“Great escape to paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort to your Saves list
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   State Road 187 kilometer 4.2, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
McKinney, Texas
“Great escape to paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Beautiful property, escape from the hustle of San Juan. Beach is not great as the ocean is rough and the water sandy and brown in color. Rooms are amazing. The food choices are limited and no real nightlife

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the pool, otherwise you will walk a lot
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation! Although we strive to deliver an unforgettable vacation experience, it is unfortunate that you were not able to fully enjoy the beach. The two rivers which enhance our spectacular tropical surroundings only affect the beach water occasionally, when the weather and tide are extremely very adverse. To this end, we employ a strict sand sweeping program.

Furthermore, we are concerned about your thoughts regarding our prices, and have taken the liberty of sharing your comments in an effort to improve this perception.

On a positive note, we are thrilled that you still were able to indulge in our world-renowned facilities, and found our staff to be sincerely dedicated to your absolute pleasure.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

746 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was a gorgeous resort with wonderful beachfront view rooms. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind paying a little extra. Prices were extremely high but the resort was beautifully landscaped and had wonderful rooms and service. A great vacation destination.

• Stayed April 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the not too distant future.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This resort is only two years old, so it's still a bit of a "hidden treasure! While it sits on about
460 acres of property, it's almost hard to imagine that the Garden of Eden could have been more
beautiful or lush. It is a tranquil paradise! Miles and miles of pristine beach offer plenty of restorative rejevenation! The accommodations are amazing . . .such as an 8 ft. by 8 ft. shower!!!
There are three restaurants on site, awesome golf, pool, kayaking, water boarding, fishing, spa . . whatever your heart could desire. An off-site trip to the rainforest is enchanting! Only
a half hour from the San Juan airport!

Room Tip: Some rooms have a floor of stone steps to climb, so if this is a challenge for you or you have youn...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us!

St. George Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

You've got to be kidding me. A reviewer complained that the butler did not "unpack our suitcases." Please people. I am currently at the St. Regis and the people are absolutely wonderful. The resort is gorgeous. The beach is private and huge, though so far often windy. This resort was built for people who wanted to get away so it is secluded. There are not many food options. In fact outside of the onsite restaurants you will need to take a taxi into town for anything. That said, if you want a private getaway in a beautiful resort with huge rooms and beautiful balconies, this is a great place. With very few rooms compared to other resorts, this is a place for someone who wants to relax and read a good book, or five. The pools are lovely. The food is expensive, but at a resort of this quality you would expect that. If I wanted an active vacation, or nightlife, or a lot of people, I would not stay here.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort. Rest assured, we have shared them with our dedicated team, in a continuous effort to further enhance our sophisticated guest experience.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the near future.

Oakville Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. It is a great hotel if you need a little R&R but it can dig into your wallet.
The room was very nice with the main highlight being the HUGE bathroom and shower area. The rest of the room was a good size but no different than a Westin or Intercontinental. Our veiw was of the golf course but with all the vegatation you couldn`t see past the trees. I look at this as a positve since we didn`t want golfers looking into our room as they went by.
The food in the restaurants was good and worth the price.
The grounds were fantastic with a feeling of being in a tropical paradise.
The pool was the best I have ever seen. Every area gives off the feeling of privacy.
The beach was beautiful and the water was very warm. You can walk for a mile on your own.
We used the kayaks in the pond area but it was very limited to how far you can go. Still it was a nice diversion since there isn`t a lot to do when you are in the middle of nowhere. We lloked into golf but with rental clubs it would have cost $500 for us to play

Room Tip: get an ocean view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort. Rest assured that your valuable feedback has been appropriately addressed.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Amazingly beautiful site about 40 min from San Juan Airport - apparently not all cab drivers know where it is as ours took us on a 90 minute tour of the area only to have to circle around and find the place after returning to the airport and calling someone for directions.

The staff is very attentive and informative (almost too much so) but generally made it a pleasant, easy experience.

The room was stunning with all super-modern amenities including a TV within the mirror in the bathroom. Complementary bottled water in the rooms was a nice touch. Given the level of extra attentiveness, I was surprised to have to call house-keeping to make up our room after we had been gone all day at the pool and had hit the "make up room" button on the super-modern electronic wall panel. I was also surprised to have to call room service to pick up the dinner plates and other stuff that sat around on the balcony all morning and was being picked over by the local birds.

Everything is about 50% overpriced from the breakfast ($100+ for three) which was fairly ordinary but a beautiful view from the deck of the "plantation". Dinner at the golf club restaurant was good but not great and ran over $200 for three (with no bottles of wine) and the waiter padded the bill by charging us for 2, $8 liter bottles of water when we barely had 4 glasses. We were expecting pricey meals but $12 for two tablespoons of ice cream for my son and $18 6-oz drinks at the pool was over the top. Still, they didn't seem to "nickel and dime" you for everything like some hotels.

The concierge was terrific with all sorts of great suggestions and help on getting to Vieques Island which was the second leg of our trip. They also turned us on to Angie Adams Perez who was a great tour guide on Vieques.

If we had it to do all over again, we'd have skipped St. Regis and gone directly to Vieques which is truly amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I recently enjoyed our "babymoon" at the St. Regis Bahia Beach . There are a hundred or more different reasons to love the place, but I'm writing this to say that this property still is a long ways off from being a Category 7 (Starwood's highest class of hotel) St. Regis property. This is still one of the most beautiful hotels under the Starwood umbrella, and it is a lovely getaway for anyone on the east coast of the US, but it just isn't worthy of its lofty status service wise.

I say this because when I think of both the category 7 hotels in the Starwood family and the St. Regis brand in general I think of a level of service that thinks of everything a customer needs before they know they need it. More specifically I think of this resort in relation to the St. Regis in Princeville, Kauai where my wife and I stayed on our honeymoon 2 years ago. Both are category 7, beach resorts in the St. Regis chain. Yet the Bahia Beach can't get some "easy wins" at that level of detail correct.

1) I booked our trip with a request to use 5 of my SPG platinum upgrade certificates. These are supposed to be confirmed by the property no later than 5 days prior to a guests arrival (which is another problem with the amenity, but that is for another thread). While emailing with the concierge/butler service 3 days prior to our arrival I had to specifically ask if they were being honored, and sent several follow up inquiries. It was not till we arrived at the property that we were told that the certificates could not be honored. I confirmed with the SPG Platinum concierge that it is the duty of each hotel to communicate the status at 5 days out.

2) When as part of the arrival packet email, there is a form they ask each guest to fill out and place any number of reservations for meals, tours, or provide special info prior to arrival. I put a request in for extra pillows on the bed to help my wife get comfortable given the pregnancy. Sure enough, despite acknowledging our good fortune when they responded to say they received the form, there was no special consideration provided to aid in my wife's comfort upon arrival to our room. This is not the level of effort to expect from a St. Regis.

3) Porter service at the pool is far behind the Princeville resort. On Kauai, a guest needed only to walk to the lounge chairs they desired, and a porter would be there within 10-15 seconds, offering to bring towels and to send a waiter over for drink orders. Here at Bahia Beach, you have to walk over to the towel stand, and ask to have towels brought to your location. At times staff wouldn't even bring the towels to you - they were handed over with an expectation that the guest set themselves up. For a Sheraton or Westin or lower this is a fine practice. But at a St. Regis where the cheapest room is $500 a night, the expectation should be for more refined pampering. Which brings me to...

4) Food and Beverage Service at the pool was even worse. First of all, the service does not start until Seagrapes opens at 11am. Yet the pool really starts to get busy everyday at 9am. WHY are they waiting??? At worst, they could have an additional 2-3 hours of revenue by opening earlier, but again... At the St. Regis level of service I want the option to have a beer as early as I am ready to have one... Not when they tell me they are ready. Of course, that also requires that they offer prompt wait service - which they don't. On Several days over the course of our stay we had to flag waitstaff after they walked by us two to three times just to order water for my pregnant wife. At a St. Regis, the expectation should be they attend to each new guest as soon as they arrive (again, just like the Princeville location). Delivery of drinks and food once ordered took anywhere from 10 minutes (which is fine) to 45 minutes (which is not)

5) The lobby staff (valets, bellmen, golf cart chauffeurs, etc.) were woefully understaffed. Most of the time, one or two employees were taking care of all of these duties while 7-10 guests waited for their turn to state their need. Meanwhile back at the St. Regis Princeville, I honestly can't think of a time that each guest didn't have two to three lobby attendants trying to help out. It was so bad at the Bahia Beach, one time my wife and I were looking to pick up our car, a shuttle driver (read: not a St. Regis employee) went to find a valet to help us after several minutes of not finding anyone ourselves.

6) On our first night, my wife and I needed to move our reservations at Fern from 6:30 to 8pm. When we called the concierge desk from our room, he told us he would call back to confirm the change. 3 hours later we had no follow up call and no message waiting for us. We had to call back to confirm that the reservation had been changed.

7) I get mad when I'm paying $5 a beer at any old sports bar and they don't have HD channels for all of the sporting events. This turns to outright rage when the $500 a night (plus a $60 resort fee) Bahia Beach has CBS NYC as part of its standard TV offering, but they can't pony up for the Masters Championship in HD (this is a golf resort folks!)

There were numerous other little incidents when my wife and I both noted that this was not the exceptional attention to pampering that my wife and I expect from such a refined brand as the St. Regis, but this is already a vey long post. In general I would say that the impressions of most other posters to this forum are close to what we experienced.

That said I don't want to leave this post on a down note. Extra training and attention to detail are all that is needed. The rooms (even the standard room seems gargantuan) the views, the grounds are all stunningly beautiful. And as much as that service was not at what I consider St. Regis standards, there was never any time we were truly outraged, or any real problem incidents. If they can up their efforts to the same service we received from Princeville, then this resort will truly be the jewel of the Carribean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

We are pleased that you indulged in our well-orchestrated guest experience, and discovered that almost every aspect of our little paradise met your fulfillment. We do apologize for your disappointment regarding food at one of our restaurants.

When you arrive to the most bespoke address in the area, it is understandable that you would want to be seduced by the beauty of your surroundings. Rest assured, your generous feedback is crucial for us to improve in these areas, and has been addressed with the appropriate departments, in order to avoid this from reoccurring.

Terry G. Bechtold

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!