We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How windy does it get in Maalaea?

Which Maalaea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
How windy does it get in Maalaea?

I am planning a trip to Maui and I found a beautiful ocean view condo in Maalaea. I like the idea of it being more quiet than Lahaina and Wailea areas, but I have seen a couple of comments about the wind. Is it windy every day? And excessively? I plan to go in Novemberl

14 replies to this topic
Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
1. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

After 20+ years of staying in different areas of Maui, Maalaea is now my favorite "home base". I like the quiet, central location, the great ocean views, and the good condo prices. It does get quite windy mid-day. For me it is not "excessive", but others may disagree. I have experienced just as much wind in S. Kihei at times, and prefer it to the still heat of places like Lahaina.

What complex are you considering? We like Kanai A Nalu because of the heated pool and the lovely landscaping. There is a narrow beach, also, with good entry for ocean swimming. I have been there in January, May, and November. More beach in November. Never bothered by cane smoke, vog, bugs, etc. Arriving Thursday for my 4th stay. I'll let you know if I still like it!

Walnut Creek...
2. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

Tentatively staying at Lauloa. The views from the unit (4th floor) were so stunning (at least online!)

Milwaukie, Oregon
reviews: 24
3. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

Lau Loa looks very nice. I like the big lanais, with I think run the length of both the bedroom and living room. Good choice!

Walnut Creek...
4. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

Thank you. I feel better now!

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
5. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

I lived in North Kihei for almost 5 years. Just a few minutes down the road from Maalaea. Yes, it's windy, but nothing I couldn't handle. Most of the buildings will block the wind and like Barbara said, it mainly picks up in the afternoon hours. You will enjoy the peace and quiet of the bay and the central location to anything else you may want to do.

Walnut Creek...
6. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

Thank you. I don't want to make a bad decision, and I loved the condo pictures I saw online of the ocea views. I'm definitely going to go with it!

Princeton, New...
reviews: 11
7. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

We didn't find the wind a significant problem during our January stay. While we found Maalaea to be a bit quiet (few shops/restaurants) we like to cook so that worked for us.

Most valuable was the central location. We could easily get to the Lahiana, Kihei, Makena and Kahului within 30 minutes except at rush hour.

Phoenix, Arizona
8. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

We are in Maalaea arriving 3/14, staying at Maalaea Yacht Marina for the same reason, looks great from pics, good price, seems centrally located. If it is really windy in the afternoons, where are good places close by for snorkeling/beach fun?? My husband likes to siesta in the afternoons so I will be on my own, I am the adventurous one but want to be safe also. Maybe even a surfing lesson if it is not too $$$. Thanks!!!

canadian rockies
reviews: 80
9. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

I don't want to argue with the other posters but I would not want to stay in Maalaea or Kihei. I know these locations are less money than West Maui or South but they are not as nice!! The landscape is not what I want to see when I'm in Maui. We have travelled 5 Hawaiian islands and on Maui we usually stay at Ka'anapali or part time on the east side for something different. For your first time(maybe only visit) I would stay where it has vegetation, nice landscape, good snorkelling, beach , sun, and not as much wind. Yes Maalaea is windy!!!! The area is flat, dry and lacking nice vegetation. Napili Bay isn't as expensive as Ka'anapali. However there are some good deals on Ka'anapali Beach as well. Lets face it in Hawaii you want palm trees, flowers, sand beaches.... We will be there in 2 weeks April 2011 ! can't wait.

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 110
10. Re: How windy does it get in Maalaea?

I'm another Kihei lover and since the wind keeps things cool it is no bother to me - keep my shades on to keep the blowing sand out and keep on going. A hat with a chin strap is ideal anywhere in the afternoon - (I hate chasing hats) truly the wind will blow when and where it wants to. Since I like to seek cooler things to do in the afternoons rather than lay on the beach it's never been a problem at all. I love North Kihei for the quiet and the vibe - not much difference in wind from there to Maalaea - so I would certainly go for it.

There are lots of flowers, beaches and palm trees in South Maui - a lot of us like the non-resort atmosphere.

Reply to: How windy does it get in Maalaea?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted