“Wyndham Not So Grand Resort” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Portland, Oregon
“Wyndham Not So Grand Resort”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

False alarms late at night and early in the morning.
Loss of power without back up.
Filthy bathroom.
Putting a noisy family in the room next to an adult couple.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
South Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I will say that the property is beautiful, vast and the service was great. My complaint is with the sound proofing between rooms with adjoining doors. I only stayed one night but was awoken at 1 am by three loud women. I could not believe how I could hear their conversation so clearly. They kept me up at least 2 hours with their childish banter. Payback was nice, as I'm an early riser and I put the television on full blast at 6 in the morning, then proceeded to go to the gym for my morning run.

Puerto Rico has some tiny nasty biting bugs. They might be no see ums or sand fleas. But whatever they are, they are nasty and my legs became covered in bug bites. There were tons of them at the beach bar. So, buy bug spray or be prepared to be bitten.

Room Tip: Request a room without an adjoining door.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have read the reviews both good and bad so I knew what to expect or at least what I had thought I would expect.

For some background, I had a conference over the weekend so we came in early on Monday to enjoy some vacation time as well. We absolutely loved Puerto Rico and will come back but will not stay at this property or another Wyndham probably as a result of our stay.

First, we rented a car so we could come and go all over the island if we wanted. We also stopped at the local Walgreens to pick up liquor, food, snacks, drinks, etc. We also purchased a cooler based upon the recommendations of other reviewers so we were prepared. The prices at the hotel are high but normal for most resorts that you would go to on the beach. We just wanted to limit our costs.

We arrived at the hotel and dropped our car off with the valet. It was a common practice that we noticed throughout our stay that no one was in a hurry to come get our car or leave to retrieve it. The hotel also requires you to sign out everytime you took the car to leave the property. Additionally as an FYI, when you check out, the valet requires your hotel receipt for your stay which would be fine if I had not buried it in the suitcase and it was 4 am when we were trying to leave. None of these would be a big deal if it had not been all the other problems that came along with it.

We self parked one day and the garage was flooded. No accommodations were made so I proceeded to wade through 2 feet of water to get to our car. When I asked the attendant about it, she said they were going to get a pump at some point. My colleague indicated he went to get his car about 5 hours later than me and the situation had still not been addressed.

The lobby is gorgeous and has amazing views of the beach and ocean. Check in was quick and the staff was courteous with any questions/concerns we may have had.

The water at the beach was beautiful. I don't think it is private because there was a sign that said you are now leaving Wyndham property. There were chairs and umbrellas available. The only minor issue I had with the beach that there was quite a few cigarette butts on the ground.

The pools (kid friendly & adult) were both clean and I appreciated the loungers with cushions so it made it extremely comfortable. The kid friendly pool also had music piped in that made you feel like you were in Puerto Rico which was also great.

We did eat in quite of few of the restaurants on property. The tiki bar and the Sea Breeze restaurant both had good food and I have food allergies and for the most part the restaurants were accommodating. Service was lackluster. The servers at both venues just did not seem happy to be there. We also at at the sushi restaurant and had sushi. The food was just okay not great but the service was the best we had had at the hotel. The other interesting observation was that the only restaurant open during lunch was a buffet at $20 per person, room service or the lobby bar with a few items. The tiki bar was closed because of the rain so there was not a whole lot of options. I believe because the staff was all working the two conferences going on that they did not have the staff to support cooked to order food. As a result, we left the property and I had to miss some of my conference.

My husband ordered room service on multiple occasions and I either they did not have the items (which they did not tell him until 40 minutes later) or the order taker refused to see if any accommodations could be made for my food allergies.

Now to the rooms. We had an oceanfront room with a great view. We loved the balcony and used it regularly. The room furniture was old but the beds were comfortable.

So here are the major problems aside from the overall lack of good service for the hotel:
1. NO HOT water on a regular basis.

2. Two of my colleagues had to switch rooms due to major issues in the room.

3. Our cable was intermittent and remote did not work when we checked in (they did promptly fix it).

4. Housekeeping was late everyday, usually after 2:30 and sometimes after 4 pm. On several of the days we just refused the housekeeping and on both occasions, we received towels from the staff with HUGE HAIRBALLS IN THEM. I addressed it with the manager and said the problem would be immediately addressed but apparently not because we then received another one like that with stains and hairballs on another day.

5. Our tub had huge chunks of acrylic missing on the bottom.

6. No wifi in the rooms.

This resort could be absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, the lack of quality service from the staff, the cleanliness of the hotel rooms/lines and lack of hot water just could not allow me to recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. This hotel is not cheap. Even though we did receive a good rate, I would still not EVER recommend anyone to stay here at any price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SAN ANTONIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had an great time at this resort. We had some issues with the television; it was not working well, so we could not watch many channels. The hallways should be vacummed and deoderized more often, as it smelled very musky. The last night of our stay, we were awakened at about 3:00 a.m. by the loud speaker asking us to make our way out of the building. That was very disappointing as we wanted to be sure to get a good nite's rest to gear up for the all day travel.

I loved the seclusion of this resort, yet a short drive from San Juan. Thank you again and we plan to return within the next two (2) years.

Thanks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!