We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stop in Monteverde

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, Nebraska
reviews: 2
Short stop in Monteverde

I know 24 hours is not enough time but we have decided we are going to stop between going to Arenal and Montezuma.

We made the decision upon realizing that Arenal and Monteverde are very different, and it would be a shame to miss the cloud forest.

In Arenal we will zipline, hike the Hanging Bridges and go to the La Fortuna waterfall. We will also see the waterfall in Montezuma.

I figured we would miss the SAn Luis waterfall in Monteverde, and all the bridges and ziplines. So this leaves us with hiking one afternoon in one of the reserves and then in the other one in the morning before head down to catch the ferry.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any suggestions on other alternatives or must sees? Thanks in advance

Lincoln, Nebraska
1. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

I shoud have specified one hike In Santa Elena reserve and the other one in Monteverde Reserve. I'm guessing Monteverde would be best to visit early in the morning before the crowds.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
2. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

Kind of fast visit...but nice to stay one night around is a great area...if you really like nature...GO FOR IT!

roadadvisor

chicago
3. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

Personally, I don't think the drive to Monteverde is worth it for only 24 hours. Have you considered staying at the Villa Blanca cloud forest hotel in San Ramon instead? You would still get to experience a cloud forest and it would make getting to the ferry much easier the next day.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
4. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

Not a good plan. Just head straight from Arenal to Montezuma. If you plan it right, you can get there in time for some afternoon relaxation.

The roads to/from Monteverde are AWFUL. Painful, scary, miserable. Like driving on a dry riverbed on the side of a sheer cliff with no margin or guard rail. With cows on the road for good measure.

The afternoon is also the least interesting part of the day, so it would be pretty much a complete waste.

Lincoln, Nebraska
5. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

Thanks for the replies. I think we are going to visit. We have a 4x4 rented so we might as well use it. I think we will take our time getting there and enjoy the drive and take in the beauty. We won't plan anything till we do a guided night hike.Do any of the reserves let you arrive early and hike around before the tour?

guanacaste
reviews: 31
6. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park, a nice active volcano.....

should be on your list

7. Re: Short stop in Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, December 17, 2013