We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal and Monteverde

Which Monteverde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ulster County, New...
reviews: 20
Arenal and Monteverde

Can I stay in 1 location (Arenal or Monteverde) and see both places reasonably well? I would prefer to stay in 1 spot for 3 or 4 nights, rather than 2 and 2. But, I don't want to spend all day traveling back and forth. They look to be pretty close together, but you never can tell, unless you've been there and sometimes a 20-mile drive can take a very long time. Thanks for the recommendations.

La Fortuna de San...
Destination Expert
for La Fortuna de San Carlos
reviews: 7
1. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

They are only about 25 kms apart as the crow flies, but about 3 hours (each way) apart in travel time. The best way to travel between the two is via taxi-boat-taxi, which is organized by local tour operators. As the name implies, you are driven to the lake, take a boat across and then driven the rest of the way. You can do a day trip, but that is a lot of traveling in a one day period.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

The best is an overnight stay...two and two really make sense...of course depends...if you like more soft adventure tours maybe Arenal...more hikes...nature...Monteverde!

roadadvisor

NY
reviews: 65
3. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

I agree with the last 2 posts. We spent 2 nights in both locations and it worked well. There is a morning transport to Monteverde so you should have almost 2 full days there.

The Springs Resort and Spa in Arenal and Hidden Valley Night tour in Monteverde were great experiences.

Have a great trip.

travelus73

4. Re: Arenal and Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 28, 2013