Overall a very good hotel and one of the more "complete" St. Regis properties we have stayed in (staff, location, food and execution). The staff was excellent and appeared to genuinely care how we were doing. They were very good at remembering us and our tastes, and were very friendly (even indulging my terrible Spanish). The hotel is located about 40 minutes from Luis Munoz airport and is a very easy drive. It’s on the north side of PR and, as has been my experience elsewhere in PR, it is a windy. If you are looking for tranquility, you will only find it by the pool. The upside to a breeze, of course, is no mosquitos. It is very close to El Yunque (well worth it), Culabre and other interesting places. We also made a trip into Old San Juan, which was fine for a day trip.
We did not eat at Fern as we could not be bothered to get dressed up. We had several good meals at Seagrapes, Molasses and the Plantation House bar, though. We also had a great breakfast at La Familia off campus. Overall, the food was pretty good, but as with any St. Regis, expensive.
Our room was a “superior garden”, which is the bottom level, but very well appointed nonetheless. It was large, with a huge bathroom and we had a nice little porch to sit on. We also had our own entrance, which was nice. There are several buildings on the grounds and all seemed to have great views. I’m not sure I would pay up for the ocean view, as you really aren’t that close and there are a lot of palm trees between you and the ocean. We did have some minor issues with a broken door lock (they are battery operated), but the hotel was quick to fix the issue.
There is plenty to do onsite, including golf, nature trails, canoes/kayaks, a big pool and bicycles, all covered by the resort fee. I thought $22/day for parking is a bit ridiculous given the amount of space on the property, but if you are paying to stay at a St. Regis it is more of a principle issue than cash flow.
Last, the hotel does a nice job with good directions and recommendations for places to eat of campus.
If there is a complaint to lodge, it would be that I should have been comped for a couple of drinks, or a bottle of wine for the door lock issue. We had three sets of keys at that point and the cleaning staff couldn’t get in, which should have indicated a problem to the hotel. Instead, it did not, and we were left waiting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designated as Puerto Rico’s first and only AAA Five Diamond resort and the leader in luxury on the island and in the Caribbean, The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico has been designed with the entire family in mind, providing a variety of extraordinary services and activities that will keep all guests entertained from sunrise to sunset. Located on a former 483 acre coconut plantation, it is nestled between El Yunque National Forest and the sparkling Atlantic Ocean on the northeast coast of Puerto Rico. Certified Gold Audubon Signature Sanctuary, the lush Resort features a tennis center, a golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., as well as 4 miles of nature trails, 70 acres of lakes and a boat house for water sports. The intimate St. Regis Bahia Beach boasts 139 rooms including 35 suites, where The St. Regis’ iconic Butler service is available. Most of the guestrooms overlook amazing ocean and garden views setting a new standard in luxury accommodations, service levels and facilities for the Caribbean. An indulging Remède Spa and the exquisite dining options will delight all senses, including Fern Restaurant, featuring culinary creations by world famous Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Molasses Restaurant, St. Regis Bar and Seagrapes. In addition, abundant banquet space is available to accommodate a variety of outdoor or indoor events. Featuring amazing ocean or garden views, it is the perfect setting for small or big gatherings as well as weddings. The elegant tropical magnificence of The St. Regis Bahia Beach creates a world for its guests that they will never want to leave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Priceline, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Hotel Rio Grande
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort Puerto Rico/Rio Grande