We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going Down End of January???

Which West Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa . ontario...
Going Down End of January???

Hello Trip Advisors,

I love to Snorkel and Just Recieved my Open Water Certificate for Diving.

Do you need a wet suit for Diving or Snorkeling or a Half Suit, how is the water Temp at that time of year?

Thanks for the Help!

Bobby :)

Roatan, Honduras
1. Re: Going Down End of January???

Surface temps will be around 80F. Only you know how chilled you get , Some dve in bathing suit, some in full 5m suit, It's kind of like asking how hungry you will be when you get here, everyone is different

menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
2. Re: Going Down End of January???

81 degrees, just like most of the caribbean in winter. I don't use a wet suit and I'm in the water maybe 5 hours a day. I wear a tee shirt tucked in to protect from the BC. Almost everyone else, like 80% of divers and all the dive masters, wear a wet suit. I was down last September and it was 84, and it hardly refreshed you to jump in the water. The 81 degree reading pretty much prevails at all intermediate diver depths, although on occasion you will find a pocket of 79 water.

As you know wearing wet suit does complicate your dive, requiring that you carry more weight to compensate for its surface buoyancy, and then requiring you to make more frequent buoyancy adjustments because it compresses as you go deep. And as you surface and the wet suit expands making you more buoyant, you have to be careful not to ascend too rapidly. So for this and because I just like the feeling of water on my skin, I just skip the wet suit. Any rental place will just assume you want a wet suit, and you may not be able to save any money by not renting one. I also find that after a dive, I can dry off and be warmer on the boat than those still in their damp slimy wet suits.

Congratulations on becoming certified. I know you will love Roatan because everyone does.

menlo park, ca
reviews: 66
3. Re: Going Down End of January???

Bobby, one more thing. Skip the west suit and get your self a good dive computer and learn to use it. It will make your diving even more fun and safer. You probably won't find any occasion in Roatan to dive without a dive master, but when you do you will have to have a computer to dive safely. Suunto is a very popular brand.

4. Re: Going Down End of January???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, October 05, 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 1
5. Re: Going Down End of January???

I did 20 or so dives last February and a similar number the Feb before. The water temp is usually close to 27 degrees, and for me, I'm quite comfortable in a shortie wetsuit but most people wear a wetsuit with full legs and sleeves.

6. Re: Going Down End of January???

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Edited: 10:05 am, October 05, 2012
Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 1
7. Re: Going Down End of January???

Well, at least my comment had "little" value, as yours had no value at all. You did take me by surprise though, I was expecting an outburst on the 27 degree bit, as you really struggled with celcius in the Bluehouseguy days. As I could see Ottawabob was a fellow Canadian, I knew that the 80F temperature would be meaningless to him, so i did include the celcius readings that I was seeing on my dive days there last winter.

8. Re: Going Down End of January???

Minneapolis...
reviews: 100
9. Re: Going Down End of January???

Ottowabob - I see you are a TA regular but new to our happy little family here on the Roatan forum. Welcome!

As you can see, we have a troll on our forum. He is pretty harmless. Best bet is to ignore him... please don't feed the troll!

Hope you don't mind some chaff along with the valuable kernels you received from two of our regular diver types who gave you the kind of answers I'd be looking for in your (diver's) boots...

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 12
10. Re: Going Down End of January???

In February we find the 3ml shorty wetsuit very comfortable - probably helped by the 'natural insulation' that we both carry ;-). I notice that most dive masters wear long suits or farmer john's. I always take a rash guard for snorkeling as you get so intent and forget about the amount of time with the sun on your back and shoulders. Have seen some very painful looking snorkeler's sun burns.

Get answers to your questions about West Bay