We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

We are looking at 4th floor lovely 2 bdrm condo in Maalea Kai or 2nd floor 3 bedroom condo at Lauloa.

What we care about, in order of preference:

1. View, view, view, both from master bdrm and lanai

2. Hear the ocean in condo

3. Access to beach and swim

4. Privacy, not in view of others much from lanai

Hard to see the view from Lauloa condo photos, but I've been reading it is beautiful. And I understand there are stairs there to access water? Thanks for any input!

Alaska
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
10 reviews
11. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Barbara.... We walked Sugar Beach this morning from the sanctuary to as far as we could walk past Haycraft Beach. The waves were bigger than we've ever seen along this beach so we couldn't walk past the "private party" rock wall, with a vacant lot. Waves have been big everywhere, but we usually visit at the end of March into April.

Po'olenalena Beach is just past Wailea Golf Club. You go down the long hill and after the club you will see yellow gates they can close. The parking lot is fairly big and pothole pavement. I believe they may even have a sign.... I discovered it is great for walking and if I was a bigger spender, I'd love to stay at the property to the left of the beach when looking at the ocean. I've been meaning to give you this info for days now and finally remembered on the lanai, during sunset coffee time! Deb

South Haven...
Level Contributor
190 posts
22 reviews
12. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

We have stayed t Lau loa 3 times & Malaea Kai twice.

Lau loa is our fav. because the lanai's are bigger.

What units are you looking at or booked?. Only one got a thumbs down from us. It was dirty & cheap furniture.

The park at the end of the road is great only a 5-10 min. walk.

We are lanai people, we go in Feb. & love love love the whales & not hearing ny traffic. All of the lanai's in Lauloa have a great view. Maalaia Kai is at a slight angle toward Keihi. So which unit is important. Lau loa"s lanai's extend the full length of the condo.sos there is a sliding door off the master bedroom. Big plus for us.

Also important to consider. Some units have very cheap lanai furniture. Plastic wallmart junk. We spend all of our condo time on the lanai so we look for good furniture preferably high bistro chairs so we can see over the rails easily. We don't consider 1st floor units since the view is not good at all for whale watching.

We will be there this Feb. Staying in Maalaea Kia since our fav. Lu loa units were not avilble. Maalaea is our next best.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
217 posts
2 reviews
13. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Hi! I'm just getting ready to sign out for the night, but Lauloa is mentioned so rarely on the fourm . . . and I think it's GREAT and should be talked about, so just had to add my two cents!!!! We've been there twice in the last two summers and it's felt lovely and very private for us. Also, we could hear the ocean day and night; how wonderful is that feature??! I bet in February, it would seem as if the whales were right at your lanai! The wind is actually an advantage because even in the summer, we didn't have to turn on the A/C. Those tradewinds kept us cool!

Finally, the central location of Ma'alaea is a big plus. You're never a very far drive from any place on Maui.

I know you'll have a wonderful vacation and hope that you especially enjoy the peace, quiet and special charm of Lauloa!

14. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 14, 2014