We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Good Place to Stay??

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 5
A Good Place to Stay??

Hi everyone!

I was first considering staying at the Honua Kai since we have a 1 year old, but after looking around, it's hard to imagine not going for an ocean front condo/house for the same price as a place at Honua Kai with no real good view (a lot of the mountain views overlook a parking lot). Plus I hear that the wind on the west side is ridiculously strong compared to the south side.

I am wondering 1) if Maalaea is a good place to stay for a family with a young child. 2) whether anyone has stayed at the Makani A Kai Resort Complex. In particular I am looking at #B4.

We'll be heading over there end of Jan so if you know of any other terrific areas we should check out please let me know! THANK YOU!!

8 replies to this topic
Chicagoland
1. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

I prefer South Kihei to Maalaea -- less wind, great beaches (Three Kamaole Beach Parks), near upscale Wailea (and all of *its'* great beaches), near restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Maalaea is kind of 'out there' by itself except for the harbor.

I also prefer low-rise, low-density condos to elevator buildings.

This site has well-vetted condos in South Maui: www.mauiownercondos.com

You're coming at a very popular time of year. Do you have your rental car reserved?

San Francisco...
2. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

Thanks so much for your response ChiSue! Yes we got our rental car reserved already through Hawaiian Airlines. Maybe I should just double check on that to be sure they got our reservation in.

Do you know how far Maalaea is to South Kihei? It seems that all the good places we want to rent in South Kihei is already booked up. Thank you!

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Waikiki
reviews: 75
3. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

There are pockets of wind in West Maui and Honua Kai is in one but so is Maalaea. The Aquarium in Maalaea even has windmills to make energy from the wind.

Agree withChiSue South Maui, South Kaanapali have less wind.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
4. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

Makani a Kai does not have elevators and I believe that unit is on the 2nd floor. I don't like carrying luggage and groceries up and down stairs...to say nothing of a 1 year old child . Might not be an issue for you. I've looked at that unit before; very nice. Do any of you play the piano?

I stay in Maalaea frequently; the reputation for wind is well-deserved. Makani a Kai is the last condo complex on the road. It does have a sandy beachfront and the park next door. Might be noise issues from the park depending how close the unit is.

If you can find something within your budget in So. Kihei I would agree with others that it would probably be a better choice. That's where we stayed when our kids were younger. Better sand quality for building sandcastles and the water has a more gradual dropoff than at Maalaea. The drive from Maalaea to So Kihei beaches is about 20-25 minutes.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
5. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

Aloha,

The wind in Maui varies............but the myth that the West side is "terrible" is just like the myth that it's awful all winter. It's not. The resorts would have been shuttered looooong ago if it were true. In reality, the wind comes up much earlier in the day most of the time down in South Maui.

I'd look at condos at Maui Kaanapali Villas, maybe the Maui Eldorado, the Maui Kai, even Papakea, the Mahana. The last two don't sit on as good a beach strip, but they are wonderful oceanfront locations.

San Francisco...
6. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

Thank you so much for the tips!!

Ontario
reviews: 2
7. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

My hubby and I just returned from Maui. We stayed at Makani A Kai Unit B4. The manager/concierge that looks after this and several other units is Stephanie Stark. This is the second time we have stayed in Maalaea. The condo we were in was beautiful. Extremely well decorated and right on the beach. All the amenities a person could want are included from a washer and dryer in the unit to beach gear. We are very picky about where we stay. Accommodations have to be 5+* and this place was it. The beach was 3 miles of wonderful sand that is great for families. A great pastime is watching the whales and their babies breach in the bay. The pool is lovely but to be honest with a beach like this we were only in it half a dozen times. The grounds are beautiful with tropical flowers everywhere. Stephanie has great ideas for excursions and many tips for everything from sight seeing to money saving grocery shopping. She is a wealth of information and a lovely person. We have never found a problem with wind. The trade winds are refreshing and we enjoy them while we are laying out at the beach. We heard that this year was the rainiest year on Maui in over 20 years. In 23 days we had 1 day of full rain and 3 or 4 days that it rained for a bit in the morning but we were out on the beach by 1pm. That's a great opportunity to shop and snoop around the island.

This is without a doubt the nicest condo we have rented and we had a blast. There's nothing like going to sleep to the sound of waves washing up on the beach. We have already booked March 2016 in Makani A Kai B4 for our next vacation. Please email me if you have any questions.

Lisa G

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
reviews: 6
8. Re: A Good Place to Stay??

The OP was asking in 2012.................long, long gone.

Reply to: A Good Place to Stay??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted