“Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Acuario

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carenero Island
Casa Acuario
You added Casa Acuario to your Saves list
Carenero Island | Bocas Del Toro, Carenero Island, Panama   |
Special Rate
Great Rate Book Direct
Philadelphia
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Excellent location, comfortable beds, spacious rooms. Swim right off your dock or walk up the shoreline and find a spot. It's easy to catch the water taxi to get to the main island for more choices of bars and restaurants. Casa Acuario is a wonderful place to stay in Bocas.

NOTE: the no-see-um bug bites. I'm the kind of person that mosquitoes devour, so wish I had brought a topical benadryl with me... I knew about the bugs, but didn't really know what to do. Benadryl in pill form puts me to sleep, and Skin so soft didn't work for me. Wish I had known about topical benadryl.

Room Tip: We loved being on the dock where we could just jump in the water and see the boats go sailing by.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We have stayed at Casa Acuario on two separate occasions and were not disappointed on either stay. Elia's breakfast was the highlight of the day. Very friendly staff and very clean. Very economically priced.

Room Tip: This property is located over the water and the breezes are wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very cosy little hotel with big clean and pretty rooms. The lady who takes care of you is really nice and welcoming.

Everything was perfect except for the location where all the boat taxis passes by and make quite a lot of noise. Carenero island is next to Bocas island and there is a bit of water traffic around. On the other hand, it is really easy to "grab a taxi", they often spot you before you even stop to wait and in the evening you can just use the outdoor little light to as taxi signal. Everyone knows the place and the people who work there so you feel very safe and comfortable. We had an amazing stay and felt very much at home in beautiful Casa Acuario.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was our second stay at Casa Acuario in the last year. A wonderful spot. Elia and her staff took wonderful care of us. A perfect place to stay just outside of Bocas Town. You can sit out on the deck at night and listen to the music from Bocas. We'll be back.

Room Tip: We liked room 4. Top corner towards town
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here on extended "girls night out" that we decided to meet up for relatively 1/2 way… she came from USA, me from Europe, both mid-30s. We salivated at the pictures of Casa Aquario for about a month in anticipation and were happy to find that it exceeded our expectations, and more.

Upon arrival - water taxi is about 10 minutes from Bocas town - we were met by the lovely Joanie, and the AC had been turned on in our room prior which is probably not something to always expect, but it was a beautiful gesture.

This is the type of establishment that makes you dream about the possibilities of living a carefree life in the tropics… nice furnishings in the rooms, great breakfast and attention to anything we required, but also privacy and independence to do as you please. A true home away from home. We stayed in two different rooms (top right and bottom left on our last night after we intentionally missed our plane and extended our stay). The structure is solidly built, and very comfortable. In one bathroom there was a little hole in the floor and I could see the crystal clear water below… very romantic.

The open air kitchen is well-appointed. There is a main fridge, but also a separate hotel-style ice machine that is pretty invaluable in this area of the world. An honour system is employed with regard to touching other people's stuff, helping yourself to beverages and there is a little black book where you settle up your self-calculated expenses upon leaving.

I am so glad we stayed here rather than in busy Bocas town and we did look at other places thinking we might mix things up a bit, but Casa Acuario was one of the best we saw and was very comfortable… We spent one night at an eco resort about an hour away and were able to leave everything behind apart from overnight bags which was handy. When we got back, it felt like "coming home" which is a nice feeling abroad.

At night we would lounge on the dock chatting and swimming at times, and could even go and stand at the end of the dock and wave our arms to hail a water taxi if we wanted. Noise does travel across the water from a couple of the discos in Bocas town, but bring earplugs and you should be fine. We didn't have any trouble sleeping whatsoever.

We did not need advice about where to go or what to do as we had a friend living in Bocas, but I am confident Joanie could have organised anything for us. My beach towel blew into the water one night and she found it the next day, fished it out and washed it for me.

We swam mostly right off the dock, but did use the small beach next door one day toward the end of our stay, which was nice - but did have sand flies/noseeums. You don't want to spend too much time laying on the sand there without adequate protection during the start of rainy season (I think the nasties are more prevalent then and throughout it, but you can get current info from any local)

I was sorry to read one other reviewer's experiences, but I can categorically say that I felt safe the entire time I was there and that my every need was met. Thanks to Joanie and everyone there who gave us a very memorable stay. You will be first on my list to return to should I ever visit Panama in future! :) (I did miss seeing a few spots, so will probably come back at some point)

Food in Bocas town was all around EXCELLENT. Best sushi I've ever had, oddly.

Bocas town is not everyone's cup of tea and for me had a kind of "wild west" feel about it, but we got great value for money - had a fabulous time - and if you're of the fun-loving, adventurous, street smart sort I'd highly recommend a visit to Bocas... with Casa Acuario as your base whilst there.

Go with the recommendation of the other reviewer here and find that special water taxi - or one of your own - you can ask one of the many ex-pats in town who to use as well (or I'm sure Joanie). We had a few "regulars", took probably a total of 40 rides or so during our 8 day stay, but if you're of the shy sort you may wish to stick with just one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Fortunately we managed to nab ourselves a room here late notice after being unhappy with the neighbouring hotel, we stayed for 6 nights and never wanted to leave. The staff are friendly, the rooms and clean and spacious with hot showers! Comfortable beds and good pillows - few places have this in Central America we found. Located on the middle island, easy to get to the mainland and easy to get to bastimentos. Breakfast was lovely and nothing could beat the sunsets in our hammocks outside our room. Highly reccomended!

• Stayed August 2013
Panama City, Panama, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Casa Acuario is a perfect place for a getaway! It is a 5 minute boat ride away from the main island making it close enough if you want to go there and far enough to be away from it all.

The rooms are beautiful and spacious. Great inside woodwork gives the suites that beautiful cozy feeling to it - makes you want to stay in all day.

Good attention from the owner and her assistants.

Great place to go to, either with the entire family, a small group of friends or just your significant other.

At approx $80.00 per night, it can be difficult to stay there for more than a few nights (if you're traveling with a tight budget) but other than this, I must say that I loved Casa Acuario!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Acuario? Share your experiences!