“stressed days instead of being relaxing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
Carolina, Puerto Rico
“stressed days instead of being relaxing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

when made my reservation internet never ever was told that the big pool was under construction not even when i made the check in i found out when I went to the pool 2 of the minors suffer a accident because their was no supervision on the inflated pools and the supv did not know that OMG and to put the cherry on the top lucky thing I do not suffer of heart atackes the was iguanas big ones at the pool area this animals gives me panic so I had a stresseds days when i was looking to relax

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

WyndhamEXEC, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback; your willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated. Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for not providing you with a memorable and enjoyable experience. I sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our resort, as we rely on our guests to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Our team strives to provide our guests with the best experience possible. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you should reconsider in giving us another opportunity to make it right.

4,332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

At my arrival, around 11am, the Concierge told me that I had arrived too early. I explained that I did not need the room but wanted to enjoy the facility, after all, my package was for 3 days and 2 nights. Check in is way too late 4pm. He did not even think that his comment was rude and did not apologyze for it. The activity pool was being remodeled and nobody bothered to let me know this fact before my arrival. After all, I did receive 2 emails in advance informing me all the amenities available at this hotel but not a word about the pool. I was informed at the Front Desk. Had I known that the pool was being remodeled I would have rescheduled.The only pool was crowded and looked dirty.i did not get in the pool at all. The day after my arrival my room was not made and I had to call the front desk around 6pm to have it serviced. I did not have the do not disturb sign at my door in case you are wandering. The Staff at the Tikki Bar was horrible, I requested a cup of water with ice and they denied it offering me bottled water for sale, After all I had to put up with the pool being closed and all the last thing I needed was this. The Rio Mar Hotel used to be my favorite hotel when it was administer by another company it is sad to see that the service is now poor.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Ivette,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. On behalf of my staff, please, accept our sincerest apology for any inconvenience. We know how important is to communicate changes that could impact our guests. That is why we updated our website with the pool closing information and informed our travel agents, business partners and wholesalers. We are sorry you were not informed. As you know we have two pools at the Resort and, in an attempt to make our guest’s stay more pleasurable, we made available the other for all guests to enjoy, including children. We also made accessible another pool, which is located walking distance from the hotel, through the transportation we provided. In addition, we offered additional amenities like inflatables for the children, a special schedule of guest activities at Marbella Garden located adjacent to the pool, complimentary shuttle to the outlet mall and discounted tours to the nearby attractions. We are glad to let you know the improvements to our pools are completed for the future enjoyment of our guests. I will share your
feedback with the operations department with a strong commitment to make
the needed improvements.

We look forward having the honor to serve you again in the near future!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Poor initial impression was given by the doorman who came up to the car and said we could park "far" away in the garage or valet for extra money. When we asked if we could unload the luggage and have someone stay with the car while we checked in we were told no because checking in can take a long time. He was extremely rude. He then went over to some of his coworkers and pointed at us and laughed. After valet parking we went inside to check in only to be told that the main pool-the one you see in all their advertising-was closed for maintenance. Only a much smaller pool was available at the hotel or we could "hike" down the beach to the members pool near the condos. We were not told this when we made the reservations. We were offered one free breakfast in compensation after complaining to the manager. The rooms while well decorated and spacious, did not have clean floors. On the plus side we found the housekeeping and restaurant staff to be courteous and helpful. Food was okay but very expensive. If you go there, plan to eat out. The excursions offered by the hotel were very expensive as well. It is well worth it to have your own car and make plans on your own. I would not stay there a second time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamEXEC, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our resort. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not what you expected. Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for not providing you with a memorable and enjoyable experience. Your observations and feedback will be addressed with our staff as we are focused, committed and dedicated to continuous improvement. We hope you will come and visit with us again.

Ponce, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

In general, everything was excellent. Food and drinks were on the expensive side and the phone in my room never worked even when it was changed.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

WyndhamEXEC, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the our resort. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the opportunity to eat in our restaurants. In respect to the prices, please note that we conduct frequent price comparisons to ensure that we remain competitive with other resorts.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Rooms, clean and comfortable. Showers worked well. Air conditioning kept room nice and cold. Walls thin, can hear loud party people like they are in your room.
Casino had nice selection of games and slots. No smoking was a plus.
Pool area was nice, but main pool closed for repairs so adult pool was overrun with kids. Beach was lots of fun, but waves can be rough for young ones. Great body surfing for 10 yr olds and up. Clean beach with tiki bar right on the sand. Long stretch of beach to walk.
Restuarants were very good, but a little pricey as you would expect.
Great location to do many activities around island.
Prob won't return, but it is because we have become more accustomed to Mexico and Dominic beaches.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Distinguished Guest,

Saludos from the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our resort.

We are thrilled you thoroughly enjoyed our wonderfully appointed guest rooms; spectacular tropical setting, beautiful beach, and felt at home in our little slice of paradise.

Once again, thank you and we hope you will return soon!

Warm regards,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Told us that the kids pool not operating when we arrived. Ice machine not work in fifth floor.Fourth neighbors at 2:00 am started arguing I could not sleep at all.When I complained I was offered only change the fourth. They do not believe me ,but being in the pool they heard the discussion and they sent hotel security.They gave me no apology

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback; your willingness to share your thoughts is very much appreciated.
Please allow me the opportunity to apologize for the unavailability of the activity pool which was under renovation and is now completed as well as the noise level from neighboring guests. Our team strives to provide our guests with the best experience possible. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you should reconsider in giving us another opportunity to make it right.

Danny Williams

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!