“Relaxing Babymoon” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort

You added The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort to your Saves list
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   State Road 187 kilometer 4.2, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
5th Night Free
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Houston, Texas
“Relaxing Babymoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is really a wonderful resort, which we spent three glorious days and four nights at. At arrival to the truly stunning plantation house, we were offered waters and rum punch. The property is best described as lush and verdant rainforest, with buildings connected by wooden planked walkways with very gentle soft lighting at night. The coquis singing in the evening add to the wonderful exotic jungle feel. Rooms are stunning, we had a 2nd floor corner unit which was gorgeous, the bathroom was spectacular and the lighting very thoughtfully constructed. Room amenities are top notch and luxurious. Spa-quality products and lots of goodies like slippers and loofahs. We loved the furnishings and design of both our room and the plantation house and found ourselves taking notes/pics for future home ideas (my husband asked about a particular piece of furniture in the plantation house when we checked out and the resort was kind enough to send us an e-mail with details regarding the piece).

Breakfast at Fern was delicious (the reviews on the french toast are true, it's unlike anything I've ever had before), but expensive. Note that portions are large, so splitting is a good option. The pool is lovely, however a bit small for the crowd. We never had any issues getting pool chairs as others have stated, and the pool service was excellent. Always someone coming around to take food/drink orders, plus pool attendents to help with towels, moving umbrellas, etc. One day they brought around yummy little shooters of strawberry tea. Our first day, there were some periodic rain showers, and everyone took cover at the pool bar. The attendants were quick to bring around warm dry towels to keep us warm during the brief deluge. We took a nice walk on the beach, but didn't lounge there as it seemed pretty windy and as others have noted, is not the white sugar sand of other Caribbean islands. The beach is well-maintained however, and gorgeous for a walk and scoping out shells.

We ate at Molasses our first night and enjoyed the upscale Puerto Rican food - for our first exposure to mofongo, it was delicious! We spent another night dining at Fern, which was equally good. If you've been to Jean Georges in NYC, don't expect anything on par with that experience, but the food is well-prepared and tasty. We found the value of Molasses and Fern for dinner both to be excellent, given the food quality and service. The pool bar had good food as well, however on the expensive end. Portions again were generous, so we easily got away with splitting items on the menu (pizzas were great).

The spa facilities are lovely - truly an excellent spa with excellent products and pampering (I was sad to decline champagne prior to my massage). I had a prenatal massage that was fabulous - the therapist was extremely knowledgable about what to do and what not to do during pregnancy and kept me comfortable at all times.

We didn't use the golf course or any of the complementary amenities at the boathouse, but the course looked stunning and barely used - I plan on recommending to my golfing friends. Service was excellent in all regards, we loved cocktails on the patio of the plantation house (great drinks, fantastic house-made ginger ale, etc.), we watched the bartender saber off the champagne cork one night and when my husband had a glass of prosecco, they were kind enough to bring me a complimentary virgin cocktail to enjoy with him. Clearly the staff puts a lot of consideration into the little touches that make guests smile.

Here are my very minor critiques:

1. Because breakfast is expensive and there is only one option, it would be nice if the resort had offered a breakfast inclusion with the rate.

2. We found our patio to be somewhat un-usable with only one comfortable chair along with a table and two chairs best suited for meals. A plush lounger would make the patio for welcoming.

3. Food options are limited, and if you stay for an extended period of time, this can be frustrating. To avoid getting bored with the food, we dined "off-campus" for two dinners, two breakfasts, and a lunch. I would highly recommend renting a car so you can easily get to El Yunque and other local sites, plus get the flavor of local restaurants. There is a valet fee, but we found having a car absolutely worth it.

4. While turn-down service was fantastic, it would be nice to have a tiny chocolate morsel or similar ... who doesn't love treats at turn down?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our captivating resort.

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation!

Rest assured, your valuable feedback has been shared with our team.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

Terry G. Bechtold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

First of all I'd like to mention that we stayed here on Starwood points. If I had to pay $800/night for the room, my review would be different. We rented a car from Enterprise (they were great once again) and the drive is so much easier now that the highway has been extended. The resort was easy to find and the grounds and landscaping of St Regis are beautiful. Check in was easy, our room wasn't ready yet, but offered us another room ( waited for the original room). We changed into our suits in the lobby restroom and headed out to the pool. Within a few hours, we got the call that our room was ready. I requested a 2nd floor room and one that was private due to the fact my husband and I love to sit and relax on the balcony in the morning and evening.

The room was beautiful and the bathroom enormous, I mean enormous. This is probably the most beautiful hotel I've stayed in. The 1st night we ate at Molasses and the food was not so good except for my salad and both our desserts. The waitress couldn't have been nicer and took my entrée off the bill.

When it was time to go to sleep, I noticed my pillow smelled very musty, along with the decorative pillows. I called and new pillows were brought immediately. The bed was comfortable and we both slept great. Free coffee is offered in the plantation house from 6-10. I mentioned about the musty smelling balcony curtains, etc and noticed the smell improved after (must have sprayed them).

The weather was windy and cloudy the 1st couple of days and not many people at the beach, fine for us. But there was also no beach food or drink service, you needed to walk to Seagrapes by the pool. I do have to mention the mixed drinks average about 16 or 17 dollars and were not very good. I know prices are expensive here, but for $17, I expect a good drink. My husband and I ended up buying a cooler to bring drinks to the beach because it was easier. On the 3rd or 4th day, one of the waitresses yelled at us that we can't bring our own to the beach (this is a public beach) Someone came to apologize for her later, esp since my husband said he took beers from the mini bar cause beach service was so poor. (I noticed it improved over the days because people were complaining). Most people would hang around the pool, but that's not for us

Along with the beauty of the resort, the people working there were fantastic and always remembered your name. The valet service to get our car each morning was quick and the valet guys were so sweet. Everyone from the people working at check in to the waitstaff at the pool, the towel people, maintenance were exceptional. I will say the housekeeper 2 days in a row shut off our A/C and upon returning from the beach the room was hot and musty. Also toilet paper and Kleenex were not restocked and had to call because we basically ran out of toilet paper (had 1/4 of a roll left and this was after the room was serviced). A quick call and all was taken care of.

These little things were not such a big deal for us. But when we checked out the person told us we had a zero balance and asked if we needed a copy of the printout. She said it wasn't necessary since it was a zero balance, but I like to have one. I questioned about the resort fee charge/valet charge, but again was told we have a zero balance. I couldn't have been happier and though now this is a good service resort that takes car of their customers that have any issues, etc. Well on the drive home my husband asked about what the final bill would have been if not for the hotel not charging us. Turns out I was given someone else's bill, wrong name and room number. I was floored and called hotel immediately. They said I was still showing I hadn't checked out (they were king enough to let me have a 4pm checkout) But it was now almost 5 and we were still in the system.

I think what upset me the most about this is what if I didn't get a printout and my charge bill came and I saw charges for the st regis that were not mine. I wouldn't have even had a copy of the bill and everything would have to be corrected after the fact.

I did speak to mgmt. and had some charges taken off the bill for inconvenience and they gave me additional starpoints.

Would I return, yes on points or for a great rate. With the prices they charge along with a $60 daily resort fee By the way, the incorrect bill they gave me showed the person paid $275/night plus taxes and resort fee.. For that price I'd definitely come back.

Again the resort is beautiful and the people working there exceptional. This was an amazing relaxing vacation.

Oh by the way, Fern is great for breakfast and worth every penny (we ordered off the menu and not the buffet).

Room Tip: Rent a car so you can go to some fantastic restaurants off property.

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort. Rest assured that your valuable feedback has been appropriately addressed.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back, so that we may have the opportunity to reverse your last impression and treat you to a truly flawless St. Regis experience.

Thank you for the gift of feedback and the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hotel was gorgeous. The room we had (probably the cheapest at the resort), was spacious and had amazing amenities. The service was terrific. And while the resort fee was high ($60), there were a lot of free activities included - kayaking, paddle boarding, biking, etc. It also included free internet.

I would have liked a few more options for breakfast. The only restaurant that served breakfast was Fern - which was delicious. They should start serving breakfast at the poolside restaurant.

I took the trip with 2 girlfriends. It was a very relaxing experience and isn't the place to go if you are looking to "party." It is not close to San Juan and the taxi ride is not cheap, so it's a nice place to stay if you plan to keep to the resort mostly. The majority of the guests at the resort were couples.

I look forward to being able to return here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Distinguished Guest,

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation!

Rest assured, your valuable feedback has been shared with our team.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Beautiful and secluded resort. Second trip there and just as good as the first last year. Stayed there jan 31-feb 5. Great laid back vibe and fantastic service and attitude from the staff. Spa is also first rate. Rooms are big and very comfortable. We had a garden view room which is lovely and feels like you are in a jungle. Played at the terrific and beautiful golf course and lots of time at he very nice pool. Beach is beautiful as well. Dinners were good at golf restaurant as we're they at the restaurant at main resort. Boardwalks can be slippery when wet. All in all, a really great place to totally relax!

Room Tip: Usually say on oceanfront but here the garden view or resort view rooms are also great

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.

Your brief and perfect description is precisely what we intend for every guest – absolute serenity combined with luxury, and wonderful cuisine. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a week of exploring and adventure on our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

Mpls, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at the St. Regis Bahai Beach Resort in Puerto Rico... amazing! Charlie picked our group up at the airport; he was on time and our trip to the resort was quick - less than 30 minutes. I read all the TA reviews before we went, so I went prepared for a few problems, but we didn't have any of the service issues mentioned. In fact, we had one of the resorts best employees - Karlos (with a "k") from SeaGrapes; we looked forward to lunchtime and afternoon by the pool because he would be there to take care of us. Thanks, Karlos!
The pool attendants were on top of any issues, moved umbrellas, provided new towels and found shady spots for the sunshine challenged. There were always chairs available and we heard the hotel was 95% full. We never went early to "save" chairs and showed up at prime time and found 3-4 chairs together with no problem. There were several families there with small children and the pool area was large enough to keep everyone separate. The pool is terraced into smaller pools, one was zero-entry and one was less than 2 feet deep. The other pools are 4-5 feet deep; the pool is not heated, so in February the water is COLD.
The room was HUGE; it was clean and well stocked with anything you might need. Loved the slippers and the ipod charger/alarm clock. The mini bar has everything you need and they leave you some room to stock your own items, too. (Ralph's grocery store is on the way to the resort.)
The resort is very large and things were spread out; we stayed in building 7 and it was perfect distance from the Plantation House and the pool, but we took a cart to Molasses. The first night, we thought there might be a jungle soundtrack playing outside, but it's the frogs. (LOUD) The grounds were well maintained, even when it rained heavily one night. The beach at the resort is not the sugar-sand white beach, but it is beautiful and not crowded. The golf course was in great shape and the holes along the ocean were breathtaking. The Boat House is so cute and has so many things to do. The mosquitos were fierce; I'm still healing from all the bites. Bring spray!
We ate at all the locations - Fern, Molasses & SeaGrapes. SeaGrapes was my favorite, but it's open the shortest hours. Prices are high, but it's a luxury resort on an island, so it was expected.
The Bahai Beach Resort is a high end, relaxing vacation spot to unwind and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. I hope we can return again soon.

Room Tip: Hardly any rooms are "ocean view" - don't waste your money. Ask for Building 6, 7, or...

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed in Superior room (gold SPG member, no upgrade available) on ground view overlooking golf course and a pond for 2 nights. We rented a car as cheaper than taxi and able to come and go from resort. We ended up not leaving the resort as it was so relaxing and had everything we wanted. Resort was not clearly marked and difficult to find. Signage says Bahia Beach, no where does it say St. Regis. We had to call 3 times for directions and on none of the calls did they say follow signs to Bahia Beach, which were everywhere. Also directions on their website are wrong. When we mentioned that, reply was "We know, we keep telling them to fix it.". However, hotel comped our lunch which instantly melted away the stress of the drive. Overall, staff was helpful and clear they had been trained in proper manners which is refreshing these days. Poolside staff still needs some work, had to flag them down and dirty cups and dishes left for extended period of time. Beach service also a bit lacking. Pool was fabulous, perfect water temparure and many levels to float around in. Chairs a bit crowded but not cramped. Beach was cluttered with debris, padded beach chairs shown in the photo are not the actual chairs on beach. Water was mildly rough and wavy, I'm a good swimmer and enjoyed it but friend found it too rough.
Our room was fabulous, large, clean with outside seating area. Bathroom huge with large tub and rain shower. Heated tile floor was a great touch. Turn down with classical music put on was nice. Complete relaxation and slept a perfect sleep.
Ate in all the Restraunts. Fern was absolutely delicious. I had lobster and friend had tasting menu both delicious. Bartender made a perfect Margarita, no yucky mix. The pool bar should take a few lessons, considering they charge $16 a drink. Only time whole stay I got a bit of attitude when asked pool bartender for extra lime in drink and to use less syrupy mix.
Although food and drinks were expensive it was delicious and have to expect it as resort overall is expensive.
Only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because listed as tier 7 SPG hotel and it falls just short compared to other hotels in this category I have stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach -

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a 5 day stay at the St. Regis Bahia Beach. This is probably one of the nicest resorts we have visited in our many trips. The facility is beautiful and beautifully maintained. The staff is well trained and make you feel special at every opportunity. We had a one bedroom, ocean front suite on the second floor with butler service. We started each day with French pressed coffee and Greek yogurt with berries on the veranda. Doesn't get any better than that. Our room was perfect, two bathrooms, closets, dressers. Better than a lot of apartments in NYC our home town. We ate at all three restaurants, all different all very good. We went to Molasses first. Puerto Rican food. We had mofungo (sp?) I had chicken and my wife had shrimp. Awesome! Sea grapes was by the pool and beach and is more relaxed. We had fish tacos (spicy and memorable), tuna tartar, very good and turkey wrap with a sun dried tomato paste, very nice and relatively low cal. The best was Fern. My wife had the slow cooked salmon and I had grouper with black beans. I am not exacterating when I say it competees with La Bernadin for both quality and flavor. We also hired a car from First Class who took us into Old San Juan on Saturday night. Fun, Fun, Fun. Shopped, ate and then danced. If you haven't figued it out yet I highly recommend St. Regis Bahia beach for couples. Off the charts as they say!

Room Tip: We had one bedroom suite on Ocean. Worth it!

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit with us.

Your thorough enjoyment of our AAA Five Diamond award winning resort, from our lavishly designed guest rooms and sophisticated pool area, to our world-class dining, is precisely the experience we plan for all of our distinguished guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bahía Beach in the near future.

Terry G. Bechtold

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!