My wife and I just returned from a 5-day trip to the St. Regis. To say we had a marvelous vacation would be a massive and unfair understatement!!! From the minute we drove through the sweeping, regal front guard gate and through the well-manicured, magnificent sprawling property, we were in awe of the pure luxury that we experienced. Below is a top-level review of the details:
- Food- WOW! There are three restaurants on property. Fern (Jean-George), Molasses, and Seagrapes (which is the more casual of the bunch, with both a full restaurant and also pool-side service). All three were fantastic! Fern serves breakfast and dinner. The breakfasts were quite good, although we generally did lighter fare. The dinners were all incredible. We did not have one bad meal there. Molasses was great too! We had two dinners there, and both were spectacular. The food was exceptional. Seagrapes was good for lunch bites, but we did not find it exceptional overall.
- Room- Though I paid on SPG points, we used a bit extra to get an upgraded Deluxe Room. It was close to the heart of the resort, and though the view was nothing special (there are very few seaview rooms in the property, I am told), the room was fantastic. Both large and also luxurious, it had everything we needed. The bathroom was very well-appointed, with a full-room shower that included both overhead and massage showerheads that work independently. There was even a fully-functional TV in the mirror! Certainly, the room included a safe, and all other basic ammenities that you'd expect.
- Location- We designed this trip to be a true getaway. And the property lent itself perfectly to this! It is truly in the middle of nowhere (in a good way). Getting to any other destination involves an expensive taxi, or renting a car (more expensive). We did leave the resort one day for a trip to Old San Juan, but otherwise, we were willfully trapped at the St. Regis. Fine with us, but keep that in mind as you consider what you want from your vacation.
- Property- This resort has tons of stuff!!! In addition to the obvious amenities (pool, beach, expensive beach drinks, etc), the property includes (for no additional charge beyond the mandatory per-room resort fee) a nature center (for pond kayaking, paddle boarding, etc), bikes, walking trails, golf driving range, a full gym and a yoga room.
- Staff- Honestly the best part of the whole experience, the resort staff was incredible! From the welcoming guards at the front gate, to the cheery and accommodating front desk team, the knowledgable and genuinely eager concierge staff, to the omnipresent pool, valet, and guest services personel that are EVERYWHERE when you need them, the clearest part about your stay will be just how well-designed the training program is. I got to meet both the hotel manager and the property general manager during my trip, both were exceptionally interested in my input and concerned with my confort. A+++++ on this aspect!
Concerns: My wife and I had three suggestions during our trip. The first two admittedly minor concerns are:
a) the property is very dimly lit at night. I assume they are going for romantic, but it borders on creepy.
b) the wifi signal is not that strong in any part of the property. The daily resort fee of $65 (as of Dec 2012) includes resort-wide wifi access. But it was a poor signal, clearly regulated to be minimally useful. This could be improved upon. With that said, I was able to get email and check websites property-wide, as advertised, albeit a bit slowly loading.
The only real significant concern we had was regarding the seats at the pool. Our first two days were right before the droves arrived for Xmas break. It was quiet, and pool chairs were easy to come by. By our third day, it was increasingly difficult. On our final day, I came out to the pool before 8am, and there was not one chair to be had. Note that there were less than five people on the pool deck, but each chair had a towel on it, reserving it for some later time in the day. After complaining to the staff, I was quickly accommodated with a location that was fine, though not ideal. By noon, only half of the chairs had a person in them. It is a very hard thing for the hotel to regulate, but as a guest, I found it very frustrating that there were open chairs that I was not able to use, for no real reason. There should be a system built around this. However, upon speaking with management, there is something in the works.
Overall: This place was awesome! Pool issues aside, we had not one significant concern or complaint, and the few minor bumps were so clearly overcompensated with incredible food, fantastic service, and top tier resort accommodations! We can not WAIT to go back!!!! We suggest if you have the option and want a real getaway vacation, go to the St. Regis in Bahia Beach as soon as you possibly can!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Distinguished Guest,
Report response as inappropriate
Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience.
It give us tremendous pleasure that you and your wife enjoyed every aspect of our enchanted, Five Diamond resort.
As a seasoned spg traveler, you have a discerning eye, and your detailed observations are truly appreciated.
Your thorough enjoyment of our first-rate resort, lavishly designed guest rooms and pool area, to our world-class dining, is precisely the way we customize your tailor-made experience. I am delighted that we had a chance to meet, and that you felt most welcomed in our second home.
You will also be happy to know that we are implemeting a new system for the pool area, in order to facilitate the availability of seating during the busy holiday season.
We appreciate your kudos for our devoted staff, who take great pride in in serving our guests uncompromisingly.
Thank you for the gift of feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon, the beautiful island of Puerto Rico.
Terry G. Bechtold
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.