“Lovely coffee and cake....” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Whitehills, United Kingdom
“Lovely coffee and cake....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Lovely cafe in beautiful Warkworth. Lemon meringue pie and raspberry roulade were both homemade and delicious. Noticed others having fish soup - which looks amazing. Will need to try it next time.

Northumberland
“Nice food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Certainly enjoyed the food here. I had the fish soup. It was very tasty and hearty. The cakes are very nice. The decor needs a little attention, but don't let that put you off.

Visited January 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Be aware of credit card charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Visited this restaurant on Sunday not the first time we have been here but felt need to make people aware (because they don't) of charge for using credit card. Having asked if they took credit cards I would have thought they could have made me aware then that they would charge me £1 on a £22.50 bill but I only became aware when asking for the bill although they did tell me there was a free cash machine at the Post Office. Wherever that is.
Food OK although chips weren't fresh ie frozen/chilled (and we had asked if everything was home made), my wife's beef dinner was drowned in a thick glutinous gravy. When will the cafe/ restaurants learn not everyone wants there dinner drowned in gravy. Better give it in a gravy boat so the diner can decide how much they want.
Overall memorable for the wrong reasons. Would I go back yes but not in a hurry it was alright.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Christmas Spirit is Here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We initially called in to buy some takeaway sandwiches, however, the warmth of the cafe and the spectacular Christmas decorations, especially the white ceiling decor, persuaded us to sit and stay.
The waitress was very pleasant and welcoming. We had our 3 year old granddaughter with and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of her fish fingers and chips portion for £3.75. The menu had sufficient variety, catering for most hungry needs. The homemade cakes looked particularly appetising and appealing. Unfortunately we are both on a diet so all we could do was stare and drool. The cafe has no pretensions, it is a fairly basic family cafe, however, it has a nice cozy and welcoming atmosphere, producing good home cooked food. The only criticism I can level is that the tables are a little to close and would benefit in the slow season to take away a table or two. There were only three tables in use during our visit.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Good tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I visit this cosy little restaurant whenever I am in Warkworth with my family. We have enjoyed many evening meals and Sunday lunches here as well as snacks. The roast lamb is a favourite...cooked to perfection. A trip to Warkworth would not be complete without a visit to Topseys. We have some very pleasant memories of happy times spent here. Margaret is a very good hostess with a wicked sense of humour. It is worth mentioning, they also sell food to take out.

• Visited October 2013