We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde in one day

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
reviews: 23
Monteverde in one day

we will drive from Recreo resort near Santa Rosa National park to Monteverde for a day. I will be traveling with my husband and 6 and 8 year for a day. Then we will go back to Recreo. I wanted to take the tour at El Trapiche, see the San Luis waterfall as well as the butterfly and humming bird gallery in one day and then drive back to Recreo before dark. Is this doable?

nebraska
reviews: 57
1. Re: Monteverde in one day

No. It's at least 3 or more hours to Monteverde. The tour El Trapiche is listed as 2 hours. Meal time? Waterfall hike takes a minimum of 1 hr each way from the Research station plus time at the falls.

Gaithersburg...
2. Re: Monteverde in one day

what can we see in one day at Monteverde?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 85
3. Re: Monteverde in one day

Honestly, that sounds like a terrible, terrible idea.

It's about 4-4.5 hours each way. So, you'd pretty much use up all of your daylight hours driving to/from there.

Monteverde is not a day trip from anywhere. It's a minimum two night stay for it to be worth seeing, given its remoteness.

You'd have time to eat lunch and refuel your car. All the animals and birds would be napping and out of sight.

Monteverde is not a 'must-see'--save it for another trip.

Edited: 5:49 pm, August 09, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Monteverde in one day

It is a really a long drive....not worth it less with kids...way to much...and by the time you finish your things around Monteverde...you will wish you can stay...

Agree with others not a place for a one day trip...

roadadvisor

nebraska
reviews: 57
5. Re: Monteverde in one day

Ooops, I think I was too optimistic about the travel time at 3hrs each way to Monteverde. I'm sure Racandee is probably correct.

Roadwarrior & Racandee, what do you think of the tours offered at Hacienda Guachipelin (http://www.guachipelin.com/en/tours.html) ? I think that may be a do able place for what the OP is thinking of.

What do you think? It still would be a long day and I'd at least do 1 overnight.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: Monteverde in one day

Dear Joyceh...

That is a great option ...check Hotel HAcienda Guachipelin by Rincon de la Vieja Volcano...that will be a lot less driving and very much what you are looking for!

roadadvisor

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
7. Re: Monteverde in one day

Couldn't agree more, you'll have a blast at Hacienda Guachipelin. The only thing you may consider is checking their policies for children's ages on tours.

Boca Raton
reviews: 25
8. Re: Monteverde in one day

we just did Guachapelin last weekend..

the ziplining was not as high some of the other areas in CR- but the added rapelling and rock climbing made it overall a great experience...

the tubing was great also..... the horse back riding was very dissapointed as the area itself is not so beautiful( we had done it also at our hotel- Borinquen which had great trails to waterfalls and just an amazing 2000 acres)-- we did not do the mud baths as we had done them at borinquen- but wife did go the ones at Guachepelin instead of tubing( i did it with the 10 and 12 yr old boys)- and she said it was heavan..

you can not compare beauty of the hotel area- but if you want the activities- and you can save a drive- might be worth it..BV

Costa Mesa...
9. Re: Monteverde in one day

That is a great option ...check Hotel HAcienda Guachipelin by Rincon de la Vieja Volcano.

Gaithersburg...
10. Re: Monteverde in one day

ok. We will change our plans and stay one night at Monteverde. We will check out Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin. I can't tell from the posts where it is located, but i'll find out.