the rooms were outstanding. Oversized, modern and comfortable. Five stars would be an understatement for this establishment. I highly recommend this property if you are visiting Puerto Rico. All around outstanding.

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

We are pleased that you indulged in our well-orchestrated guest experience, and discovered that every aspect of our little paradise met your fulfillment.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the not too distant future.

Mountain Lakes, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My daughter and I just returned from 5 nights at the St.Regis. It is a beautiful property in every way, from the lobby in the "Plantation House" to our (upgraded!) oceanfront suite. The 2 and 3 story buildings are ivory with dark brown wood balconies that blend beautifully into the lush foliage. The grounds, the nature trail and the pool are all gorgeous with that exotic, tropical escape look and tree frog song at night that I personally love. Our suite was very big, bathroom with rain shower was huge. We loved the spa-it's indoors and outdoors- and were given glasses of champagne, a really nice touch. The staff, including Lisa, the assistant to the General Manager, were available, friendly and genuinely tried to please. We didn't like the restaurant Molasses, although pretty inside, the food was very disappointing. However the much closer Fern more than compensated, being excellent with great breakfasts (espressos, fresh squeezed juice) and dinners on the balcony overlooking the lawn to the ocean. We had complimentary self serve coffees in the morning at the Regis bar. We'd love to return and hope to do so next year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our spectacular resort.

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your cherished time with your daughter at our captivating tropical paradise. Your experience is one of the many reasons why we are proud to be the first Certified Gold Audubon Signature Sanctuary in the Caribbean.

Your suggestions regarding our restaurant Molasses have been shared with our team, in a continuous effort to further enhance our unique guest experience.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you and your daughter once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, your home-away-from-home in the Caribbean.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This has been one of our best trips! The resort itself is massive and beautiful. makes u really feel like your far away from home rather than the strip of hotels and chain restaurants in San Juan. The service here is impeccable. I asked Jeffrey at the bar for a coconut drink that was on the menu, he said he was out but will be right back. Minutes later I see him cutting down a coconut from a nearby tree! John at sea grapes went above and beyond to make our late lunch enjoyable after long flights. Maria was a great help at enterprise with renting a car to head to el yunque (a must and about 15min away). Food in all restaurants is excellent. My only complaints is the unpredictable weather, which Vanessa was super helpful in switching out our soaked towels. Definitely one of my new favorite hotels!

• Stayed May 2013
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our captivating resort.

We are thrilled that you indulged in our completely enrapturing guest experience and long to return.

We look forward welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía Beach, in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Let me walk you through my experience from beginning to end.

Arrived via taxi ($70 from airport or $160 for private car). Check in was a breeze and service was excellent upon arrival. The grounds and the hotel are beautiful. I was shown to my room and things started going downhill from there. There were a few issues with my room: there was a worm on the floor in the bathroom, forgot to stock body wash so had to use hand soap during first shower, one towel had a decent sized hole in it, the room reeked of mildew, two lamps had bulbs that were burned out, everything felt dirty and used, found pieces of something on the bathroom floor, robes were a thin piece of cotton, there was dog poo outside my patio door (was on the first floor). The worst thing had to be that all of the bedding smelled like mildew. I usually sleep on my stomach but i could not because all of the pillows smelled so disgusting. The room, from a macro perspective, was gorgeous and spacious, but if you looked closely, it was really disgusting and not what I was expecting. Also the thermostat automatically adjusted itself to 70 degree at night even though I set it lower when going to bed. I woke up sweating every night. The ceiling fan rattled.

My experience at the pool was OK. My only complaint was that my waitress was no where to be found the entire day so I had to go to the actual bar to settle my tab where I waited a good 5 mins for them to find my waitress (I don't know why another person could not just get my check). The food at Seagrapes was OK, not spectacular, considering the prices. Service was slow as others have mentioned. Fern was just OK as well. I ordered room service quite a bit and service was excellent although the prices were outrageous. I did not venture to Molassas as it's quite far away (not walkable - need a shuttle). The beach is pretty much nonexistent. Do not stay here if you like spending time on the beach. The water was very rough and the water was dark green. There was not a lot of space between the water and where you walk down from the resort. The beach area was an afterthought I think. Only one or two people had chairs set up while I was there (everyone was at the pool).

I did not like that Seagrapes only had a buffet option for breakfast. I did not want to eat formally at Fern every morning nor do I want breakfast in my room. Would have loved if I could just get an egg and coffee by the pool in the morning and not spend $40+pp for a buffet or room service. Overall, i thought the food (and esp drinks) were very overpriced for the quality (I live in NYC and eat out all the time but even though the bar is high, this is a 5 star hotel w a JG restaurant). Also, I would teach your employees how to properly pronounce Jean-Georges (not like a pair of jeans haha). Did not like how the dining options were so limited (although I knew this coming in).

I enjoyed renting a bike and kayak (included in resort fee) and exploring the nature trails. The grounds were beautiful and spread out. Tennis courts were VERY far away. I used the gym a few times and the equipment was top of the line. I asked to see the spa facilities but was denied access. I wanted to see if it was worth getting the day pass for use of the facilities on my last day after I checked out (I believe it was $35 to use the sauna/steam room/showers if you didn't get a treatment). I was kind of annoyed at that.

Upon checkout I called for a taxi for 3:45. I got to the front of the hotel where they load/unload passengers at 3:45 and waited and waited. There seemed to be a million people running around but no one was helping me. I literally just screamed "is anyone going to help me!?". This got their attention. This was a total failure in service. If you see someone waiting for 5 mins, don't avoid eye contact and stand around talking. If you are the valet, just tell me someone will be along shortly to assist me. I saw a taxi probably 30 yards away waiting. I was asked my name by the valet to check if that was my taxi. I never saw the valet again. I flagged a second person, told him my name and that I was waiting for a taxi. He comes back in 2 mins saying that's not my taxi. At this point its 4pm and I'm very annoyed. I flag a third person, give him my name, and thankfully he manages to figure out that IS MY TAXI. These people are totally incompetent. Had a similar issue when I was trying to retrieve my bag from storage. Tons of people running around but no one to help.

Overall, the resort is beautiful but I will not be returning nor recommending. The room quality plus lack luster service plus price gouging for food that is not excellent are the reasons. This is my 5th or 6th time to PR and the first time at this hotel. I will tell you, I've had much better experiences elsewhere for the same or less money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit to our resort.

Although we are pleased that you and your family enjoyed most of your stay, we are most concerned with the service issues you point out, and have appropriately addressed these areas.

Rest assured this is certainly not the norm at our distinctive resort, and we do regret that you left with a less than uncompromising impression.

We hope that you will reconsider and return to our beautiful home, so that we may have the opportunity to make amends, and treat you to the fine St. Regis experience you deserve.

Thank you for the gift of feedback, and the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Wow! What an amazing way to start a honeymoon! My new husband and I stayed here for the first few days of our honeymoon in May 2013 and we did not want to leave. Our butler, Juan Lopez, was so accommodating and made us feel special and like we were his only client.

When we arrived at the hotel, we discovered that we had lost our credit card and ID. The staff handled this issue with grace and worked out the problem quickly and easily. Then, Paulina (I believe a manager) treated my husband and I to lunch while we waited for our room. Each and every person at the resort was welcoming, cheerful, and helpful. Edwin was wonderful and Karlos at the bar was very nice.

The rooms/suites were MAGNIFICENT and so nice that it made it hard to leave the room! The bed was so comfortable and our private patio was a nice way to wind down after a hard day at the pool :)

We went to both restaurants and the pool cafe and all were wonderful. The staff arranged a champagne sabering at our dinner in honor of our honeymoon! It was very special. Additionally, I had a massage at the spa and a blow out at the salon...it was the BEST massage I've ever had and I wanted to stay all day!

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach -

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are humbled that you chose our home to begin your life’s journey together.

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'm sitting at the pool concluding a wonderful trip in Puerto Rico at St Regis Bahia Beach.

GOOD:
--Rooms are VERY spacious. Wonderful amenities and finishes. (A bit damp smelling but typical for tropical climate)
--service was on point! Great and attentive
--food was solid. Nothing marvelous. But very good. Molasses has the most variety, but farthest away. Lunch by pool is limited in options. Quesadillas and salads are all good.

NOT SO GOOD:
--beach isn't that great. Dark sand and dark water. Small beach. No cushioned beach chairs (per peeve for me at high end hotels). Beach service a little slower than pool service
--food and beverage prices are RIDICULOUS! I mean a piña colada for $20 (8 oz plastic pool cup)!!!!!!! Breakfast buffet is mediocre yet $32/person. Really poor value versus what you get overall. Like really!!!
--major mosquito issues in garden level rooms. Think they need a better mosquito service.
--hotel was 100% capacity while I was there (pretty common here). Pool area super crowded. Didn't have to get up and secure chairs...but don't expect a typical calm, relaxing pool scene you're used to at other st regis locations. Also, pool towels are pretty shabby. I expected larger and less frayed/stained towels.
--even as SPG Gold, didn't get upgraded. Likely due to capacity and day I arrived. Not a biggie, but just noting this.

RECOS:
--have your cab or car service stop by Walgreens or Ralph's and pick up breakfast snacks and alcohol BEFORE you get to the property. It is worth it. Will save you HUNDREDS of dollars (per day)! Might grab some Off! while you're at it.
--if you want to spend time outside on your patio, don't get a ground floor room. LOT'S of nature, including stray cats. Makes laying outside a bit uncomfortable down on ground level.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation!
Although we strive to deliver an unforgettable vacation experience, it is unfortunate that you were not able to fully enjoy the beach. The two rivers which enhance our spectacular tropical surroundings only affect the beach water occasionally, when the weather and tide are extremely very adverse. To this end, we employ a strict sand sweeping program.

Furthermore, we are concerned about your thoughts regarding our prices, and and have taken the liberty of sharing your comments in an effort to improve this perception.

On a positive note, we are thrilled that you still were able to indulge in our world-renowned facilities, and found our staff to be sincerely dedicated to your absolute pleasure.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

Terry G. Bechtold

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!