We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out in west bay

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Guelph, Canada
eating out in west bay

Hi, we're going to IB mid-March. Can anyone tell us what the food is like at IB and any recommendations for eating out? Couple of decent bars as well

Saint Paul...
reviews: 2
1. Re: eating out in west bay

You'll mostly find mediocre bar food; we found the Thirsty Turtle to be the most fun at night. On our last evening (just last week!) we went to the Vintage Pearl which is tucked just off the beach...it was more upscale than other places we'd been, but it was fabulous! Just make sure you make a reservation.

New Jersey
reviews: 12
2. Re: eating out in west bay

I only went to the buffet once for breakfast and once for dinner and found the food there great. If you are going AI then you will have most of your meals there.

The food at the beach bar has some good food and some okay food. I actually enjoyed the pizza I had and everyone seemed to like the burgers. Wings were maybe the biggest waste of money I spent there. I had only one real sit down dinner at the "la Palapa"..is was okay but not memorable.

Edited: 4:18 pm, February 09, 2013
Stoney Creek, Canada
3. Re: eating out in west bay

The Argentinian on west bay beach was one of the best strip loin steaks I have had and I am a steak lover I will go back for sure it was a great dinner 2 dinners and a great bottle of wine was $ 68 plus tip . Thirsty turtle has great did I say great coconut shrimp I have been to bvi toronto and thirst turtle are better foster has a special 2 lobster tail and sides for $11.95 can't beat that So if you have traveled at all this food is reasonable and fresh and good I have done bvi spanish and us islands and it was so so expensive for meals and not very good quality 16 for. Hamburger 45 for a rib dinner so Roatan is for me is great food for a reasonable price just ask around when you get ther also Celeste was a great little place I hope this helps

Roatan
reviews: 11
4. Re: eating out in west bay

We like eating at Beachers. Their specials are usually $10 and very good and everyone raves about the coconut shrimp! Go there on Sat. night when Brion James and the West End Players are playing. You will have a blast. We were there last night and it was one rocking place!!!! Had such a good time.

Kitchener
reviews: 3
5. Re: eating out in west bay

Our best meal was at Bite on the Beach. Very good prices, good selection of well done food & the eels in the water beside the patio put on a show. Would highly recommend. Argentinian Grill good too for steak if that's your thing & very nice wine selection, but a bit more money. Casual lunches most people seemed to go to The Thirsty Turtle for nachos, bean dips, coconut shrimp, etc. Heard people rave about Vintage Pearl (but expensive) and all of the above are right on West Bay beach. Met a couple going there for years & they always make a point to go to a place called Gio's (by taxi) and say its great prices, great food.

Guelph, Canada
6. Re: eating out in west bay

Hey thanks for all the responses. We're going mid March and Its our first time to Roatan so any tips for good bars at night? Don't want party central, just looking for decent places we can meet other people, share a drink and kick back. Cheers

Minneapolis...
reviews: 91
7. Re: eating out in west bay

Our go-to bar and lunch spot is Bananarama. It is pretty central to the beach and has a good vibe...

Chilliwack, Canada
reviews: 7
8. Re: eating out in west bay

Jimmi:

Thanks for the heads up about Brion James. I was wondering if we would get to see him and the band when we are down there late April and first part of May.

When we were staying on West Bay last year, we heard them playing as we were walking back from dinner at Bite on the Beach. They were playing a U2 song and from a distance it sounded exactly like Bono :) so we stopped in for a drink and caught the last of the set.

Hubby and I ate at Thirsty Turtle a lot! I just love their Caesar Salad and he ate about a ton of their Coconut shrimp over a two week period LOL!

We didn't enjoy our meal at Vintage Pearl ( we had the lamb and it was pretty tasteless) so for the prices they charge we are reluctant to try it again. Guess we're in the minority.

I think we'll definitely check out Argentinian Grill though!

We are also hoping that Smugglers will reopen by the time we go. We loved the old location and the food was awesome!

Edited: 3:24 pm, February 10, 2013
Minneapolis...
reviews: 91
9. Re: eating out in west bay

I don't think you are really in a minority about Vintage Pearl, judyper. I think most tourists staying on Roatan appreciate the feeling that it is kind of a bargain location - great beauty, not a lot of fancy-schmanzy. Vintage Pearl has positioned themselves as "the" upscale restaurant with a good wine list in West Bay. We went there in 2010 for Valentine's Day and we had a very good meal for a celebration...

But when you are charging upscale prices, a not-so-good meal that you'd just write off at a regular joint becomes an irritant at an expensive one... so there are lots of folks who don't return to Vintage Pearl.

Does sound like Argentinian Grill will give them a run... pretty positive remarks and mention of a good wine list.

Nobody has mentioned Celeste's yet. Celeste's - when I first started reading about her establishment - was a roadside stand selling baleadas. Word of mouth was that her baleadas were a cut above the inexpensive ones in local joints... and she frequently sold out. This lead to an actual restaurant and the ever-popular experience of having the parrots around you and perhaps having one taking from your mouth (only happens if you want to do this for the photo) or, in my case, preening my beard.

I think the baleada lunch prices are little high, but Idiot She loves the lobster baleada and still recommends the place. We've never done dinner, but lots of folks seem to like West Bay Lodge (which backs the restaurant) and really like the dinner's produced by Celeste's.

Chilliwack, Canada
reviews: 7
10. Re: eating out in west bay

idiotsabroad:

I hadn't read too many negatives from others who for one reason or another weren't impressed with Vintage Pearl. I thought it was just us LOL! We are not foodies by any stretch but I was born and raised in the UK where lamb was (at one time) affordable and I have eaten my fair share over the years. They do have an extensive wine list but much of it is quite expensive.

A place I often forget to mention and which we enjoyed is the Blue Parrot in Sandy Bay. They have sort of an eclectic mix of Jamaican food (the owner is from JA) , seafood, burgers, chicken etc. We bought our driver dinner and he ordered a burger, fries and soda and came to find out that he is burger crazy. He said it was one of the best he had tasted since he came to live on the island from the mainland. The prices were very reasonable, in fact the cab was about the same price as the meal sans the wine LOL!

Edited: 5:58 pm, February 10, 2013