We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanai' A Nalu

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Point...
Kanai' A Nalu

Hi -

Hubby & I are planning our 1st trip to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary in the middle of September, and are interested in a unit at Kanai' A Nalu. I have read about the cane burning and the wind, and would like to know how much stock to put into what I am reading.

1. When do they usually burn, how bad does it get and how long does it last? My parents live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon where they burn the hay fields every year. It gets so bad you almost can't see across the street for all the smoke.

2. I realize that "windy" is a relative term, but are we talking breezy or does the sand sting when it hits you?

Any other information about ANYTHING that the AWESOME contributors to this forum can add would be greatly appreciated. We are on a somewhat tight budget - but don't want to ruin a once in a lifetime vacation either.

Thank You

jackie

4 replies to this topic
Klamath Falls, OR
reviews: 12
1. Re: Kanai' A Nalu

My family has stayed in Maalaea twice in November and December. We enjoyed that area very much, it is a convient location and very budget friendly. Lots of spots on Maui are breezy and Maalaea was not significatly windier then other spots when we were there. We did wake one morning to lots of black ash on our rental car and in the pool from the cane fields being burned, but the pool was cleaned immediately and a rain shower took care of the car. Have fun planning your trip and even more fun when you get there.

oregon
reviews: 8
2. Re: Kanai' A Nalu

we stayed there on our first trip to Maui in the early 90's, the condo was very nice and comfy, but yes it was really windy and not good swimming at the beach right there. I don't remember if they burned cane, but when I drive through that area in Maui during cane burning it bothers my lungs, much like the burning in the Wilammette Valley. So if that doesn't bother you you should be fine, but if it bothers you you might want to stay elsewhere. I also recall that there was some sand stinging wind in Maaelea, but that has also happened in Kihei on some summer afternoons. We have stayed next to swimming beaches ( in Kihei, Wailea, or Napili) since that first trip because we like to be able to go swimming right when we get up before breakfast, and the price difference isn't enough to make it worth it to stay in Maalea. Its a good way to see both south and west of Maui, though. You will stilll have a great time if you stay there, nice property.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
3. Re: Kanai' A Nalu

Kanai a Nalu is one of my favorite places to stay on Maui; I've stayed there 5 times.

One of my big fears each time was that the dreaded cane harvest would be taking place.

Alas, one May a couple of years ago my luck ran out. First, they no longer burn the cane in the nearby field(s). They cut it with machines and then turn the soil. The problem is dust...not ashes. I was amazed at how quickly and thoroughly the marvelous caretakers at KaN cleaned everything up! The dust only impacted one day of our stay. We kept the lanai door closed, which wasn't a problem because the units have A/C. The lawn and pool area was protected by the building and was clean and usable at all times. If there is ash it is likely from VOG carried over from the Big Island. Rarely a problem in Maalaea unless the winds die off completely.

We enjoy swimming in the ocean right in front ot the complex where wave action is usually light. There are a few rocks, but most of the time the water is clear enough to see and avoid them. We have been there, also, when the waves were stronger and local surfers turned up to put on a good show. There are prettier tropical beaches a short drive away (my favorites are in So, Kihei).

We lay out on the huge lawn area so there is no stinging sand if the wind kicks up. The heated pool is a lovely alternative to the ocean. The view from our lawn chairs are unsurpassed...about 3 ft from the ocean. We enjoy watching the boats come and go from Maalaea Harbor. Mornings are calm; wind picks up mid day. You might welcome strong breezes in September, which is a hot and humid month.

One negative is that the surrounding area (and most of So. Maui) is dry...not green and tropical except on the manicured grounds of condos and hotels. Just look at the ocean instead!

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 8
4. Re: Kanai' A Nalu

I have stayed at the Kanai' A Nula every year for the past three years and am booked in for 15 days coming up in June. Every year we shop around and look at other places but keep coming back and booking here because the rates are so good and the owners we deal with are awesome. The building is older but it is very clean and tidy and in good repair with free parking. The grounds and the heated pool are kept pristine and are just beautiful with many types of flowers etc. The units are all the same two bedroom two bathroom units separated from the other units by concrete block wall so they are very quiet. I like the fact that they all have washer and dryer in the unit so I can pack light and just do some laundry or dry wet towels after swimming not big fan of sitting in a laundry room plugging the machine with quarters and waiting for my stuff. The beach out front is not the best for swimming more snorkeling as there is a lot of reef down much of the beach but there is a few clear spots along the beach that are clear for swimming. The beach for walking cannot be beat it is very long and usually deserted each time we head out for our daily long walk. It is very central so getting to other places on the island is very easy and since we spend a lot time exploring the island it works out very well. I know a lot of people say it is windy in Maalaea which it is but the whole island is fairly windy most of the time so it does not really bother me. We have never had an issue with Sugar Cane being burnt or harvested anytime we have visited so cannot comment on that. I really like they have a designated car wash stall so I can clean up the rental car before heading back to the airport to drop off the car. I have stayed in many other places in Maui and have been disappointed with paper thin walls between units and coach roaches all over the place stuff like that. You will get a better deal dealing directly with an owner through VRBO rather than going through the management company and some units are better than others depending on what the owners have done for renovations.

Reply to: Kanai' A Nalu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted