We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice on family place to stay

Which Espanola hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Ontario
need advice on family place to stay

We are a family of 5 coming to the area to visit family in Sudbury. Sudbury is all booked up with Summer Games so we are looking for an alternative. Basic is fine. Would camp but don't want to tent it. Rental cabin or trailer or cottage would do. Motels as well. Just for 2-3 days. Any recommendations appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 50
1. Re: need advice on family place to stay

Hi Maryljoe,

Welcome to the ESPANOLA TRAVEL FORUM.

I see by your posting numbers that you are fairly new to TripAdvisor… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !

First Question… have you tried the HOTEL REVIEWS Section here on TA (just click on the ESPANOLA HOTELS button). There are 3 Hotels listed as of today… not many, but then again Espanola is sort of out in the middle of nowhere… and offers only a few services (many of them seasonal)… so we usually advise Travellers thru Northern Ontario to aim for the bigger centres of North BaySudbury – Sault Ste Marie.

According to TA’s current Hotel Rankings (as of Friday, July 16, 2010 at just after 2 PM EDT)… the 3 properties ranked as follows…

# 1 – CLEAR LAKE INN with one Review it has a 4 HOOTS Satisfaction Rating from the TA Member who reviewed it back in September 2009*

# 2 – QUEENSWAY MOTEL with two Reviews has a 2-1/2 HOOTS Satisfaction Rating and was last reviewed on May 23, 2010

# 3 – MARCHALL’S MOTEL – Although listed, it as of yet has not been Reviewed by any TA Members.

From reading thru them… Clear Lake Inn definitely seems like a much better property… I used GOOGLE TRANSLATE to translate the comments made by TA Member FIESERFRISE back in September 2009… and here is that info for you…

<< Sehr Empfehlenswert - Da Motel liegt etwas außerhalb am Clear Lake. Es schein schon etwas älter, ist aber voll in Ordnung. Sehr nettes und unkompliziertes Personal. Unser Raum (No.3) war groß und mit einer Küche ausgestattet. Einige Getränkeautomaten stehen vor der Tür.

Der See liegt direkt nebenan und hat einige Bänke am Strand. Auf dem Highway 6 ist nachts kaum Verkehr. >>

Which says…

<< Very Recommended – Since the motel is located just outside Clear Lake. It apparently somewhat older, but is fully in order. Very nice and uncomplicated staff. Our room (No. 3) was large and equipped with a kitchen. Some vending machines are available at the door. The lake is located next door and has some benches on the beach. On Highway 6 is hardly any traffic at night. >>

Besides these Reviews you can always GOOGLE the Hotel Names and see if there are any other entries for them on the Internet.

As we have no TA Destination Expert for this area… and I can’t recall anyone who lives in Espanola and contributes to the ONTARIO TRAVEL FORUMS, you pretty much will have to make do with whatever info you find by utilizing other on-line sources.

I myself haven’t been thru the area in quite some time… but I do recall that Espanola only offered “some” basic services… whereas nearby Sudbury has a huge assortment (too bad everything is full up) which of course begs the Question… is there anywhere your relatives could come thru and put you up for the night if you are stuck?

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 2:57 pm, July 16, 2010
2. Re: need advice on family place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 am, January 13, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Espanola