We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

Which Lucea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lewisburg, West...
reviews: 3
Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

Are there an issue at Grand Palladium this time of year? Thank you!

west virginia
reviews: 22
1. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

We go in September/October but never had issues with either.

Cork, Ireland
reviews: 25
2. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

I have a serious issue with sand flies / Mosquitos , after years of trying different solutions : no perfume , rubbing alcohol etc ....... I have been given the best advice , take an antihistamine every day for one week prior to the vacation , continue to take one every day while there , hopefully no issues !!!! Have fun

Connecticut
reviews: 1
3. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

in my experience, sensitivity to mosquitos and sand fleas is a personal to your body chemistry.

I am not sensitive and I do not use bug spray at all when in Jamaica.

I do not think one period of the Jamaican year is any better or worse that other periods.

Having said that, I do not sit close to the sand near/after sunset (prefer the hot tub) and I avoid sand walking after a rain storm. Which is to say that sand fleas come to the sand surface when the temp goes down.

Some resorts spray nightly for mosquitos and some do not. Like I mentioned above, they tend not to bother me.

When needed, DEET-based spray is the only effective solution.

Edited: 7:14 pm, February 23, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 39
4. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

I don't know how much it varies by region, but we just got back from Silver Sands (near Duncans) on the 23rd, and the bugs were brutal. Even my husband, who rarely gets bites, was badly bitten (and I had dozens of bites on each leg). Our villa is right on the beach, and we are in/on the sand most of the day (though not too much at night), and we had some rain early in the trip, so that might have aggravated things, but we were all in agreement that it was as bad a year as we could remember for bugs.

Ottawa Ontario
reviews: 9
5. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

Some of our group are affected by this as well and I may have found the answer. We were there for 2 weeks in late february an early March and for once I came home without a bite. My sister and her husband didn't escape them however. I think the reason was the moisturing cream that I threw in my suitcase at the last minute. It's called MONOI and it's from Fruits & Passions. After googling the word when we got home I found out that apparently monoi oil is used as an insect repellent by Tahitians.... it's the only thing I can figure must have been saving me because I usually end up with swollen itchy oozing bites, not at all pleasant but not enough to stop me from returning to Silver Sands over and over again.....

Durham, North...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

ALWAYS expect bugs.

My group never gets bitten - we get our insect repellent information (only) by:

Google: "really Complete Insect Repellent"

Analysis of Products, Ingredients, Warnings, Efficacy, Duration of Protection, Toxicity, etc....

Dartmouth, Canada
reviews: 9
7. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

I'm going to give the antihistamine thing a shot.

When we were in Punta Cana a few years ago, my husband was getting lots of bites on his legs and I didn't have any (and usually the beasties like me more). We finally figured out that I was covering my lounger on the beach completely with towels before i got on (prevents those funny marks on the back of the legs from the lounger). He tried it and no new bites. Now he does the same thing.

8. Re: Mosquitos and Sand Fleas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 08, 2014