We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Madeira

Which Estreito da Calheta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Christmas in Madeira

Hi

We are arriving in Madeira on Christmas Eve about 5pm. We are staying near Calheta. Does anyone know if any supermarkets/shops will be open? Is there a petrol station/garage with a supermarket? When do all the shops open again?

By the way, while I'm here, is there anything in Madeira that we shouldn't miss over the Christmas and New Year period - it all looks amazing but I am baffled by the amount of stuff to do, walking etc.

4 replies to this topic
London
reviews: 5
1. Re: Christmas in Madeira

I think the Pingo Doce supermarket near the Calheta marina will be open until 8 or 9pm. The shops attached to petrol stations in Madeira tend to be very minimal and I doubt that they would generally be any good for groceries, milk etc.

The nearest petrol station is in Estrela but this may not be open. The newly opened BP petrol station on the main road roundabout on the Ponta de Sol turn off would be your best option and would probably be your best bet for a small amount of items. You will pass the BP petrol station on your journey to Calheta from the airport but for a proper supermarket the Pingo Doce is what you need.

Funchal, Madeira
reviews: 3
2. Re: Christmas in Madeira

Well, you know about the New Year's Eve fireworks in Funchal; don't you?

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 32
3. Re: Christmas in Madeira

You are a way from the main area, but don't miss the lights in Funchal. If you are driving it will take about 20-30 minutes to Funchal. There is a supermarket in Calheta, opposite the Calheta Beach Hotel. There will be no bus services or shops open on Christmas Day or New Year's day.

This site gives more info about Christmas activities

www.visitmomadeira.pt

Norwich, United...
4. Re: Christmas in Madeira

Thank you very much for the info - sounds like the big supermarket is our best bet!

Reply to: Christmas in Madeira
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Estreito da Calheta
More Estreito da Calheta Topics