Ok..the positive: Elizabeth and her brother who seem to manage the property are lovely, friendly people. They want their guests to be happy and were very helpful at making changes in our accommodations..2 of them in fact. We first chose a raised cabana, that had AC, no hot water, no wifi and no mini fridge. We were told a fridge would be brought to us from another room, however, after viewing a second story room from the outside, with a hammock, we asked to relocate to that room, and we were quickly granted our request. This room also had AC, it worked well, wifi that we could only access from Bibi's, the restaurant across the path, a sink, a fridge that didn't work at all, no hot water and two bedrooms: one with a queen bed, the front room with two twins. We slept in the queen bed, however, one of the " walls " in our bedroom was a set of louver doors , and provided great access for me to be eaten alive by no see ums all night, and earlier in the day..sand fleas. All of the Deet in Panama, and I used a boat load, didn't even phase these biting bugs. Hoping for a better experience, I explained my discomfort to Elizabeth, and she agreed to again relocate us a room below the was fully screened in.This room also had AC, a sitting porch with table and chairs, and again..no hot water, but a working fridge and again, wifi from Bibi's... but when Bibi's closes, so does the wifi. Aside from the bug bites, the rooms needed a thorough cleaning. The linens were just ok at best and the comments I had read previously by Chris and Jessica about remodeling, seemed to be just that: comments. We did not feel at all the it was a fair value for the stay. The beach is lovely, and it is a rustic place..that is taken into consideration, but I caution anyone to have a frank conversation about what you expect and what you will receive before checking in. And IF you are prone to the bug bites, avoid it all together. We learned AFTER checking out from literally every person we spoke to, that Carenero and the Buccaneer are KNOWN for this problem. Bibi's is great.,good food, friendly people, excellent drinks. If it weren't for the kindness of Elizabeth and her brother, and another young girl, I would rate it " poor ", but the three of them really did their best to make our stay pleasant. Even without the bug bites, I personally would not return to the Buccaneer. However, do check out Bibi's..they do a have great food and drinks with a really fun and friendly staff!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small resort/hotel on Isla Carenero across from Bocas on Colon Island. Recently purchased, and being completely renovated. A white sandy beach on the south-east stretch of the island provides a great starting point for many local activities. A new Royal 2-bedroom suite has been added with a full kitchen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Buccaneer Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buccaneer Hotel Carenero Island
- Buccaneer Resort Panama/Carenero Island, Bocas Del Toro