We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 20
Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

Maalaea Kai is $30/ni. less expensive, and the units are virtually identical. Can someone convince me to spend the $300 (for 10 nights) to be at Kana'I a Nalu instead?

Thanks in advance!

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 22
1. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

Both properties have nice lawn areas and plenty of lawn chairs, which is important to me. There are some differences in the complexes and their locations: The pool at Kanai a Nalu is heated; Maalaea Kai is not.

Maalaea Kai is closer walking distance to Tradewinds Deli and Harbor Shops. Most Maalaea Kai units do not have washer/dryer or A/C whereas Kanai a Nalu units have both. And...a big one for me...Kanai A Nalu has a small beach and swimming right out front; Maalaea Kai is rocky oceanfront...no swimming except in the pool.

For me, it would depend a lot on the specific unit. I am sending you a private message about a unit at Maalaea Kai that I checked out in person and crossed off my "maybe" list.

South Haven...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

You have to check out the view, that is what you are paying for. If the unit does not have a wwasher/dryer, there will be a nice clean available washer room just down the hall.

We ave stayed at Maalaea Kai twice. & our preference is Lauloa, all because of the view. You must look close, as some of the bldgs. are not facing full ocean but rather the bay area. If you can see Molakini from the lani view, the full ocean view will be stunning, Also, be mindful of the height of the trees which could block your view. Trust me, you will spend most of your time on the lani looking at the wonderful ocean. Make sur you have a good view & comfy not cheap furniture

We could not book this next winter at Lauloa, so we booked at Maalaea Kai. which also has a good view. DO NOT get a ground floor unit if possible. The view is limited.

Hawaii
3. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

Maalaea Kai has a HEATED pool since 2010. I was in it last week and am an owner there. The views are great and the Maalaea shopping village is walking distance.

Edited: 4:45 pm, August 21, 2012
Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 17
4. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

I am going to be staying at the Ma'alaea Kai for the first time in February. Used vrbo. I am not sure what time of year you are traveling, but in February, there will be lots of whales in the harbour. Also, it is an easy walk to catch the boats for Molokini snorkeling trips, and whale watching trips.

Bonus... Waterfront restaurant is now open too, another easy walk!

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 22
5. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

Good to know about the heated pool at Maalaea Kai! Thanks for the update.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 1
6. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

Also - just to keep this updated for any future searchers - when I was looking between the two properties, the units at Maalaea Kai DID have A/C....and the unit at Kanai a Nalu we we're considering did NOT have A/C. So both have heated pools, and it's on a unit by unit basis if there is AC.

7. Re: Kana'I a Nalu or Maalaea Kai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 11, 2013