We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is it like?

Which Luz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby
reviews: 30
what is it like?

Thinking of Luz for august - can anyone give me a flavour of Luz. Is it a quiet resort and authetically portuguese - or a little too 'english'. the pictures seem to say one thing but the names of the english pubs and restaurant another.

want somewhere quiet with gorgeous beaches for holiday rentla - is this the place?

thank you

merseyside
reviews: 18
1. Re: what is it like?

its no longer authentic Portuguese thats very hard to locate anywhere on Algarve,there are lots of nice restaurants and great beach plus good supermarket and you are close enough to pop in and out of Lagos for more choice it is a quiet resort no clubs or banging music its very laid back ,but a lot of prime rentals will have been booked up months ago,there are still good Portuguese restaurants there as well as those with a more continental flavour

also have a look at Ferraguda or Burgau if you are looking for a smaller resort

Derby
reviews: 30
2. Re: what is it like?

thank you

have emailed a few owners around both areas you mentioned. Is Lagos too noisy/English...it looks lovely around the marina

merseyside
reviews: 18
3. Re: what is it like?

no Lagos is far from noisy its a lovely place with nice chilled attitude certainly not english

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 26
4. Re: what is it like?

I have stayed in both Lagos and Luz many times and the fact that I keep going back is testament to how lovely they both are... and I'm very fussy. Even though Lagos is much bigger, it still retains it's considerable charm and of course the lovely Marina makes it very attractive too. Luz is quieter with less restaurants to choose from, but with a lovely family beach and a tranquil atmosphere at night - you can't go wrong in either. My daughter and her partner are going this June for 10 days and they can't wait! Don't forget to take a trip on a little motor boat from the quayside in Lagos (Avenida dos Descobrimentos) for a trip to the Grottos - you don't need to do the expensive boats...

Tavira, Portugal
reviews: 3
5. Re: what is it like?

IMHO Luz has a much more English feel than Lagos, which is large enough to be a bit of everything.

B

http://www.movingtoportugal.org

Ireland
reviews: 2
6. Re: what is it like?

We love luz . It is very englishy though and not very Portuguese. We have been ther 3 times and stayed at st James . The views are amazing. We use it as a base to travel further west. Last year we never visited the beach or any restaurants. We travelled to Lagos each night and to martinhal most days. It's very windy but just so lovely. Going back soon.

Reading, United...
reviews: 65
7. Re: what is it like?

A late message - but if you still have not decided it might help .....

We go to Luz once every couple of years - to us it is a friendly, reliable, easy to stay place where we can relax at an easy pace. It is not authnetic Portugese any more, when we first visited 10 years ago it was more so, and sadly as the town has bult up away form the sea it has become very populated - but don't let that put you off - and try to avoid staying there as it is like a huge villa complex.

The main beach is lovely - the pictures are generally accurate - and the local walks are plesant, there is food for most and generally good enough quality.

The small (and I do mean small) local Roman Ruins hint to this being a popular location for a long time.

People are friendly - there is something for everyone and if you can find a place close to the sea the views are really excellent.

If you want traditional Portugal it will not be for you. If that is not so important and you want an easy way of life, a good beach and friendly people then give it a try.

Lagos is larger, less English, some very good restaurants and a nice market - but a little harder to potter about by the sea, and rather noisier.

8. Re: what is it like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Luz