“Lack of service” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oxford, England
“Lack of service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

The Corick House is in a beautiful location with lovely walled gardens and far-reaching views. Internally it is furnished with antiques and this includes the traditional bedrooms. Apparently modern bedrooms are also available. However the problem is the service, or should I say lack of service.

When we arrived and asked whether any rooms were available, after checking the diary, the receptionist then had to go and check the rooms were made up. En route to the bedrooms we noticed advertisements for “Fathers Day lunch” despite this having taken place several weeks earlier. Despite all their publicity materials the restaurant was not open on Monday evening. On returning from dinner elsewhere there was no-one in reception and after waiting for a long time we had to telephone the hotel in order to get someone to come to reception to give us our keys! We were asked what time we would like breakfast (see below). On reaching the room a light bulb wasn’t working, it took 2 hours to arrive.

In the morning when we came down to breakfast a different receptionist was very surprised to see us as she didn’t think anyone was staying in the hotel. She then proceeded to cook breakfast for us. Whilst waiting for breakfast a gentleman who had been waiting in reception came and asked us whether there were any staff in the hotel. We told him the receptionist was in the kitchen and he went in to find her. They then proceeded to walk round the hotel looking for something so we had quite a wait for our food. In all the other hotels we stayed in in Northern Ireland we were always asked if our breakfast was OK, did we want more tea, toast etc. but this did not happen here.

On returning to the hotel after being out for 8 hours we were told our rooms had not yet been made up and could they do them now. It was later that we noticed the biscuits and milk on the tea tray were beyond their “use by” dates by about 3 months.

On going into an almost empty restaurant at 7.30pm we were asked whether we had booked a table, which we had. We were then ushered out of the restaurant into the bar. When we were ready to order the owner of the hotel (I assume) SAT DOWN with us to take the order. She then immediately got back up again and said she had to take another order through to the kitchen as the “chef gets very irate if he gets 2 chits at once”. When she came back she commented on the out of date biscuits which she said she would have eaten and that the girl who did the rooms needed glasses to check the dates. Another couple who were staying in the hotel that evening were not recognised as guests.

When our table was supposedly ready we were taken through to the restaurant to find it situated in a drafty doorway leading to the bar and conservatory despite the restaurant still being empty. Also there were only 2 chairs for 3 of us.

For dessert the strawberry cheesecake was more like a mousse on a biscuit base and the pavolva was uncooked egg white. When we complained about the pavlova the owner told us this was how it was made in Northern Ireland and she got someone from another table to join in the conversation. When the coffee arrived we asked for cups. These were apparently not on the table as “there was not enough room”. Later when we noticed there was no milk the waiter said “as well!” as if we should not want both cups and milk!

There was a lack of hot water for baths, but this was made up for the fact that my sink had 2 hot taps and no cold. Many of the fire exits are blocked by tables and chairs and one from the first floor of the old building is covered in broken glass, so remember to put your shoes on if the fire alarm goes off!

I thought maybe the hotel just concentrated on weddings and functions rather than individual guests but having read the other review on this website I’m not so sure about that. Certainly a function room was not cleared until the following day and also I was the one who held open the front door for some elderly people arriving for a function.

Certainly this hotel does not represent the standard of service that all the other hotels we stayed at in Northern Ireland provided. It is such a shame because of its lovely internal decoration and setting. Perhaps someone else could take over the management as there isn't any at the moment

• Liked — Location, decoration and gardens
  • Disliked — Lack of service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Dungannon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for my daughter's small family wedding.

The service during the day at the bar was terrible. We had a member of staff that basically barked at you when you placed an order.
At one point the staffed carried a battered old settee through the room we were sitting in.

At the wedding meal it was so bad that we are still waiting to be served our tea & coffee!!!

The evening reception was in a small function room in the new part of the building the foyer of which had lights that were on a sensor and as you walked through it the lights kept going out.
An elderly lady guest fell on the steps. Luckily she was not injured just a bit starled . The function room had no toilets beside it and everyone had to trek up and down the corriders to go the nearest toilets. It was very strange.

Our room was in the old part of the house which is listed and I respect that the windows cannot be replaced but they can be kept in good repair and draft proofed.

It was a very windy night and the windows rattled and banged all night the pillows were just hard lumps and I had no sleep at all.

The next morning we had no hot water there was only a bath in our room and a hand held shower attachment to wash your hair
At this point I give up and just wanted to go home.

Several guests complained about the rooms being cold that night

The final insult came as we were packing the car in preparation for handing in our keys to the front desk
The girl in the office shouted out across the room which had other guests in it that we had an outstanding bill to pay before we disappeared off.

I was insulted and embrassed.

I went to pay her and told her firmly that i had no intention of not paying by bill and what she had just done was not good practice.

Unforunately I was very upset and I told her what I thought of the previous days service at the wedding which I had not really wanted to do, as my daugher had arranged the wedding herself and I did not wish to take away from her day in any way as she had enjoyed her wedding day.

This dispute was purely between the staff member and myself no one else.

But as my daughter was leaving the premises they took it aupon themselves to inform her that I had not been happy with the previous day. It really upset her!!!

It was nothing to do with my daughter and it was totally out of order.

I have since phoned and expressed my total disappointment in there lack of management skills. This should not have happened.

This type of thing does not help the hotel industry in northern Ireland at all.
I shall not be back

• Stayed January 2008

Been to Corick House? Share your experiences!