We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendations Please!!

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 81
Hotel recommendations Please!!

Tuesday March 4th my 9 year old grandson and I are arriving in Costa Rica with a private transfer to Monteverde. I thought we were going to Los Pinos Cabinas (which I pre-paid months ago) but they are "sorry" for their mistake. I'll remember that when I have to change all my transportation bookings.

I am at work right now and just want to cry. Really. Starting to research again right now just does not seem like any fun to me. Any suggestions to narrow my search down?

We will have no car. Would like at the least mini fridge if not kitchenette. Budget under $125.

I have private tours booked for half days each ( bettter notify forestalive also) going to Selvatura & Curi Cancha reserve where we will be cabbing it too. Afternoons will be free so somewhere walkable...

14 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
1. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

I would prefer a cabin also

Midland, Texas
reviews: 122
2. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

We have stayed at Rainbow Valley Lodge several times and loved it. It is very small (only 3 units) so availability may be a problem on short notice. It is slightly out of town, cabins sit off the road and over look a valley. It is walkable to city center, but would probably want to take a cab at least one way. Selvatura will pick up at the lodge--but for your hike at the reserve would need a cab.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

What lovely views they have at Rainbow Valley Lodge.. I've sent them an email.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
4. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

check Rustic Lodge, I have stayed there. The owners brother also owns a place called Monteverde Villa Lodge I think. Might get lucky. Sorry to hear the hotel hosed you.

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
5. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

Have you seen this? www.monteverdeinfo.com/monteverde/hotel.htm

Maybe you can find something out of the bunch of hotels listed there. There aren't that many bungalows or "cabinas" so you might end up at a regular hotel - but it will depend on which is more important to you. For me, the location would be more important than having my own cabin or bungalow....... but that's me.

I've stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge and it's very close to the Reserve- within walking distance.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

I believe I checked.. Monteverde Villa Lodge .. Good thing my boss is understanding.. what a work day today is.

Didn't make it to the liquor store Hattie.. been searching.. yes I saw that sight.. thanks.. I 'm fighting with myself right now over cabin vs location.

Valle Campanas is really talking to me.. 2 story cabin (I live in stinky 1 bedroom apartment)... got a few response where closer in town .. a little cheaper but no kitchen... tough decisions in life to make now.

I do have a private guide booked for both mornings half day .. and then the night tour... I would be cabbing it anyway.... hmmm??

I'm viewing the map of hotels and can anyone tell me am I walking anywhere form Valle Campanas ?? Not cheap on cabbing but we love to walk and talk.. the most enjoyable moments we have.

Edited: 1:21 pm, February 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

Trapp Family Lodge.. the name is just turning me off...LOL... and no I'm not drinking.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

I'm booked at Rainbow Valley Lodge. Gracias Brown11.. Sounds like a wonderful place. They book on the "trust" system. Amazing after "trusting" Los Pinos Cabanas and prepaying months in advance (something I will NEVER do again)

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
9. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

You've made a right decision, Lesab! I hope you have opted to stay at the upper apartment; it has a killer view!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 57
10. Re: Hotel recommendations Please!!

You've made a right decision, Lesab! I hope you have opted to stay at the upper apartment; it has a killer view! The place has a great location, and truly wonderful host.

Reply to: Hotel recommendations Please!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted