“Don't rent unit #119!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Bay Condo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Bay
Coconut Bay Condo
You added Coconut Bay Condo to your Saves list
North West Point Road, West Bay, Grand Cayman   |
Southern California
“Don't rent unit #119!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I recently stayed at Coconut Bay condo's unit #119. Note that this is the only unit that is not managed by the onsite manager, Duncan. When we arrived on a Sunday at about 5:30 PM, the condo was locked and there was a note for us to go somewhere else as the water wasn't on in the unit. The other place was 1/2 the size and right on the busy West Bay Road where all we could hear was traffic. We were told Monday was a holiday as well so the water wouldn't be on until Tuesday. When I spoke to the manager on the phone she insisted that this was an upgrade because it was on 7 mile beach. I told her if I had wanted to stay on 7 mile beach I would have booked a place there and we were there to dive, not sit on the beach. She also said she sent me an email and we didn’t answer. Uh, well we were on our way! We chose this place based on the Trip Advisor reviews and the fact that we could dive right off the property and my daughter could take here dive lessons just a few steps away at Sundivers. Now I would have to drive her back and forth and wouldn’t be able to dive myself while she was doing her lessons. I had a problem with Sundivers as well and would not recommend them.
She told us to go ahead and base ourselves at the Coconut Bay place if we wanted to. We moved in on Monday night with the promise that the water would be on Tuesday morning. By about 1:00 PM on Tuesday still no water. A woman cleaning the place next door came over and invited herself in and told us that the water company showed up at 9:00 Am but we failed to open the door and they decided not to turn it on because we left something running. I was up cooking breakfast at 9:00 AM and didn’t know I was suppose to “make sure I was there to let them in”. She proceeded to gossip about both the owner and property manager until I had to walk out and leave her there. Turns out she is the sister-in-law of the person who rented us the place. I guess she felt this made it ok just to walk in and not leave when I told her I had to leave. I left my son at the condo while I took my daughter to her dive lessons so that “someone would be there to let the water company in”. I found out that the water was off because the owner didn’t pay the bill. This is inexcusable when vacationers are renting a place for a limited time and spending thousands of dollars to be there!
The condo was poorly maintained. The beds are horrible and there were missing screens on the windows. There were other broken items as well or things that just fell apart when we tried to use them. There were dead flies everywhere inside the place. These should have been cleaned up prior to our arrival. The manager never bothered to stop by to make sure everything was ok. She sent me an email expecting that I would just be picking up emails.
To top it all off, the manager sent me an email after we returned home telling me she had refunded my deposit and would not charge me for “all of the broken things”. I was incensed as we didn’t break anything! Clearly this is how the owner pays for maintenance. Also a good way to avoid offering any credits when vacationers have such a bad experience.
I DO NOT recommend renting this unit. Between the condo rental, our experience at Sundivers and the dive master we hired I doubt I would return to the Cayman Islands.
It’s too bad our experience was so bad. The location is nice and the layout of the place was nice. It would have been much better to rent one of the other places from Duncan as the maintenance looked to be a lot better and we could have just walked over and asked him for any help. One note that the Jacuzzi is not heated, which was disappointing and the little beach was swarming with bees.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great space and well kitted out. 3 bedrooms and 3 and half bathrooms is so much better value than the hotels in town. Great shore diving. Cracked Conch next door for food. You do need a car and it is a little way from town but this is the only issue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Watersmeet, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

After researching several condo rentals on or near Seven Mile Beach, we decided on a townhouse at Coconut Bay. The complex is situated on the ocean with access by ladder for snorkelers and divers. Just remember to wear water shoes when getting into the water, because of prickly sea urchins that hang out on and around the bottom rungs of the ladder. For those who prefer sand, there is a man-made sandy area back away from the rock shoreline, where the kids can play or where sunbathers can stretch out.

The complex has two swimming pools: one smaller, patio accessible pool in a lush jungle-like setting; and a larger pool closer to the ocean. Most in our party used the smaller pool more frequently because of the convenience of quick off-the-patio access. The tropical ambiance of that locale couldn't have been better!

The townhouse was spacious--3 bed, 3 bath--and certainly adequate for three married couples and two small children. The kitchen appliances were modern (stainless steel), and all necessary dishes, utensils and cooking equipment were provided. There were some small problems encountered: one clogged bathroom drain; one difficult shower faucet (corrosion because of sea air is common); tiny ants in one of the bathrooms; low supply of toilet tissue; and a strong unpleasant odor coming from the garbage disposal (grinding up some ice in it solved the problem). These, however, were minor inconveniences that were quickly remedied. The air conditioning on all three floors worked perfectly.

Although a rental car would be recommended for that area, Coconut Bay is serviced by local buses, making traveling to and from George Town (and points in between) quite convenient.

Our one week stay at the townhouse was very pleasant, and we would definitely return if Grand Cayman once again becomes part of our vacation plans.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Urbandale, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This location is perfect for both divers and non-divers with access to shore diving on site, 2 pools, beach, a restaurant with a deck on the water and the Turtle Farm within walking distance. A rental car is definite though so you can run around the island as this complex isn't close to any shopping and only the one restaurant. HIGHLY recommend!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

We recently took a week-long trip as a group of six friends and wanted to rent a house or condo with a patio and grill. We found the Coconut Bay condos online through various owner-maintained websites and ended up booking a three-bedroom poolside unit (as opposed to the beachside units). It was an easy 30 minute drive from the airport and we were all immediately pleased with how large and clean the condo was. The kitchens, bathrooms, living room, etc were all spotless (minus some stains on the carpeting upstairs) and all the rooms are very spacious. It is decorated with the typical island-style linens and furniture (not too gaudy but certainly nothing like a W hotel). The kitchen was modern and had all the utensils/pans/cups we could have needed. The complex itself is well-maintained and quiet. There is a great patio with a gas grill. The pool felt a bit small when there were other guests (read: kids/families) using it at the same time, but it was generally pretty empty and we often had the whole area to ourselves. There is a man-made beach next to the solid-rock shoreline and the sand is actually pretty nice and we watched amazing sunsets from the beach chairs every night. There is a ladder down into the water from the rocky shore and we swam/snorkeled every day. The water was beautiful and warm with lots of interesting fish, although it could get a bit choppy on windy days. There is a great bar (the Cracked Conch) within a 1-minute walk from the condo and we often went for cocktails in the evening before coming home to barbecue. There is an upscale restaurant next to the bar but we never tried it. Seven Mile Beach is only a five-minute drive away and it was easy to park along the road or at a public access lot whenever we wanted to spend time there. My only complaint about the whole trip was that there was only a tiny bit of toilet paper in the house when we arrived (spread among four different bathrooms) and a handful of other staples (dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, paper towels, etc) were not provided. There were Wi-Fi signals available, but there were all too weak or locked so we did not have internet access (no landline either -- which I personally enjoyed a great deal). We all agreed that it was the perfect place to stay for our group and would definitely recommend it to others. We might consider paying extra for a beachfront unit if we return -- they are right on the water.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

We spent seven weeks at Coconut Bay and loved it! Very Caribbean architecture, huge condo (3 bedrooms/2 bath). Fabulous with pool out the back overlooking the ocean. We dive and dove right from shore, down the dive ladder and 30 feet out to the mini-wall which was 40-70 feet! Another 50 feet to the BIG wall...and wonderful coral heads, sponges, all untouched because no dive boats anchor there! It was a 2 minute walk to Dive-Tech Dive Center for our gear. So we could literally put our gear on in our condo then walk to the dive ladder and hop in! Was great not dealing with dive boats and early morning schedules. The condo was family-friendly and many residents showed us the ropes. We loved West Bay -- a small village of very friendly people -- away from the crowds of Seven Mile Beach. Our unit had ADSL but there was an Internet Cafe right at the 4-corners to send faxes. Many nights we took our dinner to West Bay Beach and ate, had champagne and watched the sunset! Already made plans to go back next year!

Been to Coconut Bay Condo? Share your experiences!