We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need June itinerary tweaking

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SF
Need June itinerary tweaking

Thanks for the help so far. I am hoping for a bit more input on our itinerary, given that the afternoons may be very rainy. (Originally, my trip had been scheduled for a drier season.) A few questions are below. FYI: 2 parents and 3 kids aged 9 - 14. Pursing a mix of the typical outdoor adventures, but with one parent who currently has limited mobility and will be sitting out the more rigorous activities. Love culture, animals, boats, zip lines, food, swimming. Expect hanging bridges, zip lines, animals, and swimming to be a hit with kids. Expect kayak/floats, hot springs to be a hit with adults. Thank you!

1. Do I need to plan to do our driving between destinations in the mornings or is driving these 3 - 4 hour distances easy to do in possibly heavy rain? We will have a rented 4x4. I am trying to insure we have some less rainy morning time to do the things we hope to do in each location, and there will be things to keep us busy in the afternoons (in addition to rainy swims and reading). Many thanks!

2. How does this itinerary look? What would you suggest I do with the two uncommitted days?

Day 0: Arrive San Jose at night

Days 1 and 2: Perhaps some combination of

Serapiqui/Poas/La Paz/Trimina/La Selva?

OR

Head straight to La Fortuna on Day 1 and add time to other destinations below--another day at Guanacaste beach, and another day at Arenal area, perhaps for a Cano Negro visit.

Day 3: Drive to La Fortuna

Day 4: Arenal area

Day 5: Arenal area

Day 6: Drive to Monteverde

Day 7: Monteverde

Day 8: Monteverde

Day 9: Drive to Guanacaste

Day 10: Guanacaste

Day 11: Guanacaste

Day 12: Fly out of Libera in morning

3. Do I need this much time in Monteverde?

4. Will there be enough sun to warrant several days at the beach?

Thank you so much!

1 reply
Navarre, Florida
reviews: 96
1. Re: Need June itinerary tweaking

Just back from areas you will be visiting. Loved it. You must, must have a GPS from Costa Rica car rental. Everything I done by attraction name not by grid coordinate or address. Easy once you get the hang except hardly any Monteverde hotels, etc were in our GPS.

My most important tip is drive so you arrive in Monteverde/Saint Elana in daylight...I cannot emphasize this enough. It is up, up, and up from up on gravel roads. There are no signs and very few landmarks. As they told us when we finally arrived...everyone knows (except us) to arrive before dark.

In La Fortuna area be sure to drive yourself to Venado caves. Easy drive. So worth it. We think it was most fun we had in Costa Rica. Cost only $20 a person and can buy professional cd. See my review. I just posted a lot of reviews. Cano Negro disappointed us somewhat...we did see both types monkeys, camen, Jesus Christ lizard, and some birds through binoculars. You know we just forgot that animals don't lie along the shore except at Epcot and Animal Kingdom. No sloths and nothing up close except camen. I do not think it was worth $70 but that did include bus ride and meal. While in La Fortuna area drive out to Las Iguanas restaurant and grab a cup of café and see the owners attempt to preserve Iguanas. They are amazing and close. Huge and he feeds them.

We wanted to hang out in LaFortuna more. The Catholic church in center of town is worth a peek as it has an interesting painting of Jesus behind/over the alter. We went at night and had no trouble parking our car etc.

I would spend more 2 days in Monteverde because there is a lot to do and you can only do one thing in am and another in afternoon or evening. So if you want to zip...it is really a whole day and then maybe some night walk. Then a coffee/cocoa tour another day...see my point.

By the way, there is a very good Emergency Clinic if you need it. Located near Montana Monteverde Hotel. I got anaphylactic shock from something (we do not know what yet) and they saved me. Bug spray recommended even if you do not feel bites. And, take along benedrly and Claritin. Extremo Canopy was fun and only cost $45 including Superman and Tarzan.

Reply to: Need June itinerary tweaking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted