We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chapel Hill, North...
Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Going to Maui Feb. 26. We visited in 2011 and went on a Trilogy whale watching cruise out of Lahaina. We loved it! This time, we'd like to take two cruises and heard there's good watching of Maalaea. (And the cruise ship crowds are lighter.) We went on an early cruise out of Lahaina because we heard the waves were calmer then. I see that the only trips out of Maalaea are at 2:30 PM. What will the seas be like then?

(I'm not that worried about seasickness but I have MS and use a walker so, the less chop, the better.)

Edited: 3:53 pm, January 15, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 14
1. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Tell us where you are staying ...

Cruise ship crowds? Why would you be concerned about cruise ship crowds? There are few cruise ships that do the trans-Pacific leg to Hawaii ... and the Pride of America (weekly cruise) docks on the other side of the Island in Kahului. Some come over to the west side ... but not a big deal. If you really need to know, we can find out who is in port.

If you enjoyed your trip with Trilogy - do it again. The water is generally calmer in the morning, that is true.

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 8
2. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Here's the tentative cruise ship schedule for Lahaina:

hawaii.gov/dlnr/…mauicruise13.pdf

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
3. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Personally I would take the tour out of Lahaina. The winds do pick up in the afternoons in Maalaea and can produce some good chop. I wouldn't go out of Maalaea for a boat tour anytime after 12:00 noon.

Chapel Hill, North...
4. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Thanks all. I did get info on the cruise ship schedule in response to another post. When we were there on 2011, there were considerable crowds and an especially difficult time parking on "ship day." (There are a couple of handicapped spots by the courthouse and, getting there *very* early, we were able to grab one. A woman directing traffic told us we couldn't park there on "ship day" because the cabs were getting people from the ship but a cop gave us the "go ahead.")

I'd heard there was a better chance of seeing moms with calves off Maalaea but, if the only trip is at 2:30 and the water gets rough, we'll go to Lahaina.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 12
5. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Jim, Momma whales with calves will be seen everywhere! I too would not do an afternoon watch out of Maalaea.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 14
6. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Jim - good to hear of your experiences. Some folks who post here have a mental picture of "cruise ship" days -- like in the Caribbean or Mexico or Alaska ... conga lines of ships. That doesn't happen in Hawaii, but for a small port like Lahaina, you will see the impact of one ship in a rather small area. I guess it's all relative!

Philadelphia, PA
reviews: 8
7. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Jim, there are two handicap spots at the lighthouse, and you can park on Wharf St. at the library on Sunday and Monday when it's closed.

Yep, plenty of moms & calves between Maui-Lana'i-Moloka'i at that time.

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 69
8. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

The afternoon departures from Maalaea are usually windy and rough.

Check the cruise ship schedule for Lahaina Harbor and pick another day for the whale watch. A late afternoon/sunset departure can be beautiful.

There are still the handicap parking spots on Wharf Street in front of the Courthouse and also one across the street by the public restroom building.

If those are full go around the block and turn right on Wharf and right again to

catch the handicapped spot at the library. Handicapped parking does not have duration restrictions.

Yes a cruise ship does engulf the little Lahaina Harbor and closes access to the loading dock. Many cruisers prebook bus tours and car rentals so lots of the buses and shuttles are in the area in the early morning and late afternoon.

Chapel Hill, North...
9. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

Once again, thanks all!

Saint Louis...
reviews: 16
10. Re: Trilogy out of Maalaea or Lahaina?

We will be in west Maui from September 6-16. Where can I find the cruise ship schedule during that time so I can avoid the other tourists?