“Beautiful, tranquil, secluded.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort to your Saves list
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   State Road 187 kilometer 4.2, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
St. George Utah
“Beautiful, tranquil, secluded.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

You've got to be kidding me. A reviewer complained that the butler did not "unpack our suitcases." Please people. I am currently at the St. Regis and the people are absolutely wonderful. The resort is gorgeous. The beach is private and huge, though so far often windy. This resort was built for people who wanted to get away so it is secluded. There are not many food options. In fact outside of the onsite restaurants you will need to take a taxi into town for anything. That said, if you want a private getaway in a beautiful resort with huge rooms and beautiful balconies, this is a great place. With very few rooms compared to other resorts, this is a place for someone who wants to relax and read a good book, or five. The pools are lovely. The food is expensive, but at a resort of this quality you would expect that. If I wanted an active vacation, or nightlife, or a lot of people, I would not stay here.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort. Rest assured, we have shared them with our dedicated team, in a continuous effort to further enhance our sophisticated guest experience.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the near future.

727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Oakville Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. It is a great hotel if you need a little R&R but it can dig into your wallet.
The room was very nice with the main highlight being the HUGE bathroom and shower area. The rest of the room was a good size but no different than a Westin or Intercontinental. Our veiw was of the golf course but with all the vegatation you couldn`t see past the trees. I look at this as a positve since we didn`t want golfers looking into our room as they went by.
The food in the restaurants was good and worth the price.
The grounds were fantastic with a feeling of being in a tropical paradise.
The pool was the best I have ever seen. Every area gives off the feeling of privacy.
The beach was beautiful and the water was very warm. You can walk for a mile on your own.
We used the kayaks in the pond area but it was very limited to how far you can go. Still it was a nice diversion since there isn`t a lot to do when you are in the middle of nowhere. We lloked into golf but with rental clubs it would have cost $500 for us to play

Room Tip: get an ocean view

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort. Rest assured that your valuable feedback has been appropriately addressed.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the not too distant future.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Amazingly beautiful site about 40 min from San Juan Airport - apparently not all cab drivers know where it is as ours took us on a 90 minute tour of the area only to have to circle around and find the place after returning to the airport and calling someone for directions.

The staff is very attentive and informative (almost too much so) but generally made it a pleasant, easy experience.

The room was stunning with all super-modern amenities including a TV within the mirror in the bathroom. Complementary bottled water in the rooms was a nice touch. Given the level of extra attentiveness, I was surprised to have to call house-keeping to make up our room after we had been gone all day at the pool and had hit the "make up room" button on the super-modern electronic wall panel. I was also surprised to have to call room service to pick up the dinner plates and other stuff that sat around on the balcony all morning and was being picked over by the local birds.

Everything is about 50% overpriced from the breakfast ($100+ for three) which was fairly ordinary but a beautiful view from the deck of the "plantation". Dinner at the golf club restaurant was good but not great and ran over $200 for three (with no bottles of wine) and the waiter padded the bill by charging us for 2, $8 liter bottles of water when we barely had 4 glasses. We were expecting pricey meals but $12 for two tablespoons of ice cream for my son and $18 6-oz drinks at the pool was over the top. Still, they didn't seem to "nickel and dime" you for everything like some hotels.

The concierge was terrific with all sorts of great suggestions and help on getting to Vieques Island which was the second leg of our trip. They also turned us on to Angie Adams Perez who was a great tour guide on Vieques.

If we had it to do all over again, we'd have skipped St. Regis and gone directly to Vieques which is truly amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I recently enjoyed our "babymoon" at the St. Regis Bahia Beach . There are a hundred or more different reasons to love the place, but I'm writing this to say that this property still is a long ways off from being a Category 7 (Starwood's highest class of hotel) St. Regis property. This is still one of the most beautiful hotels under the Starwood umbrella, and it is a lovely getaway for anyone on the east coast of the US, but it just isn't worthy of its lofty status service wise.

I say this because when I think of both the category 7 hotels in the Starwood family and the St. Regis brand in general I think of a level of service that thinks of everything a customer needs before they know they need it. More specifically I think of this resort in relation to the St. Regis in Princeville, Kauai where my wife and I stayed on our honeymoon 2 years ago. Both are category 7, beach resorts in the St. Regis chain. Yet the Bahia Beach can't get some "easy wins" at that level of detail correct.

1) I booked our trip with a request to use 5 of my SPG platinum upgrade certificates. These are supposed to be confirmed by the property no later than 5 days prior to a guests arrival (which is another problem with the amenity, but that is for another thread). While emailing with the concierge/butler service 3 days prior to our arrival I had to specifically ask if they were being honored, and sent several follow up inquiries. It was not till we arrived at the property that we were told that the certificates could not be honored. I confirmed with the SPG Platinum concierge that it is the duty of each hotel to communicate the status at 5 days out.

2) When as part of the arrival packet email, there is a form they ask each guest to fill out and place any number of reservations for meals, tours, or provide special info prior to arrival. I put a request in for extra pillows on the bed to help my wife get comfortable given the pregnancy. Sure enough, despite acknowledging our good fortune when they responded to say they received the form, there was no special consideration provided to aid in my wife's comfort upon arrival to our room. This is not the level of effort to expect from a St. Regis.

3) Porter service at the pool is far behind the Princeville resort. On Kauai, a guest needed only to walk to the lounge chairs they desired, and a porter would be there within 10-15 seconds, offering to bring towels and to send a waiter over for drink orders. Here at Bahia Beach, you have to walk over to the towel stand, and ask to have towels brought to your location. At times staff wouldn't even bring the towels to you - they were handed over with an expectation that the guest set themselves up. For a Sheraton or Westin or lower this is a fine practice. But at a St. Regis where the cheapest room is $500 a night, the expectation should be for more refined pampering. Which brings me to...

4) Food and Beverage Service at the pool was even worse. First of all, the service does not start until Seagrapes opens at 11am. Yet the pool really starts to get busy everyday at 9am. WHY are they waiting??? At worst, they could have an additional 2-3 hours of revenue by opening earlier, but again... At the St. Regis level of service I want the option to have a beer as early as I am ready to have one... Not when they tell me they are ready. Of course, that also requires that they offer prompt wait service - which they don't. On Several days over the course of our stay we had to flag waitstaff after they walked by us two to three times just to order water for my pregnant wife. At a St. Regis, the expectation should be they attend to each new guest as soon as they arrive (again, just like the Princeville location). Delivery of drinks and food once ordered took anywhere from 10 minutes (which is fine) to 45 minutes (which is not)

5) The lobby staff (valets, bellmen, golf cart chauffeurs, etc.) were woefully understaffed. Most of the time, one or two employees were taking care of all of these duties while 7-10 guests waited for their turn to state their need. Meanwhile back at the St. Regis Princeville, I honestly can't think of a time that each guest didn't have two to three lobby attendants trying to help out. It was so bad at the Bahia Beach, one time my wife and I were looking to pick up our car, a shuttle driver (read: not a St. Regis employee) went to find a valet to help us after several minutes of not finding anyone ourselves.

6) On our first night, my wife and I needed to move our reservations at Fern from 6:30 to 8pm. When we called the concierge desk from our room, he told us he would call back to confirm the change. 3 hours later we had no follow up call and no message waiting for us. We had to call back to confirm that the reservation had been changed.

7) I get mad when I'm paying $5 a beer at any old sports bar and they don't have HD channels for all of the sporting events. This turns to outright rage when the $500 a night (plus a $60 resort fee) Bahia Beach has CBS NYC as part of its standard TV offering, but they can't pony up for the Masters Championship in HD (this is a golf resort folks!)

There were numerous other little incidents when my wife and I both noted that this was not the exceptional attention to pampering that my wife and I expect from such a refined brand as the St. Regis, but this is already a vey long post. In general I would say that the impressions of most other posters to this forum are close to what we experienced.

That said I don't want to leave this post on a down note. Extra training and attention to detail are all that is needed. The rooms (even the standard room seems gargantuan) the views, the grounds are all stunningly beautiful. And as much as that service was not at what I consider St. Regis standards, there was never any time we were truly outraged, or any real problem incidents. If they can up their efforts to the same service we received from Princeville, then this resort will truly be the jewel of the Carribean.

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

We are pleased that you indulged in our well-orchestrated guest experience, and discovered that almost every aspect of our little paradise met your fulfillment. We do apologize for your disappointment regarding food at one of our restaurants.

When you arrive to the most bespoke address in the area, it is understandable that you would want to be seduced by the beauty of your surroundings. Rest assured, your generous feedback is crucial for us to improve in these areas, and has been addressed with the appropriate departments, in order to avoid this from reoccurring.

Great Neck, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This has been the first trip we have taken in 4 months, for me that is an eternity.

I decided with my fiancee to take us away for my 33rd birthday. The management team at St Regis Bahia Beach was gracious enough to give us a wonderful 3 night stay in an Astor Suite in building 9. This was my first time to this St Regis property and it truly was heaven on earth.

Upon arrival in San Juan International Airport, the hotel driver (Francisco) was waiting right outside the entrance to the baggage claim. He was pleasant, but my one complaint with him is, he didn't ask to take any of our bags. Instead, he walked about 10 feet in front of us and showed us to the car. I do understand it was very late (Jetblue 701 arriving 142am from JFK), but the least he could have done was taken our bags (the transfer was $168 each way).

Upon arrival at the resort, we could not see anything as it was dark out. But the hotel staff was awaiting our arrival and whisked us right from the Plantation building, directly to our suite. The check in was flawless and the butler on duty (bod) was wonderful. He took his time to describe our room to us. I was a little disappointed, as I was looking forward to the St Regis Butler service unpacking our bags for us. I know it was late, but hey, it's ST. REGIS! We stayed in an Astor suite which is a ground floor garden view suite. The suite is approximately 1255 sq ft with two full bathrooms, living room with 55" lcd samsung tv and bose 321 surround system, large bedroom with I think a 40" lcd tv, lots of closet and drawer space. My fiancee and I both said that the suite was larger than our apartment.

When we woke up, we had walked over to the Plantation house for breakfast in Fern. Of course being New Yorkers, we wanted to sit outside on the deck and savor that warm ocean breeze. They sat us right away, but they sat us at a table where the person who sat there prior to us had spilled milk. Instead of cleaning up the milk, they just moved the table over the spill. When my fiancee sat down, she asked that I move the table a bit so she had more space between her and the woman sitting behind her. This being said, her feet were sitting in a pool of milk. We had told our server, and she acknowledged the fact there was milk there, but didn't do anything about the spill. I had the fern breakfast, the eggs were a bit undercooked but overall the food was good. The buffet looked very nice.

After breakfast, we made our way over to the pool. The lady at the towel stand assigned us Alberto, who brought us over to the upper most of the three pools. Placed us right next to a nice big shady tree, right along the edge of the pool. He didn't tell us, we'd be in for an awesome show between iguanas. That was PEDRO'S tree and he is very territorial. The pool area is very relaxing, the service around the pool is pretty decent. The staff was very pleasant. For the price point of this hotel, bragging about using Bacardi Gold rum isn't exactly a good thing (I have a gallon of it at home). We ended up taking a nice long nap by the pool, as neither of us have been sleeping well lately. The chairs at the pool are nice and soft, with large over sized beach towels, and have excellent umbrellas.

Friday night, we went to Molasses restaurant at the golf club. As soon as we walked in, we were seated. Our server, Orlando, greeted us and was very personable and friendly plus he had a great sense of humor. We had a nice conversation with Orlando, all while he was making his recommendations. Upon his recommendation I had the taco soup which was delicious and the Mofongo with pulled beef. My fiancee had the pasta with chicken. My food was delicious and had some nice spice to it. Her's I found to be very bland, but she found it to be too flavorful. Towards the end of the dinner, it started to rain a little and we asked to be moved inside. Upon us moving inside, I ran to the bathroom. When I came out, my wonderful fiancee had arranged for my dessert to become my birthday cake (sorbet). Low and behold, that was a great night with great service and great food.

Saturday morning, we went to Fern for breakfast, service was a little bit better today. We sat outside again for breakfast, as you still cannot do that here in NY. Afterwards, we went back to the pool and were able to grab the same seats as we had yesterday. Today, we didn't have the show we had the day before, Pedro was more lax. The one biggest complaint of this day, I asked the server for a Rum Punch with Nutmeg on top (had it somewhere else in the caribbean and loved it). She had no idea what nutmeg was and when I told her it is a spice, well they put half a bottle of TABASCO sauce into the drink. Because Tabasco is a spice. One of the things I do love about this pool area, people are very friendly and we spoke to the other people at the pool for hours.

Saturday night we went to Fern, as it is a Jean-Georges restaurant. The service level here SUCKED. The food was delicious, but if you've ever heard of Caribbean time, you'd know what I am talking about. My complaint here is only about the service, and everyone else at the property that we spoke to about the Fern restaurant had the same complaint. My example, when we asked for our tea at the end of the night, we asked for our bill. The tea took 30 minutes to come out, the bill took another 15 minutes to be printed.

Sunday morning, D-day was upon us but thankfully it wasn't H-hour till 345pm. We opted for in room dining. We were told the food would take up to 30 minutes to be delivered, NOPE, 20 minutes and we had a knock at the door. Breakfast was delicious and the fact that we ate in bed was worth it. My fiancee packed her bag, I did that the night before. Even though we had a 1pm check out, we were out of the room by 1130am. The butlers had picked up our bags, and we spent the day over at the pool. Had a nice lunch over there as well. before leaving the hotel, we both decided to have treatments done at the spa and this way we can also shower off all of the sun tan lotion and chlorine from the day. Otherwise, they transport you to the club house which is all the way on the other side of the property to use the shower facilities. We both received the sunburn relief massage which was AWESOME, Jose was excellent,

At checkout, I settled my bill and my driver was already awaiting us in our lincoln navigator. The checkout was nice and smooth, as it should be. The driver on the way back to the airport was great, very knowledgeable and nice to speak with.

I do recommend this hotel, but and unfortunately there is a but here, stay away from the Fern restaurant for dinner. The food is well worth it, but the service level there needs to be raised greatly. If I were to go back, and trust me, I would LOVE to go back, Molasses every night.

I do have a small complaint about the room, I'm a technology geek and fully admit to being one. I set the thermostat to 66 degrees all three nights, but halfway through the night, I would wake up sweating, The thermostat moved itself up to 70 degrees.

The quality of this hotel, perfectly reflects the price point. There are some little tweaks that need to be made to perfect this hotel. But that's all it is. All of the people that give this hotel a 1 star or 2 stars, are over critical or have mental issues. I've been to literally thousands of hotels in hundreds of cities in the last 6 yeas. This is up there in the top 100 of those.

Room Tip: Don't be cheap. Also, don't worry about getting an ocean front room. Even the ocean front ro...
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our captivating resort.

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation!

Rest assured, your valuable feedback has been shared with our team.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We are currently in the middle of our stay at the St Regis and although the resort, grounds and rooms are gorgeous (definitely 5 star), everything else falls short. With few exceptions (front desk supervisor Joel and Fern waitress Gabriella are excellent), the service is not good. It reminds me of a low-end Marriott or Sheraton hotel...definitely not a 5 Star hotel like St Regis. For example, the pool attendants are rude, and just don't seem happy to be there and the group of staff at the front entrance outside are oblivious to any sort of common service etiquette. Not even a "hello" when you're walking by them. Nothing. Most of them look like they are 20 years old with no previous service experience.

The food is the biggest problem in my opinion about this hotel. It's just not good. Molasses restaurant is horrible and Seagrapes restaurant is just average. Room service was hit or miss (but never great). And for the prices ($19 appetizers, $20 drinks) the food should be amazing. I can't understand how they have been open for almost 3 years and the food is of this caliber.

For positives, as I said before, the grounds of the resort are amazing. The pool is gorgeous, rooms are huge and beautiful, and the beach is nice as well (water is not clear because nearby rivers empty into the ocean, however).

For the extremely high prices this hotel is charging, they need to seriously revamp their service and food quality before guests start going to better hotels like the Ritz Dorado Beach (which we wish we chose). I've been to many high end hotels around the world and this is the poorest 5 star hotel in terms of service and food.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the St. Regis Bahia Bay following our wedding at the W Vieques and from the start we were disappointed with our experience.

To begin, our room was not ready until 3:30 despite an 11 am arrival and having been told that our room would be ready no later than 3pm. Then, while waiting for our room by the pool (where we had a $17 pina colada that prompted my wife to ask where the other half was), we fell asleep and an attendant came up and repeatedly said "excuse me" at increasing volume, until she woke my wife to ask if she could clear the frozen grapes that were previously distributed. It seems to me that this question could have waited and didn't necessitate disturbing us. While that is a small infraction, it speaks to the general lack of service that we received as guests.

Upon checking in to our room, we quickly realized that the St. Regis suite (which goes for $1600/night though we were admittedly getting a discount) is not actually oceanfront but, rather, oceanview because the water is at such a distance. In fact, if sitting on the deck, the couch is actually facing other rooms and greenery rather than the ocean. The pool, which was overrun by drunk conference goers could not have been any less relaxing and again failed to deliver on ocean views.

When I called the front desk within 15 minutes of our room arrival to ask to be let out of our reservation, I was told that we would be required to pay the first night whether we stayed or not. I realize that there is a cancellation policy but we come from a long line of friends and family in the hospitality industry and are well aware that hotels can allow cancellations at their discretion. Further, hotels that purport to be at the top level put their guests happiness first and would never force an unhappy guest to stay the night to secure $900 in revenue.

Unfortunately, the front desk manager called the revenue manager who was offsite and this was the best the hotel was willing to offer. When I asked to speak to the revenue manager, I was put on hold for 15 minutes and eventually told that speaking to him was not an option. Faced with the requirement to stay one night, we made dinner reservations only to be found at the pool 45 minutes later to be told that they could not accommodate our reservation at the agreed upon time and that we would have to go 30 minutes later. While at dinner, the service was lovely - they even sabered a bottle of champagne in honor of our marriage though they gave us a quarter of a glass each which again seemed a bit on the cheap side - but the food was mediocre at best.

We checked out first thing the next morning and went to the Ritz Dorado where the service was precisely what we expected for a hotel at this price point and the room was better appointed (with a plunge pool, an assigned butler who went above and beyond including bringing us gifts at the end of our stay and confirming throughout our visit that there wasn't anything she could do for us) and in fact cheaper than the rooms at the St. Regis (before our discount - and only slightly more expensive after). And the hotel itself was far more breathtaking with sweeping ocean views, two ocean front pools, incredible golf courses, a 5 acre spa and countless other amenities.

Needless to say, we were not pleased with our stay and our experience was made that much more obvious after our stay at the Ritz. I would urge anyone looking for a relaxing, high-end stay in Puerto Rico to stay at the Ritz Dorado Beach and for those looking for a cheaper hotel with an acceptable pool and access to a beach, I would highly recommend the Conrad Condado which will offer all that the St. Regis offers (though potentially not a comparable spa but definitely a better restaurant) for half the cost - if not less!

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for the gift of feedback and the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Terry G. Bechtold

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!