Save Saved
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Rio Grande
CAGUAS
“MD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

thank you it was a good stay, however I was shocked that they were going to charge me for the room service of 5 empty plates and wine glasses;
also when I booked the room I was never informed of the 14% resort fees.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

4,368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
BETHEL PARK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It was a fine hotel. No issues except for poor water pressure. Otherwise, the wife and I had a great time. Will definitely go back again.

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Colchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My family and I stayed at this resort for our Puerto Rican vacation. I'm very impressed with this resort; it is by far, one of the best tropical resorts I've stayed at in a while. The lobby was an architectual wonder and the frontdeskmen were very friendly indeed. The room was amazing and so welcoming with an incredible view of the palm trees, the pools, and the beach. The pools themselves were refreshing and they truly were a paradise with the music, the palm trees, and sounds of the waves. The grounds themselves were beautiful and I couldn't ask for anywhere else to spend my vacation time. Yet, with the beauty it holds, the service can be lacking especially if there's no remote control or towels, it takes a while for them to arrive. Breakfast is incredibly delicious but really expensive. So for those who are on a budget, I recommend trying out some of the local cafes. Not only is it cheaper, it gives you a taste of Puerto Rican cuisine and culture. However, despite the average service and pricey breakfasts, this hotel is absolutely pristine in its nature and it reflects the beauty of the tropical paradise of Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones with a view of the palm tree courtyard. It's the most beautiful view...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff at the hotel were very courteous, very helpful (especially Reinaldo "Ray" at the front desk). They could use a few additional people at the desk. I had vacationed here earlier in the year with a friend and decided I had so come back to experience the views and proximity to other parts of PR with my boyfriend. Maybe because the vacation package was amazingly affordable, some of the negatives seemed trivial. Yes, the food at the hotel is expensive but there were so many EXCELLENT places nearby (Richies, Hacienda Carabali, Rum House near El Yunque, kiosks along 187 in Pinones and closer in Loquillo). And we did indeed grab a cooler, snacks, alcohol from walmart before checking in. Parking is pricey, but the convenience of having the car pulled up and ready to go was nice. The room was clean, could use a small refrigerator, ice machines not the best, plumbing so-so, but beds comfortable, a/c cold, view breathtaking. I didn't come to PR to stay in the room anyway. As anywhere, if there's a noisy neighbor, switching rooms is always an option.

Room Tip: Balcony outside family pool may get loud, Re. breakfast - food excellent, price pretty ridiculous...
Mission Viejo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Positives

+ Hotel grounds are beautiful especially the pools.
+ Location is convenient at only 17 miles from San Juan (about an hours drive)
+ No shortage of activities in the area
+ Across the main road from El Yunque National Park
+ Checking in and out only took 1 minute (literally).
+ No shortage of pool towels.
+ Received an upgrade to pool/ocean side view from standard room.
+ Initial booking cost is pretty good at about a buck twenty five a night.
+ Seems to have a lot of activities for kids.

Negatives

- Price of food at this resort is $$$$. Although we did receive a $100 food and drink credit which did offset the costs it still added up quick.
- Fridge rental is $10 a day. Needed if you buy drinks and sandwich fixings from local grocery stores like we did.
- The inside of the hotel is very cold. No AC required in the rooms it is that cold.
- Rooms showing some wear and tear.
- Beach has sand flies that loved me. Recommend sticking to the pools.
- Parking is a bit steep at $15+ a day.
- Internet access in the room was confusing... but free wifi in the lobby area was sufficient.

Overall our stay was good. Did not have as many complaints as other travelers probably because we were there in the off season. The value is pretty good considering the price vs. what you get, but watch out for those other costs (parking, food, fridge) once you get there. I would recommend this resort to others but would consider other options before returning again myself.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'm not sure where all the bad reviews come from? I think people expect more than what they pay for. My husband and I had a LivingSocial deal that we cashed in on. When I travel, I do extensive research to make sure we get the best deal out there and that the hotel is up to par. I didn't with this until after I paid for the deal. I was very hesitate to stay here due to all the bad reviews. Leading up to our trip, the reviews seemed to get better which was a definite relief for my husband and I. We took the recommendation on getting a rental car and upon arrival to the resort, we were greeting by smiling faces and people happy to help us. We arrived around 3 pm and we soon went to the check-in counter - not wait at all. We were seen immediately by Angela. Who informed us that we were to get a Rainforest view but since it's slow at the hotel, she'll upgrade us at no extra cost to a ocean view room but unfortunately our room wasn't available yet. We left our phone number with her and figured we'd get a call in about an hour. Husband and I toured the pool area, walked around the lobby and settled in for a few drinks at the Lobby Bar. Yes the drinks are super expensive! At 4:15, I went to see Angela to see if our room was ready, she had the phone up to her ear and dailing my phone number. We walked to our room (7072) and we were amazed at our view! Top floor center of the resort. Breathtaking view. We were floored. The room was very comfortable, beds were amazing. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough towels the first night and the water pressure was low when other guests were taking showers. Otherwise, our room was cleaned every day at around noonish, we had enough towels throughout the week and we just knew to take showers before 5 or after 6 to get decent water pressure.

Parking was expensive at $15.00 a day but we knew that and as well as the hefty resort tax per day.

The food and service at El Estancia was fantastic! They even did a little Tango and sang during your meal which was fun.

Marbella's buffet was ok, nothing to brag about and sort of pricey for what you get. We ordered off the menu for breakfast a few days and it was really good (egg benedict)! We also had lunch there one afternoon and it was great!

Palio was another amazing meal and our waiter was so much fun! I wish I could remember his name.

On Tuesday, Shimas has half priced sushi which was wonderful for me! The food was fresh and tasted great.

The small cafe near the casino was terribly overpriced for coffee, over $8.00 for two tall cups. ridiculous in my opinion.

We took advice from other travelers to grab food, drinks and a cooler at Walgreens. That certainly came in handy. We even asked for a fridge which is $10.00 per day that we got complimentary. Score!!

Parking was bit of a walk but who cares, you're on vacation with no deadlines so it didn't bother us at all.

We also golfed 9 holes and had a ton of fun - the course is in impeccable shape.

All in all the resort was lovely - the lobbey was beautiful and the grounds were beautiful! Yes the facade needs to be painted and the carpets in the halls need to be replaced. But really, if that is what matters to you while you are on vacation than you need to stay elsewhere - I hear the Ritz Carlton is nice! The staff was courtesy and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if another deal comes up to good to pass up.

Thanks for a wonderful week.

Room Tip: Definitely rent a car. Grab a cooler, drinks and snacks at Walgreens. Request room 7072, it was gr...
Dorado, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

One night stay at Rio Mar, was fairly priced, facilities are a bit dated but kept clean. Food was pricey, the rooms really old and simple decor, felt like I was staying at my grandmas house on a spare bedroom. Overall good for the price.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!