We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morristown, New...
reviews: 1
Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

In August, My family will be driving to Arenal and then drving to Monteverde. I have read mixed information about driving the Arenal-Monteverde route. Is it safe and are the roads adequate with a 4 wheel drive? Do these roads wash out frequently?

It seems that having a car would be helpful on the trip.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
1. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

I believe August is rainy season and the last bit of road to monteverde is not paved and very lumpy. I highly recommend 4wd although many do it just fine in a sedan. I don't think there is a gas station yet in monteverde so be sure to fill up in tilaran. this drive is about 3 hours with no stops but there is plenty to stop and see along the way.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 52
2. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

There is a new gas station just outside of Santa Elena, and it was open in August 2011. However things changes fast in Costa Rica so check with local source for updated info. Sonny advice is sound, a ground clearance of a 4x4 vehicle will give you more comfort.

Edited: 8:32 am, July 30, 2012
Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
3. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

There is another option for your visit to Monteverde after Arenal, and it is the taxi/boat/jeep or bus option. This is a tour option offered from the Arenal dam and gives you a nice tour of Lake Arenal http://www.arenal.net/tour/monteverde.htm and you end in Monteverde/Santa Elena.

If in Monteverde you feel the need to have a rental, one can be arranged and delivered to your hotel, or a combination of taxis and shuttles can be used instead.

Have a great holiday.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

You can do it with a regular car...but a lot better with a 4x4 ...nice ride...

I based my answer in my well over 45 years driving around my country...and some times my answers do not match some links...sorry!

roadadv isor

Morristown, New...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

Thanks for the responses. So do we need to get or bring a GPS in the car? Or will we be fine with maps?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

You can do it with maps ...but if you have a GARMIN you can check NAVSAT is a local GPS company with great maps of our country...or just rent a GPS at your rent a car...they used NAVSAT maps as well!

roadadvisor

Asheville, North...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

We will be making this drive..any recommendations of stops or places not to be missed as we travel. Thanks

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
8. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

The Lucky Bug, just after Nuevo Arenal is a great stop for lunch and high end artsy souvenirs. The Macademia Restaurant has good coffee and pastries. There are other shops, restaurants and a few galleries as well. Other than that, just keep your camera ready and eyes peeled as it is a scenic and beautiful drive.

9. Re: Driving from Arenal to Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 19, 2013