We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air conditioning

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oroville, California
air conditioning

Will we need a/c in condo on Maui in November? In my search I notice there are not a lot of condos with a/c so wonder if it's really necessary. Thanks.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 197
1. Re: air conditioning

For me, it is an absolute must! Not only for the cool, but for some peace and quiet. Without AC, you will hear your neighbors whenever they get up or get home late. Because of the time difference, most folks from the US will be anywhere from 2 to 6 hours off of their sleeping habits - lots of people out and about really, really early in the morning and they will make noise.

In addition, if you are on a ground floor condo, you will have no privacy. If you want mother nature to keep you cool, you really can't keep the drapes closed; they will either blow open or just block any potential breeze.

I also find cigarette smoke intolerable so smoke drifting into my open windows would make me very unhappy. Although most places don't allow smoking on balconies, lanais, or inside the condo, the smokers will be outside. What a pity if your room is above an area where people congregate to smoke.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
2. Re: air conditioning

It comes down to personal preference. Even before living there, I really didn't need it and don't now. A lot of people wouldn't think of renting a condo without a/c. The reason most places don't have it is the cost of electricity. The highest cost in the nation. Best thing to do if you aren't sure is to rent a place that does have it. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 16
3. Re: air conditioning

We were in Napili in march 2011 had air but did not need it but we like to be on at least the 2nd floor so we can keep our lanai doors open love them trade winds.

Next trip is next summer and I am getting a condo that has air.

Queens, NY
reviews: 92
4. Re: air conditioning

We just retujrned and did not use any air conditioning in Maui. It is so cool at night. However, if you're used to having the ac on high at home, you may need it. It all depends how high (or low) your thermostat is set at home for comfort. We loved not having to put on the ac.

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
5. Re: air conditioning

I notice you posted this is under "Maalaea. Is that where you plan to stay? If so, you are probably in luck! It's noted for being one of the windiest spots on Maui and therefore one of the better places to stay without A/C. I've been staying in Maalaea frequently in recent years. The weird thing is that almost all of the condos I have rented there and in North Kihei DO have air conditioning. These condos are about half the price of ones I was renting in So. Kihei previously that did not have A/C. Go figure.

Chicagoland
6. Re: air conditioning

We're always in Hawaii in winter. There has never been a year that I did not use the A/C at least once. Last winter we had Kona winds for several days, and we used our A/C more than usual.

As Msfuzz said, the reason A/C isn't always offered is the high cost of electricity (and condo guests who thoughtlessly run it 24/7).

I wouldn't rent anywhere the A/C was not an option, although we much prefer fresh air. (Don't think about leaving your sliders open *at night*, regardless of what floor you're on -- unless the sliders have night locks.)

Palm Springs...
reviews: 6
7. Re: air conditioning

Just back from Maui !!

A/C a "MUST"......Next trip !!!!

Indiana
8. Re: air conditioning

A/C is a personal preference. I have stayed with a/c and without. I will be in Napili next month and can't wait to hear the sound of the surf from inside the unit. I definitely wouldn't say it is a must.

Texas
reviews: 15
9. Re: air conditioning

For all the reasons the first reply MMFFPP said, you need to be able to close your windows and use A/C. If your condo faces the "wrong" direction, you won't get cross ventilation. There are always smokers outside and smoke goes everywhere. If you are between condo buildings, you won't get cross ventilation. It is very important to have A/C again for all the reasons stated in the first reply.

Edited: 7:06 pm, September 27, 2012
Oroville, California
10. Re: air conditioning

Thanks everyone for the sound advice - I think the a/c is a must - especially if there's humidity. I was in St. Thomas in August and about melted - no a/c!! Thanks again!