We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
Safety

Hi there, I have heard from a tour company that Monteverde is not a safe area. Is this correct? I have clients that were told people have had limbs, fingers taken etc. Should my clients go to this area for ziplinning? I am really worried about the safety.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1. Re: Safety

Limbs...Finger taken...? that is really somenthing else...!!

Can you be so kind and give us the name of that Tour Company...that is saying that to you...of course is not correct at all!

I have had been driving and guiding people to Monteverde for well over 35 years...and never ever I heard anything so horrible...and honestly I can guarantee is not true at all!

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 22
2. Re: Safety

We on the forum can not advise you on what you should tell your business clients. Ziplines and canopy tours, like whitewater rafting, canyoning and a zillion other adventure activities always carry some risk. You should do a little research on the safety ratings of zipline companies, wherever they are located and there are ziplines all over Costa Rica. You can read a comparison of the 2 Monteverde zipline companies at monteverdeinfo.com/canopy/costa-rica-canopy.…

Hopefully you don't recommend destinations based on a single activity and there is a lot more to do in Monteverde than check out the ziplines.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Safety

Do you suggest they drive on their own or get drivers? Also is monteverde a must do? they really want to do ziplinning but if they do not have to go to moneteverde for it where else can they do it?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 22
4. Re: Safety

Sorry your questions are just too open-ended given that we know nothing about your clients or their interests. Some visitors are happy driving the steep unpaved roads around Monteverde while others are spooked. In Costa Rica many visitors use a combination of private drivers, shared shuttle services and a rental car for part of the trip depending on where they are staying.

I would not send anyone to visit Monteverde if their only interest there is ziplining. Its a cloudforest area with beautiful reserves for hiking. While they have some of the best ziplines in the country, there are ziplines all over the country to try. The trip to Monteverde is a long drive whether they are traveling from San Jose (3.5 hours), Arenal (3 hours) or a beach destination (4+ hours). They can check travel times at http://www.yourtravelmap.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Safety

Any soft adventure tour involve some risk even death...

For people that love nature...Monteverde is one of our best destinations...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
6. Re: Safety

This is what the tour company is suggesting my clients do: Is this good or can I tweek it?

Dec 29: arrive San Jose stay at hotel bougainvillea

Dec 31: drive to monteverde stay at monteverde lodge, twilight tour,

Jan 1:monteverde cloud forest reserve with local naturalist guide

Jan 2: drive to arenal, stay at arenal naraya, waterfall hike on own

Jan 3: Arenal Hanging Bridges Tour

Jan 4: Free Day

Jan 5: Manuel Antonio- morning drive stay at Si Como No

Jan 6: tour of MA park

Jan 7: surf/ fish/quepos

Jan 8: drive to San Jose to catch flight at 221pm.

San Jose, Costa Rica
7. Re: Safety

Good itinerary...I do not see any think about lims or fingers...but is a good itinerary...

Maybe check for another hotel in Monteverde...some good places...with a lot better location...like...El Establo...Fonda Vella...Poco a Poco...Belmar...Rustic Lodge...small but nice...

The Tree house is also a good option...

Around San Jose Bouganvillea is a lovely place...with some incredible nice food and gardens...

Arenal Nayara...hard to find anything better around Arenal..

Si Como No good option...also..SOUS...Los Altos...Mariposa...Tulemar Bungalows and Buena Vista Villas and Casas...

roadadvisor

New York City, New...
8. Re: Safety

Now after looking at the itineray do you suggest my clients drive on there own or get a private driver?

San Jose, Costa Rica
9. Re: Safety

If they feel like rent a car...good roads and easy to get to places!

Maybe get GPS...

roadadvisor

nebraska
reviews: 57
10. Re: Safety

Availability during the Holiday time will be the issue on where your clients stay.