We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

Which Paleokastritsa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HAIFA
reviews: 5
George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

I want to share with you my experience with Spiros and his son the owners of the Rent a Car agencies in Paleokastritsa.

The name is George Michalas - rent a car.

I viewed the prices that they published next to the Alipa port - they have a brunch over there. They indicated 22 Euros for a car per day class A.

It was cheaper than the offer I had in my hotel so I went in. I spoke with Spiros's wife who was very nice and she phoned Spiros who came shortly after.

He decided that he needs to take my girlfriend and I to the second brunch that is about 2.5 km from Alipa - next to Aris supermarket.

We set down and ask for a car for 3 days. The price went up to 115 Euros instead of 3X22 = 66. double!!

Spiros explained that it is the taxes and insurance. There is no option to lower he price with no insurance.

By law of any western country this is not allowed and ilegal.

We asked for a lower price and he asked for cash.

He then lowered the price for 105.

The returning time was 3 days + 6 H. For the extra 6 H he asked for 18 more Euros.

He than went to bring a car which had no fuel in it. No fuel means that the little light was on and i can die any second now.

I asked for the money back and refused for the kind offer for a lift back to the port area.

The interacion with this person was my only dispointment during my 1 month island hopping in Greece.

Problem is that he own what seems to be the only rent a car agency in Paleokastritsa.

I suggest to ask the hotel to order it on your behalf - I got the same deal for 80 Euros for 3 days.

Cheers

Guy and Cherry

18 replies to this topic
Legnano, Italy
reviews: 9
1. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

similar experience with him....

if possible try to avoid....

DERBY
reviews: 11
2. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

We totally disagree, we got a good deal, nice car and everything was fine. We went to them because Cosmos could not book a car for us as the company they use was fully booked, but found George cheaper anyway.

Blaenau Ffestiniog...
reviews: 1
3. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

My family and I have known Spiros and Theodora Michalas for years they are hard working and honest folks. We used to own a property on the isle and always recommended our guests to hire a car from them. Their prices are fair and really are underpriced compared to most on the isle. A motorbike/scooter would cost less and it may be a misunderstanding that one of the hirers failed to note that when prices are indicated at such and such as in that case it is FROM 22 euros and that may have been the problem. Also Spiros is very negotiable on 5 and 7 day rentals too. The insurances/taxes in Greece are expensive and that makes a difference.

street
4. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

We hired a car last May and we had no problems at all with the price or the car. We are going again in May and will use them again happily.

Blaenau Ffestiniog...
reviews: 1
5. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

I wish to reiterate that the reviewers Guy and Cherry from Israel and the anon from Italy have made inaccurate comments about the G Michalas ( Spiros and George) Paleokastritsa car rentals in Corfu. This car rental business is a small family run operation and has been so for many years where people return to time and again. If they were to be so as the comments made why would they get repeat business year after year? They are HONEST GOOD PEOPLE who work tirelessly to give their clients the best and most competitive personal service they do not deserve negative comments. The prices they ask are fair and can be negotiated for 5 7 or 14 day periods at further reductions and despite increases in tax and insurance they do try to maintain a competitive edge. So holidaymakers please try them for yourself as you will find as my family do, a second to none service ethos and always a cheery smile.

Sidmouth, United...
reviews: 65
6. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

I hired a lovely shiny silver Panda for 2 days from George Michalas in May as it was next to the villa Anthoussa in Paleo where we were staying. It was a very good deal indeed for 2 days as the the price quoted was less than Avis Car Hire were quoting for just one day's hire. George Michalas were friendly, courteous and professional from start to finish, the car was spotlessly clean and in good condition and we returned the car having looked after it carefully with the half a tank of petrol they gave to us.

Deal, United Kingdom
reviews: 3
7. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

We have gone to paleo 2 times a year for last 17years and always used George michalas car hire. George & Theodora work very hard in their buisnes and give good cars every time . George would NOT cheat on any body , I think guy cherry mis understood what he said. As for the fuel I don't understand all car hire company's say you return the car as you find it. So you only put the amount in what you need. If people want to rent a car from their hotel let them , We know you get a good deal from George. George &Theodora keep up the good work. And we look forward to coming. Back to paleo in September, And have a good car at a good price. Love To You All. DAVID & LYNN. BROWN. xxxxxxx

Haifa, Israel
8. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

I have had a great experience renting both cars and scooters from Spiros, his wife Theodora and their son George Michalas at their family operated business in Paleokastritsa.

I come to Corfu often and I was always treated with highest level of professional and respectful service.

They always offered me a price that is below other agencies and their information ad that is on display is very clear about adding a fee for tax and insurance.

They always went out of their way in making sure that my needs will be met so I am a bit surprised that you were not 100% happy with what you got from the Michalas team tram.

I would highly recommend the Michalas rental for every visitor to beautiful Paleokastritsa, Corfu area.

אני ממליץ לכל הישראלים שמבקרים בקורפו לשכור רכב או קטנוע ממשפחת מיכאליס

במשך הזמו גם השכרתי "צימר" מהם במספר הדמנויות וגם חברים ומשפחה נהנו מהיחס במקום ומיושר הבעלים

אני סבור שמגיע להם רק שבח על רמת השרות והמחיר ההוגן שהם מציעים לאורחים ולמבקרים בקורפו ובפלאוקסטריטסה בפרט

עמי

חיפה

Edited: 12:38 pm, July 04, 2013
Rome, Italy
9. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

I would like to share my experience about George Michalas at Paleokastritsa port.

Needed to rent a scooter (80 CC) for some days, approaching the office at the port at 17.30 and a woman is sleeping on the couch, knocked the door three times and she finally woke up and being pissed off because i woke her up (Madame, actually i am a Client!!!). Asked about the possibilities for me and she offered a Suzuki 80 CC engine automatic gears for 100 € for 4 days. I was astonished as in the last three years i rented the same bike in other greek islands and the price range has always been from 70 to 80 €. Nevermind..probably that is Paleokastritsa market and even trying to get a discount..at the end i accepted the price, especially because she mentioned that 100 € is the border price for the her to make any income and for less than 100 € she would prefer to keep the scooter with her without renting. But the grumpy woman did not have any scooter available at that time, so told me to come back the following morning at 9 and asked " Give me 50 € now" and started to write a kind of receipt on some kind of toilet paper..which she probably thought using for give me the guarantee of her commitment. Of course i answered "No!" so she immediately said "20 €" which makes me wondering how important were the fifty euro, as after 2 seconds she just pretended less than the half.. Anyway i replied i would not give her 20 cents for such piece of paper ..she then started to scream like hell, so i left her without adding more words. I then rented for less price from another one in the main street. Please kindly avoid to rent from George!!!!

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
10. Re: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review

<<I wish to reiterate that the reviewers Guy and Cherry from Israel and the anon from Italy have made inaccurate comments about the G Michalas ( Spiros and George) Paleokastritsa car rentals in Corfu>>

Why are they "inaccurate?" They have posted about their experiences and are perfectly at liberty to do so. Just because you know the people who own the company doesn't give you the right to decry anyone else who posts about them, especially if they disagree with your viewpoint.

<<they don't deserve negative comments>>

Why not? If the people above didn't feel they had a good deal, then why shouldn't they post "negative comments"?

if you went to a restaurant that people rated highly, and then had a poor meal, you'd expect to be able to post your comments freely, so why can't they?

Reply to: George and Spiros Michalas - Rent a Car review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paleokastritsa
Recent Conversations