We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cars & days out

Which Lofer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
York
reviews: 12
Cars & days out

Hi, my family and I are coming to Lofer in early August and would some reccomendations of places to go & things to do. We are an outdoor loving family with children aged 6 & 4, is it worth hiring a car whilst we are there? if so can this be done locally or will it involve a trip back to Saltzburg? any suggestions very gratefully received.

2 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Cars & days out

A car is desirable. There are no trains in Lofer, only busses, but many places worth visiting.

Where will you be landing and from where will you be departing from home? You should plan on pickimg up and dropping off your car in the same country (i.e. Germany or Austria) to save the cross-border drop -off charge. I suggest you fly and leave from either Munich, or Memmingen if you want to fly Ryanair. The latter will add about 1 1/2 hrs to the trip to Lofer. Or fly and leave from Salzburg, which is closest to Lofer.

Places worth visiting: (1) Saalfelden and the summer Rodelbahn (toboggan ride), then continue to Zell am See, take cable car to the top of Schmittenhoehe; return to Lofer. (2) Berchtesgaden: Visit salt mine outside of town. Kids will love the long slide and boat ride in cavern. Take gondola lift to top of Jenner. I think they would enjoy this more than the bus ride/in-mountain elevator to the Kehlsteinhaus (akia Eagles Nest). The Koenigsee boat ride is pretty, but probably boring for the kids after a while. There are no facilities on board of the boats (3) Drive to St.Johann - Ellmau and take funicular to the top station of ther Harte Kaiser. From there is a nice hike to a nearby alm. En route, you will most likely see Drachenflieger (hanggliders) galore. (4) The Herrenchiemsee Palace of King Ludwig on an island in the Chiemsee lake. Boats start from Stock, near Prien. (5) A day in Salzburg

(6) There are many hikes directly from Lofer.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Destination Expert
for Salzburg
reviews: 47
2. Re: Cars & days out

And don't forget the bread.

Just go into any bakery and ask for a "Lofer Bread"

Reply to: Cars & days out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lofer