We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maalaea Banyans vs. Island Sands

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
Maalaea Banyans vs. Island Sands

My husband and I are coming to Maui in Jan 2014. At first I was looking in the Kaanapalli Napili area but we've decided that we'd rather spend less on accomodations and more on golf lol. My only real must haves are to be on the ocean and that the complex has a pool. Beach in front of condo is not required as we'll be renting a car and have no trouble with driving to to beaches. I've been looking at condos in Maalaea particularly Island Sands and Maalaea Banyans and was hoping someone could chime in with opinions on either one. Thanks!!

3 replies to this topic
Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 51
1. Re: Maalaea Banyans vs. Island Sands

We are currently staying at Maalaea Banyan.All units face the ocean and have a wonderful view. It has a pool and hot tub. 2 gas grills. Each one is individually owned. We found ours on vrbo and homeaway. We are very happy with it. It is next door to Island sands.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
2. Re: Maalaea Banyans vs. Island Sands

I would happily stay at either complex and researched units at both for my upcoming trip. I would give a slight edge to Maalaea Banyans for the superior grounds and views from the lanai.

At Island Sands the lanais have a solid concrete half-wall in front. At Banyans they are the more open iron railing style which allows for better ocean views from both inside and outside the unit. The island Sands building is curved; some units do not have as direct an ocean view as those from the rectangular Banyans building where all units are pointed directly at the ocean. That said, Banyan units are pretty small, at around 550 sq ft for the 1 bedroom. If space is important, Island Sands 1 bedroom units are closer to 650 sq ft.

Kitchener, Canada
3. Re: Maalaea Banyans vs. Island Sands

Hi Chrissy,

We are just leaving the Hono Kai resort complex a few buildings up from those 2. Second last complex at the end. We stayed in C-1 with an AWESOME view of the water( If you click on beachfront, I believe the second condo listed is the one I stayed at. It has double height floor to ceiling windows, breathtaking views!!). I found it on VRBO, biut if you want to look at all the listings the condo has, go to Igomauivacationrentals.

The area is a nice jumping off point to go everywhere on the island.

Enjoy!!

Anetta

Reply to: Maalaea Banyans vs. Island Sands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted