We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 14
Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

We are looking at 4th floor lovely 2 bdrm condo in Maalea Kai or 2nd floor 3 bedroom condo at Lauloa.

What we care about, in order of preference:

1. View, view, view, both from master bdrm and lanai

2. Hear the ocean in condo

3. Access to beach and swim

4. Privacy, not in view of others much from lanai

Hard to see the view from Lauloa condo photos, but I've been reading it is beautiful. And I understand there are stairs there to access water? Thanks for any input!

Chicagoland
1. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

You are aware that this is a windy area and that swimming beaches are a drive away -- nearest in South Kihei...?

Edited: 10:49 am, September 29, 2012
Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 22
2. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Have stayed at Lauloa and walked through Maalaea Kai.

Views at Lauloa were outstanding. Large, double lanai across living room and master bedroom. Whale watching should be amazing in February.

Grounds and pool much nicer at Maalaea Kai, if that matters.

Because of the spacious grounds, Maalaea Kai sits a few feet farther back from the ocean than Lauloa. Should still be great views.

There is not a sandy beach at either complex. Yes, there are stairs to the ocean at Lauloa. They are used by divers and by folks who fish off the rocks. There is a beach and ocean swimming at the end of the road, at Haycraft Park. Best in the less windy morning or late afternoon hours.

From either complex there will be lots of activity to watch in Maalaea Bay: boats coming and going from the harbor, aforementioned whales and fishermen, and...if shore break is right..some exciting surfing.

Milwaukie, Oregon
3. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

P.S. If units were equal quality, I would pick Maalaea Kai for the superior lawn and pool area. Lots of lounge chairs for a front row seat of the view. I found this lacking at Lauloa. There is one bench at the ocean's edge; other seating is all inside the fenced pool area.

If you plan to stay on the lanai most of the time, however, Lauloa would probably be slightly better.

Los Angeles
4. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Thank you so much, this is actually very helpful! I think we are Lanai people more than sitting by the pool people. Probably we will take a chance and go with Lauloa this time. Mahalo and aloha!

I will also try to remember to write a report after we get back to help someone else in a similar quandary. Any other recommendations for great snorkeling would be appreciated, as that will be a key Activity for us, besides hanging out on the lanai! We are also hoping to discover some beautiful waterfall hikes in case anybody has any recommendations… Thanks so much!

Los Angeles
5. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Thank you so much, this is actually very helpful! I think we are Lanai people more than sitting by the pool people. Probably we will take a chance and go with Lauloa this time. Mahalo and aloha!

I will also try to remember to write a report after we get back to help someone else in a similar quandary. Any other recommendations for great snorkeling would be appreciated, as that will be a key Activity for us, besides hanging out on the lanai! We are also hoping to discover some beautiful waterfall hikes in case anybody has any recommendations… Thanks so much!

anchorage
reviews: 6
6. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

We have stayed in north Kihei many times and are here right now for two weeks, at Koa Lagoon. We just drove home from Lahaina and I swung into the Ma'aleea Harbor Road to cruise through and check out places I read about all the time on TA.

We got to the road that says Dead End and drove down it......WOW, that's where all these great priced condos with views close to Sugar Beach have been all the time. We just never turned down that awesome quiet road! We literally drove past both of your choices to the end of the road (very close) to where Haycraft Park is located. We want to check out that park cause it looked pretty busy an hour ago on a Saturday.

We were impressed with how unbusy the road was and you're smart to value Barbara's opinion. The lanai is major for us too, cause we spend more time at the beach than the pool. But lovely grounds are a big plus. You know, once you pick out your rental, the fun part begins.....planning the fun!

We leisurely drove down Kihei Road this morning, from north Kihei, and we got to Po'olenalena Beach in under 12 minutes. We drive slow and enjoy the view and people watching all the happy Maui folks whether visitors or locals! Well, not everyone is happy, but that's real life. :-) Lots of places in south Kihei are a good little walk from the rental grounds to a beach, also! I would much rather be on the same side as the ocean and drive to the beach, than be across the street and not drive, but have a long walk with all my beach comforts (chair, boogie board, bag, towel)! But to SEE and HEAR the ocean from your lanai is priceless!

Your post just bounced out at me as I sit by the simple pool at Koa, next to a sleeping husband. The fair is next for us, so some down time was needed and I thought I would give you my POV! Deb

Milwaukie, Oregon
7. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Deb,

Haycraft is popular with locals and busy on the weekends.

Often nobody there during the week.

We must have similar travel styles. Your trip sounds perfect so far! I might have to try Po'olenalena again in January. I was there once (I think) and the ocean was too rough for my wimpy swimming style. I've always wondered if I was at the right place. Will check map and TA info more carefully next time.

Fort St. John...
reviews: 1
8. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

We stayed at a one bedroom at Maalaea Kai this past April. Grounds/pool nice. Would stay there again. Regarding the wind, we found the building acted as a wind break and didn’t find it annoying at all. We liked being based out of Ma’alaea, as it’s only around 20 minutes to drive to Wailea, or Lahaina or Paia.

For a snorkeling resource we purchased a ‘Maui Snorkeling Guide’ pdf ebook from tropicalsnorkeling.com/maui-snorkeling.html for $22.95, and felt it was a great tool to maximize quality snorkel and beach time on the island. Also recommend Po'olenalena Beach. And for reasonably priced lunch try 808 Deli in Kihei, very tasty sandwiches and salads. Cheers, Winston

Los Angeles
9. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Thank you so much, this is actually very helpful!

These posts have been priceless! We're going to check out the snorkeling book and your other recommendations! We are already booked at the laulao and now, for some lovely waterfall hikes........mahalo!

Thanks so much!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
10. Re: Need to choose between Maalea Kai and Lauloa for February

Just go to the main Maui forum and check out the Top Questions on the right hand side of the page. Click on "Where do I Snorkel"? Great info right at your fingertips. My favorites in south Maui are Ulua and Maluaka Beaches and Moanakala (aka the dumps).

For waterfall hikes you will have to journey along the road to Hana.