“An ok afternoon” 3 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #14 of 21 Activities in West Bay
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery Grand Cayman invites our guests to have the experience of a lifetime swimming with dolphins in paradise! Our Grand Cayman dolphinarium offers family-friendly programs for all ages, a Caribbean adventure you will never forget.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Memphis
17 attraction reviews
“An ok afternoon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our afternoon here was over-priced. This is only about dolphins, no other extras. I have done dolphin encounters in Nassau & there much more to do compared to here. Snack bar is way over-priced for lackluster food. Here's an alert: They DO NOT allow you to take your own pictures.if you do an actual experience with dolphins. They RIP YOU OFF (175 dollars) for an 8 minute video & about 100 still shots from their own photo studio.

Lanarkshire, Scotland
“Great Dolphin Interaction, Rip Off Photos”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just back from a trip here as part of our Royal Caribbean cruise. We all (5 of us - 3 kids between 10 & 17) thoroughly enjoyed the experience and the interaction with the Dolphins. The Dolphin trainer was very knowledgeable and made sure everyone got a good amount of time taking part. We booked the first trip of the day, so no issue with crowds, but by the time we left, it was getting very busy.
What soured the experience was the cost of the photographs afterwards. $25 for one picture or $195 for a CD of all the pictures (many of which were very good). Having 3 kids, we were keen on 3 photos, but all they offered was $40 for 2 pictures, but they had to be of the same child !! Made our feelings known to the local Tour Rep who suggested that Royal Caribbean influenced the pricing and we should make them aware of our feelings.Well worth a visit, but do not expect to have many photographic memories. Unsurprisingly, we were told that cameras are not allowed by visitors as they may scare the Dolphins. Interesting that the staff photographer was able to use his !!

Richmond, Texas
10 attraction reviews
“Poorly run and a total rip off!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I would not recommend this tour to ANYONE unless you enjoy being herded like cattle, provided unbelievably POOR service, and ripped off for pictures. If you look at most of my reviews, I am very quick to praise great service and in fact have written no negative reviews. This was a terrible experience and I just would like families looking into this trip to be advised. Read on for details

Sailed on the Disney Magic out of Galveston Oct 13th 2012 with my wife, mother, 4 and 11 year old daughters. We booked the "Dolphin Encounter" in Grand Cayman as it was the excursion that age appropriate for our youngest daughter and thought it would be neat to interact with these amazing mammals up close as a family. Upon arrival we were herded into the facility and shown the lockers to drop possessions during our time in the water. We were told it would be a few moments until the rest of the group showed up and to enjoy the snack bar for quick refreshments. They were unable to make change for a $20 bill for a drink and would not take a card for charges under $10. I went inside to the gift shop for change and they said I had to buy something for change and I explained that I was buying something outside and they had no change. The lady shrugged her shoulders and walked away.
Into the water, the actual dolphin experience is "nice" but is in a concrete pool area and everything is almost robotic. I really felt like they were just going through the motions to get to the next group of "suckers". Our “paparazzi” lady seemed to be falling asleep while taking pictures. My 11 year old even noticed the lack of enthusiasm from the guide and said “I hope that wasn’t it”. After only 25 min in the water we were out of the pool and the kids were thirsty so another attempt at the snack bar for so quick food and drinks before heading over to the turtle farm. My wife ordered conch fritters and nachos with drinks for everyone as we were told they were quick and easy items. We wanted something fast so we would have time to explore the turtle farm across the street. After waiting almost 30 minutes for the snacks were told them to forget it. During our wait we could not get additional drinks as they still could not make change. As we stood up to leave they waved us over to pick up our food and a guy brought me a beer offering his apology. I thought that the beer was gratis for the poor service and he asked me for $6 dollars. I told him thank you but it wasn’t ever the “flavor” I asked for.
NOW for the real SCAM. I have done a lot of tours, some great some dismal. I understand the whole pictures of your excursion for purchase thing. However, for this group to charge over $120 USD per person for the tour (including charging my 11 year old as an adult) and then WHACK you for another $200 to get the pictures they took because they don't allow you to take your waterproof cam is ridiculous. I spoke to other families on the boat that did this excursion in Cozumel and said it was fantastic as it was in a natural lagoon and felt like there was much more value to what they got out of the trip.
Hope this helps save some frustration for your family!

Enon, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
“Do the dolphin extreme experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We did all these things already listed.We kissed them,shook ther"hands", was pushed on a boogie board from our feet, rode their bellies and just played with them. It was also heartwarming to see the relationship between the dolphins and their trainers. Mine was named Darwin and was a 10 year old,rescued 7 years ago after a shark bit him in the side.(huge scar) . We also petted sting rays and there were lots of nasty iguanas everywhere!!! Nice facility and people!!!! Really great experience and wayyyy worth it!

Visited September 2012
Bedford
20 attraction reviews
“Misleading!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The description of this was given to us as ' admission only, with the option of walking around watching others with the dolphins and seeing iguanas, crocodiles, birds, hermit crabs etc, sounded lovely, so we went - very disappointed, saw 4 parrots and about 6 chickens!! 1 Iguana, which was native anyway, saw the dolphins yes, but still very disappointing. We were greeted well, with all good intentions, then literally ' dumped' with a guy who explained about the hurricane pool, then we had a slight storm, so was ushered under cover and then left for about 2 hours!!! No one even came back to us - very poor service indeed.....

Visited September 2012