I have read some of the reviews on here and I'm a little shocked. I stayed here at the beginning of May with a friend and we had a wonderful time. The reviews about it being costly is correct. You can't eat any meal for less than $50 for 2 people and the drinks are a bit high but the service and employees were wonderful and we expected the pricing being at a nice resort. You could certainly take a short taxi or rent a car to get some wonderful local food for very cheap. We booked our trip through Cheapcarribean.com and had no issues with that. Our transfer from the airport was included and the driver was very friendly.
When we arrived at the hotel at 9am, we asked if we could possibly check in early. They had no problem with this and sent us to our room. However, when we got back from breakfast they were cleaning it - apparently it wasn't ready when we threw our things in there - so we went down to get another room. That room wasn't ready either so finally on the third try we did get a wonderful room on the 7th floor. They gave us free breakfast and a credit of $100. They were very friendly and we were fine with it since we were checking in 6 hours early. The rooms were nice, we had a lovely view of the rainforest and the beds were extremely comfy!
The resort is just gorgeous. We loved the pool areas and the bar outside. The adult pool was very relaxing and quiet with very comfortable lounge chairs and the other pool was fun if you wanted a change of scenery. They have a water slide, volleyball net in the water and fun things happening throughout the day. Watch out for all of the iguanas around the pool. We thought they were very sweet and even fed them one day, however, some people were so mean and would chase the poor things. They didn't bother you if you left them alone though. We loved Xavier's special cocktails at the bar outside! The spa was nice as well, although we have had better massages but it was nice to relax and be pampered. We also tried most of the restaurants and had wonderful meals every time.
We also took a couple tours through the hotel. We did the rainforest tour as well as the Bacardi tour and had a great time on both. The tour guides were both entertaining and very informative. Everyone we came across was very friendly and helpful. We also rented a car for the day from the hotel. I would definitely reccommend renting one ahead of time from the airport. We paid $90 for only one day! Old San Juan was beautiful, we definitely recommend going there for dinner or to shop. Definitely go to Riaces for authentic Puerto Rican food - it was amazing!
All in all our trip was fantastic! We will definitely be back.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa Puerto Rico/Rio Grande
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean National Forest, The Westin Rio Mar Beach Golf Resort & Spa in Puerto Rico presents the ultimate Caribbean resort experience! This luxurious resort is secluded on a 500-acre estate framed by lush green mountains and a mile of palm-lined beach. From the moment you arrive, you are reminded that The Westin Rio Mar Beach sets the world's standards for hospitality service. Richly appointed tropical luxury makes each guest room a welcome, private haven. Spectacular views of the sapphire blue Atlantic or the majestic El Yunque, the Caribbean National Forest, complement the island-styled décor in our 600 guest rooms and suites, all featuring Westin’s renowned Heavenly Beds® and Heavenly Baths®. Rich, natural woods, Italian tile, plush fabrics and preferred amenities surround each guest with privileged comfort. A beachfront paradise for recreation, the resort offers an array of pleasures from championship golf and extensive watersports to night-time excitement at the Rio Mar Casino. Amenities include two beachfront pools, two world-class golf courses, the exclusive Mandara Spa with fitness center, 11 Har-Tru tennis courts, water sports center, scuba diving, bicycling and a variety of specialty shops and boutiques. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Tingo, BookIt.com, Otel, Orbitz, getaroom.com, EasyToBook, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.