We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Palladium Lazy River?

Which Lucea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Grand Palladium Lazy River?

Thinking of booking the Grand Palladium as an excursion when we dock in Jamaica last week in April. I read somewhere that this resort has a lazy river but unable to absolutely verify this. Haven't seen it in any previous quest photos so I was wondering if anyone can tell me for sure that one exists. I am taking my 80+ year old mother and her sister also 80+ and figure this might me something they could do.

mexico
reviews: 25
21. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

Let’s see if I can help to clarify a few things about the beaches of our resorts in Jamaica.

First of all I would like to thank Blues_Pirate because of his idea of including a link to an online satellite image of the resort. That gave me an idea so I had a look to Google Earth. So, if you go to Google Earth and change the date and go to 15/03/2004, when the resort was not even planned, it’s easy to see how the coast was then and then. If you go to the next date, 02/22/2007, the resort was being under construction, there is some white sand already but the beach is not completed and the two stone breakwaters were not built yet. So it’s easy to compare what man made or not.

When I was talking about what we call “Las Brisas Beach” I was referring to the area between both stone breakwaters since from there to the first villa at the GP Jamaica stays more as a rocky shore, with some small sandy places. It is true that there is sand there too but basically to have some sunbeds. This is the image you can see nowadays in Google Earht.

When the hotel was designed, and always counting for the proper authorizations, we did in fact, enhance an existing shoreline located by the poolside/ Las Brisas area of the Hotel. It is within that endeavor that we found ourselves parties to litigation involving a dishonest vendor who we contracted based on recommendations from other Hotels on the island. Nonetheless, following a rigorous defense and uncontroverted scientific evidence and testimony, the court ruled there was no evidence to support the claimants' position. Both criminal and civil charges were filed against the unscrupulous vendor and verdicts in our favor rendered. Since there was no way to have the type of sand this vendor was supposed to sell us, silicone base gravel-like sand was in fact purchased from a local mill in order to enlarge the existing base of the Las Brisas zone. The last badge of that sand was purchased in 2010. Since, we progressively nourished that beach with the SHORELOCK method, using the existing tidal systems and a natural self-extending process. But, what is this SHORELOCK method?

Being honest, if there is any type of human construction that can affect the environment is a hotel. And if it’s a resort of this site…more. Due to this, and being consequence with the days we are living in, ours is a company truly committed with the environment, not only in our resort in Jamaica but in all our destinations. It is not the place to talk about that but all our resort, including our two resorts in Jamaica have been recognized and awarded and, as a matter of fact, the three beaches of the resort have been awarded with The Blue Flag recognition. We investigated and researched for ecofriendly ways to enhance the beaches and to prevent erosion and, obviously, the investment done, especially during storm/hurricane/surge weather. In that connection, we contracted with SHORELOCK ( http://www.hydroscoastal.com/innovation/shorelock/) in order to achieve the latter objectives. This innovative and pioneering method has been adopted not only by other large Hotels, but also by environmental groups seeking to restore the Negril beach as well, which was damaged following last year's storms.

And that’s the story or these beaches.

By the way, if I can be allowed to joke a little bit, using again Google Earth, Sunset Cove is more or less 210 meters long; the adults cove is more or less 55; Las Brisas, between both stone breakwaters, is more or less 210 but considering its line let’s consider 250 meter long and the distance from the second stone breakwater is another 250 meters long. So, the total length of natural sand is more or less 255/260 meters. The total length of the manmade area is 250 meters between both breakwaters or 500 if we consider the line until the next natural small cove. So if we consider option number 1 we could say 50% of the beaches are manmade and 50% are natural, right? If we consider option number two we would double amount of manmade area. And yes, the rest of the coast line is rocks and cliffs, very nice, by the way.

Kingston, Canada
reviews: 1
22. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

filnuovum,

I assume that you are you a representative for Fiesta Resorts. If so it was my understanding that you are supposed to identify yourself when posting.

Interesting tools in Google Earth and I appreciate that you pointed out the historical imagery tool. Out of curiosity I did the straight line measurements as well. I measured Sunset at 173M and Coral at 43M totalling 216M of natural beach shoreline. I measured Las Brisas/Pool area beach and I come up with 470M. So the total length of man made beach is 69% or slightly over 2/3. I agree with your option two and apologise for my earlier assumptions.

mexico
23. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

Der Blues_Pirate,

You are right, perhaps I should have identified myself but if you go to my profile you will see all my information and who I am. Since 4 years ago I am in charge of the operations of my company for all our resorts in México and the Caribbean but I have been a member of Tripadvisor since nearly the beginning and this is why I keep my nick since then. I was not directly involved during the design and the construction of the resort in Jamaica so I don’t know the area before but, obviously, I do now.

There is no need to apologize since it’s all you have tried to do, as everybody, is to help others and to provide information and this is always a good thing. Obviously the beaches at the resort are not like the beach in Negril, like others in Jamaica or other famous beaches of the Caribbean like Bávaro or Cancún but, honestly, I think they are nice and there are several options for everybody.

Many thanks for your opinions and suggestions. Perhaps some of them will not like us but since I really think that different points of view help the world to move on and to be better, please don’t stop. I used to have more time to be in the forums and I really miss it but, unfortunately, a day has only 24 hours.

west virginia
reviews: 18
24. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

Thanks Felipe.

Blues_Pirate:

filnuovum aka Felipe is something like..GM of Caribbean Operations for Fiesta. He posts when necessary..

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 17
25. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

Good post filnuovum.

mexico
26. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

To be honest...I post when I can!! haha!

27. Re: Grand Palladium Lazy River?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 09, 2014