“A 7-star experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 21 Activities in West Bay
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most unique ways to experience Grand Cayman! Trek along the edge of the Caribbean Sea atop one of our magnificent beauties! Enjoy a lazy walk as the surf rolls in and out at the feet of your horse. For the more adventurous, feel the wind in your hair as you canter along the white sand beach. Try something completely out of the ordinary with the swim ride - hold on tight as your horse is steered into the cool and refreshing waters of the Caribbean for a wonderful swim.The true romantics can see the softer side of Cayman with the moonlit ride during the full moon. Guided only by the natural instincts of your horse, enjoy the peaceful nirvana of paradise where the modern world is far and away!Whatever your choice, Spirit of the West delivers premium service with true Caymanian hospitality. Each ride is an experience of a lifetime and every rider feels like they have done something they will never forget!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Clearwater, Florida
20 attraction reviews
“A 7-star experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We arranged this tour during a recent NCL cruise. Our driver met us at the pickup location 10 minutes early. Though we had to wait for another couple who were late, it did not affect our ride at all. The ride was AMAZING! There were 8 in our group (6 adults and 2 kids) plus two guides. Little did we know that my wife and I were the only ones signed up for the swim. As the other 6 riders continued down the beach, we dismounted and changed into swimsuits. Our guide (young girl that I apologize for forgetting her name) was super. She removed the saddles and took us out into the water. The horses just loved it (as did we). The ride was gentle yet exhilirating. After spending about 15 minutes in the water, we saddled up and continued down the beach. Our guide took TONS of photos for us with our own camera. No pressure to sell you anything. Their only concern was that we enjoyed our ride and had a good time. This was by far the best experience I've ever had in Grand Cayman. I will definitely do this again when I return with the kids.

New York
5 attraction reviews
“Could have been awesome but wasn't :(”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I was very disappointed with experience because I saw how it could have been amazing but ended up being frustrating. To start, while I was very happy that they were doing a pickup at our hotel, they ended up being about 40 minutes late to pick us up, and didn't even offer an apology! This wouldn't have been as big of a deal except that we had booked a sunset private ride, and by the time we got to the location, the sun had already gone down. Not only did we miss the beauty of the sunset, but by the time we hit the turn around and were on our way back, it got SO dark (being on the east side of the island means a very early sunset in December) that we couldn't see anything and naturally the horses were tripping over shells and branches. Also, the entire reason we booked a private ride was so that we could canter and gallop, etc, but in almost complete darkness with unfamiliar horses, that is much less enjoyable on a narrow beach. In fact, I almost ran into a lone fisherman on the tiny shore because I simply couldn't see anything in the night.

On the plus side, the guide was great and took good pictures of us (this timing snafu was not her fault), the horses were responsive and fun to ride, and by the time we got to the beach, the booking manager offered an apology. But overall I felt that we spent a LOT of money and definitely did not get what we paid for. The "Sorry for being late" doesn't bring daylight back, nor does it refund any of the $270 we spent. My guess is that another day or time this would have/could have been a wonderful excursion, but in this particular instance we felt shafted and very short-changed.

Since I didn't try any of the other horseback riding companies, I can't compare experiences, but if I ever go back, I probably wouldn't do this one again :(

Dallas, Texas
“The perfect way to explore the beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I must first start off with the fact that they pick you up and drop you off for no charge (on time).Our driver was so nice and helped start the experience off with great energy he even offered some activities to do on the island.This was such a great experience!Our guide Talicia and my horse Angel(the bestest) were so great!I haven't had great experience with horses in the past,but Talicia's confidence settled y nerves.I love the beach it's nice and remote so there's not so much hustle and bustle to distract the horses and experience.I plan to go back soon and I cant wait to do this again it's great for friends and would be a great romantic activity as well.A must do!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
19 attraction reviews
“Awesome, once-in-a-lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was a great trip and the guides with Spirit of the West were second to none! The horses were well trained (except one stubborn girl) and there really is nothing like riding a horse on a beach and swimming on its back in the ocean. It really was an amazing time and the guides were GREAT! Two lessons learned-- let their service to pick YOU up-- it's a bit tough / confusing to find the place where THEY pick you up. And make sure to go to the bathroom or you'll be using the woods along the shore.

New York
10 attraction reviews
“Follow up of old Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I recently wrote a review of this barn and it was negative due to an incident that happened on the ride. I have been going back and forth with the owner who didn't remember the incident. I am thankful for her diligence. I e-mailed my daughter last night who made the reservation, and while this is the group we had researched and planned to go with, they were apparently full and we rode with Pampered Ponies instead. I am sorry that I never knew of the change. I have never ridden with this group. I had to rate the attraction so I gave it full points, but once again did not ride with them . . . so I am giving them the points on "attention to detail". I am sorry for this error.